ARTICLES and Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : ARTICLES and Discussion
Subject Topic: My sheep hear My voice—Jesus Part 1 Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Bill Bremer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11/29/2016 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Bremer

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27 KJV

That short verse helps us see how Jesus leads. From His parable of the Good Shepherd, Jesus reveals much about His relationship with us and our relationship with Him.

My sheep

Jesus calling us My sheep reveals we are His. God our Father has given us to Jesus.

My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one. Jn 10:27-30 HCSB

My sheep hear my voice

God gave us ears to hear His voice. Jesus came preaching the gospel of the kingdom (Mt 4:23; Mt 9:35; Mt 24:14; Mk 1:14-15). We heard Jesus from the Bible as we heard His words read to us, taught to us, preached to us or read them ourselves. By His Word and His Spirit, God called us (Ro 8:28-34) and by His grace, gave us hearts respond in faith (Eph 2:8-9; Jn 3:5-8). By the blessings of God, we hear.

Eyes to see, ears to hear

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. Mt 13:10-17 KJV

He that hath ears to hear, let him hear the Word of God

And when much people were gathered together, and were come to him out of every city, he spake by a parable: A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. And some fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience. LK 8:4-15 KJV

We hear Jesus by the Spirit

Jesus told His disciples He would ask the Father to send the Holy Spirit.

I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. Jn 14:16-17 NASB

These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Jn 14:25-26 NASB

Jesus knew He would have to lay down His life for His sheep, be resurrected and ascend to heaven before God could send the Holy Spirit

I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. Jn 10:14-16 NASB

What God promised has come

When the day of Pentecost had arrived, Peter declared:

Brothers, I can confidently speak to you about the patriarch David: He is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.Since he was a prophet, he knew that God had sworn an oath to him to seat one of his descendants, on his throne. Seeing this in advance, he spoke concerning the resurrection of the Messiah:“He was not left in Hades, and His flesh did not experience decay.”

God has resurrected this Jesus. We are all witnesses of this. Therefore, since He has been exalted to the right hand of God and has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit, He has poured out what you both see and hear. Acts 2:29-33 HCSB

Now, we hear, know, and love and obey Jesus as our Shepherd King by the Holy Spirit.

Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. Now if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will also bring your mortal bodies to life through His Spirit who lives in you. Ro 8:8-11 HCSB

Our Messiah must rule as King until the last enemy is conquered and the last enemy is death (Col 1:13-14; 1 Cor 15:20-28; Heb 10:10; Rev 1:1-6).

In kingdom relationships, we serve Christ by our right conduct, peace and joy through the Holy Spirit and God takes pleasure in us.

For the Kingdom of God does not consist of eating and drinking, but of right conduct, peace and joy, through the Holy Spirit; and whoever in this way devotedly serves Christ, God takes pleasure in him, and men highly commend him. Ro 14:17-18 WNT

Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. Heb 13:20-21 KJV

View Bill Bremer's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Bremer Visit Bill Bremer's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version