Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
Subject Topic: 1 CORINTHIANS 13—A Psalm of Love Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Bill Bremer

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12/20/2016 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Bill Bremer

a Comment | Edit

1 CORINTHIANS 13 is the love chapter of the Bible. It is a Psalm of love that takes us from our present to our future. To help us get its rich and encouraging flavor, I first put it in its poetic form for you from the Holman Christian Standard Bible. Then, to help savor and apply its deep meaning, I add references from the HCSB.

• 1If I speak human or angelic languages
  •     but do not have love,
  •     I am a sounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
  • 2If I have the gift of prophecy
  •     and understand all mysteries
  •     and all knowledge,
  •     and if I have all faith
  •     so that I can move mountains
  •     but do not have love, I am nothing.
  • 3And if I donate all my goods to feed the poor,
  •     and if I give my body in order to boast
  •     but do not have love, I gain nothing.
  • 4Love is patient, love is kind.
  •     Love does not envy,
  •     is not boastful, is not conceited,
  • 5does not act improper,
  •     is not selfish, is not provoked,
  •     and does not keep a record of wrongs.
  • 6Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
  •     but rejoices in the truth.
  • 7It bears all things, believes all things,
  •     hopes all things, endures all things.

• 8Love never ends.
  •     But as for prophecies,
  •     they will come to an end;
  •     as for languages, they will cease;
  •     as for knowledge, it will come to an end.
  • 9For we know in part,
  •     and we prophesy in part.
  • 10But when the perfect comes,
  •     the partial will come to an end.
  • 11When I was a child,
  •     I spoke like a child,
  •     I thought like a child,
  •     I reasoned like a child.
  • When I became a man,
  •     I put aside childish things.
  • 12For now we see indistinctly, as in a mirror,
  •     but then face to face.
  •     Now I know in part,
  •     but then I will know fully,
  •     as I am fully known.
  • 13Now these three remain:
  •     faith, hope, and love.
  •     But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13 HCSB

1 Corinthians 13 with references

• 1If I speak human or angelic languages
  •      but do not have love,a

love,a. Jn 13:35 By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

1 Jn 4:7-12 Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love. God’s love was revealed among us in this way: God sent His One and Only Son into the world so that we might live through Him. Love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Dear friends, if God loved us in this way, we also must love one another. No one has ever seen God. If we love one another, God remains in us and His love is perfected in us.

• I am a sounding gongb or a clanging cymbal.

gongb Mt 10:9 Don’t take along gold, silver, or copper for your money-belts

• 2If I have the gift of prophecyc

prophecyc. 1 Co 14:1 Pursue love and desire spiritual gifts, and above all that you may prophesy.

1 Co 14:3-6 But the person who prophesies speaks to people for edification, encouragement, and consolation. The person who speaks in another language builds himself up, but he who prophesies builds up the church. I wish all of you spoke in other languages, but even more that you prophesied. The person who prophesies is greater than the person who speaks in languages, unless he interprets so that the church may be built up.

But now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in other languages, how will I benefit you unless I speak to you with a revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?

1 Co 14:22-39 It follows that speaking in other languages is intended as a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers. But prophecy is not for unbelievers but for believers. Therefore, if the whole church assembles together and all are speaking in other languages and people who are uninformed or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your minds? But if all are prophesying and some unbeliever or uninformed person comes all and is judged by all. The secrets of his heart will be revealed, and as a result he will fall face down and worship God, proclaiming, “God is really among you.”

What then is the conclusion, brothers? Whenever you come together, each one has a psalm, a teaching, a revelation, another language, or an interpretation. All things must be done for edification. If any person speaks in another language, there should be only two, or at the most three, each in turn, and someone must interpret. But if there is no interpreter, that person should keep silent in the church and speak to himself and to God. Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should evaluate. But if something has been revealed to another person sitting there, the first prophet should be silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that everyone may learn and everyone may be encouraged. And the prophets’ spirits are under the control of the prophets, since God is not a God of disorder but of peace.

As in all the churches of the saints, the women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, they should ask their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church meeting. Did the word of God originate from you, or did it come to you only?

If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, he should recognize that what I write to you is the Lord’s command. But if anyone ignores this, he will be ignored. Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in other languages. But everything must be done decently and in order.

h 4:11 And He personally gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,

1 Th 5:20 on’t despise prophecies,

•      and understand all mysteries
  •      and all knowledge,
  •     and if I have all faith
  •     so that I can move mountainsd

mountainsd Mt 17:20 “Because of your little faith,” He told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

•     but do not have love, I am nothing.
  • 3And if I donate all my goods to feed the poor,
  •     and if I give my body in order to boaste

boaste Other mss read body to be burned

•      but do not have love, I gain nothing.
  • 4Love is patient,f love is kind.

patient,f 1 Th 5:14 nd we exhort you, brothers: warn those who are irresponsible, comfort the discouraged, help the weak, be patients with everyone.

•      Love does not envy,g

envy,g Nm 25:13 It will be a covenant of perpetual priesthood for him and his future descendants, because he was zealous for his God and made atonement for the Israelites.”

Gl 4:17 They are enthusiastic about you, but not for any good. Instead, they want to isolate you so you will be enthusiastic about them.

•     is not boastful, is not conceited,h

conceited,h 1 Co 4:6 Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the saying: “Nothing beyond what is written.” The purpose is that none of you will be inflated with pride in favor of one person over another.

• 5does not act improperly,
  •      is not selfish,i is not provoked,j

selfish,i Mk 10:45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His lifea ransom for many.”

Php 2:4 Everyone should look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

provoked,j  Ac 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit was troubled within him when he saw that the city was full of idols.
and does not keep a record of wrongs.

• 6Love finds no joy in unrighteousness
  •      but rejoices in the truth.k

truth.k Ps 119:142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Your instruction is true.

Jn 8:14 14 “Even if I testify about Myself,” Jesus replied, “My testimony is valid, because I know where I came from and where I’m going. But you don’t know where I come from or where I’m going.

Jn 14:66 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

• 7It bears all things, believes all things,
  •      hopes all things, enduresl all things.

enduresl  Jms 1:12 A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.

• 8Love never ends.m

never ends.m Mt 7:25 The rain fell, the rivers rose, and the winds blew and pounded that house. Yet it didn’t collapse, because its foundation was on the rock.

Mt 7:27 The rain fell, the rivers rose, the winds blew and pounded that house, and it collapsed. And its collapse was great! ”

Lk 6:49But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The river crashed against it, and immediately it collapsed. And the destruction of that house was great! ”

Lk 11:17 Knowing their thoughts, He told them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is headed for destruction, and a house divided against itself falls.

Lk 13:4 Or those that the tower in Siloam fell on and killed— do you think they were more sinful than all the people who live in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well! ”

Lk 16:17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter in the law to drop out.

Ac 15:16 After these things I will return and rebuild David’s fallen tent. I will rebuild its ruins and set it up again,

Heb 11:30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after being encircled by the Israelites for seven days.

Rv 11:13 At that moment a violent earthquake took place, a tenth of the city fell, and 7,000 people were killed in the earthquake. The survivors were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.

Rv 16:19 The great city split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. Babylon the Great was remembered in God’s presence; He gave her the cup filled with the wine of His fierce anger.

•       But as for prophecies,
  •      they will come to an end;
  •      as for languages, they will cease;
  •      as for knowledge, it will come to an end.
  • 9For we know in part,
  •      and we prophesy in part.
  • 10But when the perfect comes,
  •      the partial will come to an end.
  • 11When I was a child,
  •      I spoke like a child,
  •      I thought like a child,
  •      I reasoned like a child.
  •      When I became a man,
  •      I put aside childish things.
  • 12For now we see indistinctly,n as in a mirror,o

indistinctly,n Or indirectly

mirror,o  Ancient mirrors were normally made out of polished metals and were not as clear as modern ones.

•      but then face to face.p

face to face.p 1 Jn 3:2 ear friends, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him because we will see Him as He is.

•      Now I know in part,
  •      but then I will know fully,q

know fully,q Pr 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Jn 17:3 This is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and the One You have sent—Jesus Christ.

1 Jn 4:8 he one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

•      as I am fully known.r

known.r 1 Co 8:3 ut if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.

Gl 4:9 But now, since you know God, or rather have become known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and bankrupt elemental forces? Do you want to be enslaved to them all over again?

• 13Now these three remain:
  •      faith, hope,s and love.

hope,s 1 Th 1:3 e recall, in the presence of our God and Father, your work of faith, labor of love, and endurance of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ,

•      But the greatest of these is love.

View Bill Bremer's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Bremer Visit Bill Bremer's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version