ARTICLES and Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : ARTICLES and Discussion
Subject Topic: Perfect in Perspective of Eternity Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Bill Bremer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11/10/2016 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Bremer

Perfect kingdom relationships

Jesus came, preaching perfect kingdom relationships in perspective of eternity. He clearly taught eternal life in the kingdom that is to come in contrast to being cast into hell. In that vein, Jesus began His Sermon on the Mount with the Beatitudes.

• Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
  • Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
  • Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
  • Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
  • Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
  • Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.
  • Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  • Blessed are ye when men’ shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you. Matthew 5:3-12 KJV

Following that introduction, Jesus taught we are to be Salt and Light and proclaimed He came to fulfill the Law. He continued, teaching Anger should be quickly followed with Reconciliation. Then, taught Lust and Adultery, Divorce and Oaths are to be avoided.

Jesus concluded this first part of His sermon with Love your Enemies, urging: Ye therefore shall be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48 KJV). Context Mt 5

In context, we are to be perfect in loving our enemies. This perfect is from τέλειοι (teleioi). The primary meaning is for us to be mature, fully grown up in Christ. The perfect of our Father in heaven is from τέλειός (teleios), meaning complete.

Teleioi only occurs in four other verses. In order to help us get the flavor of what Jesus commanded, let’s look at these verses in newer translations.

Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature/teleioi. 1 Cor 14:20 NASB

All of us, then, who are mature/teleioi should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. Php 3:15:16 NIV

Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature/teleioi and fully assured. Col 4:12 NIV

But you must let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature/teleioi and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:4 ISV

Perfect as Paul puts it in cotext

In his letter to the saints in Christ Jesus at Phillipi, Paul states: “I do not say that I have already won the race or have already reached perfection/teteleiōmai. But I am pressing on.” Leading up to his explanation of perfect, Paul makes it clear that we cannot rely on works of the flesh like outward ceremonies, circumcision and misdirected zeal. Then he shows us what motivates him to press on to the  goal set before him. He closes with his exhortation: “Therefore let all of us who are mature/teleioi believers cherish these thoughts; and if in any respect you think differently, that also God will make clear to you. But whatever be the point that we have already reached, let us persevere in the same course.”

Yet all that was gain to mefor Christ’s sake I have reckoned it loss. Nay, I even reckon all things as pure loss because of the priceless privilege of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. And for His sake I have suffered the loss of everything, and reckon it all as mere refuse, in order that I may win Christ and be found in union with Him, not having a righteousness of my own, derived from the Law, but that which arises from faith in Christthe righteousness which comes from God through faith. I long to know Christ and the power which is in His resurrection, and to share in His sufferings and die even as He died; in the hope that I may attain to the resurrection from among the dead.

I do not say that I have already won the race or have already reached perfection/teteleiōmai. But I am pressing on, striving to lay hold of the prize for which also Christ has laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not imagine that I have yet laid hold of it. But this one thing I doforgetting everything which is past and stretching forward to what lies in front of me, with my eyes fixed on the goal I push on to secure the prize of God’s heavenward call in Christ Jesus. Therefore let all of us who are mature/teleioi believers cherish these thoughts; and if in any respect you think differently, that also God will make clear to you. But whatever be the point that we have already reached, let us persevere in the same course. Philippians 3:7-16 WNT Weymouth New Testament

That helps us understand what Jesus was teaching about kingdom relationships. Like Paul, we won’t be perfect until our resurrection, when that which is perfect has come. But, we strive for the prize with our eyes fixed on the goal

Perfect love

Love never fails. But if there are prophecies, they will be done away with; if there are languages, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be brought to an end. For our knowledge is imperfect, and so is our prophesying; but when the perfect state of things is come, all that is imperfect will be brought to an end. When I was a child, I talked like a child, felt like a child, reasoned like a child: when I became a man, I put from me childish ways. For the present we see things as if in a mirror, and are puzzled; but then we shall see them face to face. For the present the knowledge I gain is imperfect; but then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And so there remain Faith, Hope, Lovethese three; and of these the greatest is Love. 1 Cor 13:8-13 WNT

Related article: Deep Relationships in Perspective of Eternity

View Bill Bremer's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Bremer Visit Bill Bremer's Homepage
Rose Cooper

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11/10/2016 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Rose Cooper

Paul saw that perfection was there to be grasped, that the answer to this perfection was a spiritual
understanding, comprehension and acceptance of the deeper truth of the cross, but for whatever reason, failed
to reach it, thus he wrote “I do not say that I have already won the race or have already reached
perfection/teteleiōmai. But I am pressing on.”

Romans Chapter 8

8 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the life-giving
Spirit in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death.
3 For God achieved what the law
could not do because it was weakened through the flesh. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh
and concerning sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the righteous requirement of the law may be
fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

5 For those who live according to the flesh have their outlook shaped by the things of the flesh, but those who
live according to the Spirit have their outlook shaped by the things of the Spirit. 6 For the outlook of the
flesh is death, but the outlook of the Spirit is life and peace,
7 because the outlook of the flesh is
hostile to God, for it does not submit to the law of God, nor is it able to do so. 8 Those who are in the flesh
cannot please God. 9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in
you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, this person does not belong to him. 10 But if Christ is
in you, your body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is your life because of righteousness. 11 Moreover
if the Spirit of the one who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, the one who raised Christ from the dead
will also make your mortal bodies alive through his Spirit who lives in you.

12 So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh 13
(for if you live according to the flesh, you will die), but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the
body you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God. 15 For you did not receive
the spirit of slavery leading again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba,
Father.” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness to our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 And if children, then
heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ)—if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be
glorified with him.

18 For I consider that our present sufferings cannot even be compared to the coming glory that will be revealed
to us. 19 For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was
subjected to futility—not willingly but because of God who subjected it—in hope 21 that the creation itself
will also be set free from the bondage of decay into the glorious freedom of God’s children. 22 For we know
that the whole creation groans and suffers together until now. 23 Not only this, but we ourselves also, who
have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we eagerly await our adoption, the redemption
of our bodies.
24 For in hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope, because who hopes for what
he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with endurance. Romans 8:1-2

Here Paul clearly lays it out - the body is death and decay - the Spirit is life. We who have the firstfruits
of the Spirit i.e. salvation must follow the Spirit until we receive the deeper truth - the redemption of our
mortal bodies from decay.
View Rose Cooper's Profile Search for other posts by Rose Cooper

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version