Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
OpenHeaven.com Forum : The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
Subject Topic: AN IDOL CALLED THE ’CHURCH’ - Ian Turton Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/29/2009 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

By Ian & Jeannette Turton,
www.miraclerevival.com 

“The church is the most powerful thing on Earth”
“What church do you go to?”
“We went to church on Sunday”
“Welcome to the house of God today”
“Bring them to church and they will get saved”
“Church leaders are the most important thing in building the church”
“We need to be relevant to our culture to effectively build the church”
“I am passionate about the church”
“Bring your offering so we can build the house of God”

These are just a few of the statements that we hear over and over again but have you ever wondered if they are correct, are they scriptural?

About three years ago the Lord started bringing my attention to various things I have learned over the nearly 30 years of ministry. It all started when He spoke to me with such a force it was almost audible in a conference I was attending on church leadership. He said very clearly “beware of socio humanistic philosophy” – I said “what on earth is that”, I didn’t have a clue what that meant. He then continued showing me over the next half an hour all what was going on in the ‘church’ and then confirmed it by giving me a living example that I clearly recognized. I went home from the conference and did a Google search on the term ‘socio humanistic philosophy’ and added the word ‘Christian’ to it. I was amazed at what I read and began to understand what the Lord had shown me. Basically that the church was rampant with this philosophy. (I will go into this later in this publication) Over the last three years he has expounded on that revelation and this study is the result of everything the Lord has shown Jeannette and myself.

Just to back up a little. The Lord spoke very clearly to me 4 years ago to go to and live in a small town in New Zealand called Ashburton from our Home in Brisbane, Australia. For three and a half years we questioned the Lord as to why He took us there because as far as our ministry is concerned it died. We had been ministering there for many, many years prior to moving there. What was once a place where we had seen God do incredible miracles and His presence manifest in amazing ways turned into a place of dry bones for us.

We now understand that the Lord took us physically out of the ‘system’ of the ‘church’ we were so actively involved in by taking us to that small country town and has been getting the ‘system’ out of us ever since.
I started seeing things differently and for some reason I started cringing at the statements like the above when I said them or when I heard someone else say them. It got worse the more I heard and it seemed like my spirit was tuned into picking up those sort of things. It got extremely bad when I heard a whole sermon by one of Australia’s most well known preachers. He spoke about how great the church is, how powerful it is and how much of a privilege it is to serve in the house. My spirit squirmed and then I started thinking “hold on – he hasn’t even mentioned the Lord, God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit once through the whole sermon and I started thinking things like ‘the church isn’t the most powerful thing on Earth – the Holy Spirit is’ and questioning whether the church is in actual fact the House of God. Even is the church really the church Jesus talked about and is building on Earth today.

I recalled hearing the head of a Pentecostal movement in New Zealand state that it wasn’t the Holy Ghost that built churches it was good leadership. That was his opening statement as he opened a new church building in a particular town. I felt like screaming out “what did you just say” – I couldn’t believe what I just heard. Yet there were hundreds of people there just swallowing it all up. I went home thinking ‘what is wrong – what is going on’.

Another pastor I heard preach recently said this as his opening statement. He said “I love the church, I am so passionate about the church, the church is the most powerful, influential force on Earth. I am so excited about the church again”. My spirit immediately squirmed and I thought  ‘I know exactly where you have been’ – I discovered that this was his first message after returning from a conference hosted by the first preacher I mentioned here.
I thought ‘why aren’t you passionate, excited and in love with Jesus’. Why have you been stirred up with a passion for the church – is this scriptural? Shouldn’t you be stirred in your relationship with Jesus?

Again another example – I was watching Australian Idol where they interviewed one of the contestants and during the whole segment he talked about how the church saved him from his old life – how good his life has been since he went to church. He went on about the church this and the church that and I thought what about Jesus! – he never mentioned Him, God, the Lord, the Holy Spirit once, just how great the church was.

Now you may be thinking (as I have questioned myself) that I’m just getting critical. But you see this guy may not have really understood what he was saying – he was probably taught this by the idol that has crept into the church called ‘the church’.

Yet another example of a pastor preaching a message on evangelism. Except he wasn’t telling the people to go out on the streets and bring people to Jesus he said go out onto the streets and bring them to church so that they can get saved. The whole message was along those lines. Can you see the subtlety?
Now I think that if I talked with any of these people I have used as an example they would most likely say something like “oh yes, of course I mean Jesus. Isn’t the church the body of Christ anyway?” or “aren’t you playing semantics – the church and Jesus are the same, He is the head, we are the body”

But what this really proves is that there is overall a fundamental misunderstanding of what the church is. There is a huge error in our theology. There are whole movements preaching error that sounds like its scriptural but are in fact preaching about an idol called the church.

An idol called the ‘church’

What do I mean by  ‘an idol’?

The definition of an idol:-

"Dear children, keep yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21

Idolatry is a sin very deeply rooted in the human heart. We need not go very far to find of this the most convincing proofs. Besides the experience of every age and every climate, we find it where we would least expect it—the prevailing sin of a people who had the greatest possible proofs of its wickedness and folly, and the strongest evidences of the being, greatness, and power of God.

It amazes us sometimes in reading the history of God's ancient people, as recorded in the inspired page, that, after such wondrous and repeated displays of his presence, glory, and majesty, they should again and again bow down before stocks and stones. That those who had witnessed all the plagues of Egypt had passed through the Red Sea by an explicit miracle, were daily living on manna that fell from heaven and water that gushed out of the rock, who had but to look upward by day to behold the pillar of the cloud, and by night the pillar of fire to manifest the presence of Jehovah in their midst—that this people, because Moses delayed coming down from the Mount, should fall down before a golden calf, and say, "These are your gods, O Israel, which brought you up out of the land of Egypt," does indeed strike our minds with astonishment.

And that this sin should break forth in them again and again through their whole history down to the period of the Babylonish captivity, in spite of all the warnings of their prophets, all the terrible judgments of God, all their repeated captivities, and, what would be far more likely to cure it, all their repeated deliverances, does indeed show, if other proof were lacking, that it is a disease deeply rooted in the very constitution of fallen man.

If this be the case, unless human nature has undergone a change, of which neither scripture nor experience affords any evidence, the disease must be in the heart of man now as much as ever; and if it exists it must manifest itself, for a constitutional malady can no more be in the soul and not show itself, than there can be a sickness in the body without evident symptoms of illness.

It is true that the disease does not break out exactly in the same form. It is true that golden calves are not now worshiped, at least the calf is not, if the gold be, nor do Protestants adore images of wood, brass, or stone. But that rank; property, fashion, honor, the opinion of the world, with everything which feeds the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, are as much idolized now as Baal and Moloch were once in Judea, and Juggernaut now is in the plains of Hindostan, is true beyond all contradiction.

But what is idolatry? To answer this question, let us ask another.
What is an idol? Is not this the essence of the idea conveyed by the word, that an idol occupies that place in our esteem and affections, in our thoughts, words and ways, in our dependence and reliance, in our worship and devotedness, which is due to God only? Whatever is to us what the Lord alone should be, that is to us an idol.

[J. C. Philpot, October, 1855]

Read full transcript here http://www.gracegems.org/Philpot/Idolatry.htm

Basically an idol is anything that takes the place of God.

“an idol occupies that place in our esteem and affections, in our thoughts, words and ways, in our dependence and reliance, in our worship and devotedness, which is due to God only”

Now with that in mind re-read the statements above and you will see my concern.

I have been putting off this publication as it will most likely offend some, anger some and most likely cut off the last dangling piece of ‘our’ ministry skin pumping life into what is left of ‘our’ ministry but will also most likely resurrect the ‘Lords’ ministry through us.

Now my statement that encapsulates what I have been saying over the last 10 – 12 years and the revelation I have had over the last 3 -4 years that there is a problem with the church.

I now realize that the church (in the west) has become an idol and has in many ways taken the place of God and that we have been preaching about the idol called the church believing we really mean Jesus.

This is actually deception that can only be broken by revelation.

The next few chapters will reveal scripturally / theologically

• What the Church is not
  • What the Church is
  • Church Belief systems
  • How to deal with the idol
  • How will we do church now
  • Changing mindsets

I am overwhelmed by the huge amount of emails, comments and encouragement from readers of the first part of ‘An idol called the church’. Thank you. It is not easy making a stand against an entrenched stronghold – but I have been encouraged by all the ‘fellow warriors’ on the same page.

Part two – what the Church is not

In order to see what the church is not we need to establish firstly a foundation of what the Church is. Future articles will go into this more in depth but the foundation will suffice at this stage.

Question: "What is the church?"

That seems like an easy question, the sort of question you may answer in a simple sentence or two.

Many people today understand the church as a building, an organization or a denomination. But this is not a true biblical understanding of the church. The word “church” comes from the Greek word ekklesia which is defined as “an assembly”.  The root meaning of “church” is not that of a building, but of people. It is ironic that when you ask people what church they attend; they usually identify a building, organization or denomination.

The ‘church’ is the body of Christ, of which He is the head. Ephesians 1:22-23 says, “And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the assembly, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.”  The body of Christ is made up of all believers from the book of Acts to Christ’s return.

The true ‘Church’ is “The gathered assembly of believers in Jesus Christ,"

All believers would agree with the above statement so where is the problem? If we agree with that statement and yet there is still an Idol present someone is deceived somewhere.

I want to talk about the nature of the church from a scriptural perspective to expose the ‘Idol called the church’.

It is very important to pay attention to how Christians throughout the world interpret Scripture when it comes to the nature of the church. We all tend to read the Bible in light of our own experience and culture. We have our own ‘coloured glasses’ with which we view everything so that we all project our preconceived meanings into the text. Careful interpretation of Scripture can help us see what is really there and not be tricked into thinking our preconceived ideas are God's revealed Word.

While experience can be good, Scripture stands authoritatively above the experience of all believers.

Scripture has the final word when it comes to all matters of faith and how we live a Christian life, including the question of what the church is. Therefore, the best way to discover what the church is should be by careful study of Scripture.

In nearly 30 years of being a Christian I've probably heard a hundred sermons on the church. I've given a few of my own too without really realizing what I was saying because I just followed the ‘trend’. In practically every one of these sermons the same point is made: "The church is not a building. It's the people of God." Now we may say the place where Christians gather is a church – and it sounds correct But - this has nothing to do with biblical theology, and runs the risk of fostering a detrimental misunderstanding and therefore error.

Nowhere in the Bible is the place where Christians meet referred to as a "church."

Depending on the translation, the word ‘church’ appears around 75 times in our Bibles, (110 times if you include the plural). In almost every instance "church" is a translation of the Greek word ekklesia.

Never does ekklesia refer to a building in which people gathered, for worship or for any other purpose. (In fact, the early Christians in the New Testament didn't even have special buildings in which to meet during the period in which the New Testament was written. This came much later. For the most part, the first Christians met in private homes.)

Now before you say “I know all this” and stop reading, it’s time for me to argue that the use of the word "ekklesia” translated “church" in many translations causes problems at best, and in actual fact is wrong.

Yes I am saying the word church should not appear in our translations. (note: many translations are correct in not translating the word to church but rather use the word ‘assembly’ instead eg  Youngs, World English, Darby, to name just a few).

No matter what connotation for the word "church" you use, a church is either a building used for religious purposes, or it is a group of people who have gathered for religious purposes, or it is a larger configuration of people who have been organized for religious purposes (i.e. the Roman Catholic Church). Say the word "church" and anyone who understands English will think "religious entity."

This was not the case for ekklesia in first-century Greek parlance. If, for example, a Christian traveller showed up on the streets of Corinth in the first-century A.D. and asked for the location of the ekklesia, nobody outside of the tiny Christian community there would direct him to a religious building or gathering. Nobody would think he was asking about anything that had to do with the gods or with religious practices. An ekklesia wasn't anything like a church. Greek had words for religious gatherings, words such as thiasos (cultic society) or synagoge (Jewish gathering). But ekkelsia wasn't one of these words.

Ironically, one might say the same thing for the use of the word ekklesia in the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint). This word appears about 100 times in the Septuagint, almost always translating the Hebrew term qahal to the basic meaning of "assembly" or "gathering." They (qahal & ekklesia) can be used to describe a gathering for religious purposes, but the words themselves are also used for non religious connotations. They need something like "of the Lord" to make the religious setting clear.

So, if "church" in English always suggests something religious, whether buildings or gatherings of people or organizations, and ekklesia does not have this meaning in the time when the New Testament was written, then translating ekklesia with "church" almost certainly leads to some level of misunderstanding on the part of the reader. When it comes to the vocabulary of the New Testament, truly "a church is not a church."

So, then, what is the New Testament understanding of ekklesia? If this word isn't equivalent to "church," what other English word or words might better render the sense of ekklesia?

The Ordinary Meaning of Ekklesia

Almost all New Testament uses of ekklesia are distinctive in comparison to secular Greek, since ekklesia is almost always used to denote an usual gathering, that is, of believers in Jesus. In Acts of the Apostles, however, this term is used three times in a more or less ordinary sense, though perhaps ironically.

The context for this usage is Paul's ministry in Ephesus. For two years he preached the gospel, with considerable success. Many residents of Ephesus put their faith in Jesus and rejected their pagan practices. This led to a sharp decrease in the sales of little silver trinkets of one of the most popular pagan gods, Artemis. Those who made their living by making and selling these souvenir idols became enraged, fearing the loss of their livelihood. So they stirred up their fellow Ephesians, who all rushed together to the theatre at the centre of town, dragging a couple of Paul's companions with them. Acts tells us that the assembly in the theatre was in great confusion. The Greek word translated as "assembly" is ekklesia (Acts 19:32).

When one man tried to address the gathering, he was shouted down because the pagan Ephesians were biased against him owing to his being Jewish. Finally one of the civic leaders of Ephesus managed to quiet the people down. He told them not to worry about the worship of Artemis, and to follow appropriate legal actions if they had been wronged by Paul and his retinue. The leader concluded by saying, "If there is anything further you want to know, it must be settled in the regular assembly [ennomoi ekklesiai, literally, the lawful ekklesia or assembly]" (19:39). Then, Acts tells us, the official "dismissed the assembly [ekklesian]" (19:40).

From this story in Acts we can learn several things about the word ekklesia. Most simply, it meant "assembly" or "gathering." It referred to some sort of meeting of people who had come together for a particular purpose. In Greek society, the ekklesia was the assembly of full citizens in a particular city. (Most residents were not full citizens at that time.) Thus the ekklesia was rather like the city council in a modern American city in terms of its authority.

Etymologically, the word ekklesia was derived from the verb ek-kaleo, which meant "to call people together" or "to summon" them. This does not mean, however, that ekklesia really meant "the called-out people," as is sometimes claimed by preachers. Those who wrote the New Testament and those who read what they had written would not have thought of ekklesia in light of its etymological roots. For them, the word meant "assembly" without a hint of whether those who gathered had been called out or not. It's like when you hear the word "microwave." This word denotes a certain kind of oven. You and I don't think of the fact that "microwave" was derived from the combination of "micro" and "wave," and uses high-frequency electromagnetic waves. Rather, "microwave" means "that white oven over there in which I warm up my leftover pizza."

Ekklesia was a common Greek word for a gathering of people -period
. It came to have a special meaning in reference to the assembly of the voting citizens of a city. In this sense it was the "regular assembly" referred to in Acts 19:39. But, as we saw in Acts 19:32 and 40, ekklesia could also be used to describe an unplanned and unruly crowd of people.

As I mentioned, ekklesia was not used specifically for religious convocations, nor did it have religious overtones. The first-century Greek speaker would not have thought of the gods or of a religious gathering when hearing the word ekklesia. Thus if I were a Bible translator, I'd opt for "assembly" or "gathering" rather than church for most New Testament instances of ekklesia. What gives the Christian ekklesia its distinctiveness is not the fact that it is an ekkelesia, but the fact that it is an ekklesia in God.

All of this raises some fascinating questions about the meaning of ekklesia in early Christianity, and why the early Christians chose this particular word to describe their meetings. I'll try to answer these.

The Earliest Usage of Ekklesia in the New Testament

Unquestionably, the earliest written use of ekklesia in the New Testament comes from the letters of Paul. When Paul wrote his first letter to the Christians in Thessalonica (in Macedonia, an area of northern Greece), he began in this way:

Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, To the ekklesia of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thes 1:1)

Presumably, of course, he had taught the Thessalonian Christians to think of themselves as an ekklesia, so they would know what he was referring to when he used this word.

The phrase "ekklesia of the Thessalonians" would have had an established, commonly-understood meaning in this city. It denoted the gathering of citizens to govern the city. But Paul qualified his use of this phrase and therefore limited misunderstanding by adding "in God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." The Christians gathered in Thessalonica were not equivalent to the civic ekklesia. Rather, they were an alternative assembly, one that met "in God" and "in Christ." "In" means something like "by the work of" or "under the authority of" or "for the sake of."

Paul was addressing a real assembly, an actual gathering of people. These were the ekklesia.

Support for this understanding of church comes also from Paul's letter to Galatians. He addresses this letter to: "The churches [ekklesiais] of Galatia" (1:2). The use of the plural is telling here. When Paul writes a letter to the Christians in the region of Galatia (in the centre of modern Turkey), he does not think of them as some sort of spiritual group that could be called a single ekklesia, even though it never gathered together in the same place. Rather, they were a bunch of ekklesiai, "assemblies" in the plural.

Paul wouldn't know what you meant if you said, "The Thessalonian ekklesia didn't meet today." From his point of view, there would still have been a few dozen Christians in Thessalonica, and they would still have had many ties together in Christ and in the Spirit, but they wouldn't have been an ekklesia if they didn't actually meet.

The assembly is not the assembly when it isn't assembled. Now I certainly believe there's a sense in which we can be the ekklesia when we're scattered in the world. But, it's important to note that there's something extremely important, and, indeed, essential about the actual gathering of Christians.  Jesus even said where two or three gather together there He is in the midst Mt 18:20

So to wrap up this study on ekklesia I believe one thing to do is we need to change our language and interpretation of ‘church’. In fact it may even be good to help correct the error to stop using the word ‘church’ and use the correct term ‘assembly’. An assembly takes the emphasis off the building or organization and onto the actual gathering (wherever that is). The actual building is just that, a building used as a meeting hall –exactly the same as a school hall or a home

Some groups had a revelation of this years ago eg  the Assemblies of God, but they unfortunately now are avid promoters in many quarters of the Idol called the church. The brethren, I believe, don’t call their buildings ‘churches’ but Assembly halls.

Some call themselves a ‘Christian Centre’ or fellowship which would probably be more scriptural than “such & such church”

I am not playing on words but rather believe that the way to de-throne the idol is to break the stronghold (the mindsets of people) by actively preaching correct doctrine.

In the next part I will start sharing what the ‘church is not’

Remember:-
Churchianty is not Christianity – churchianity is all about the church, Christianity is all about Christ. I can define either by one statement – who gets the glory of what is done – the Church or Christ. Who is promoted the church or Christ.

**Much of the teaching on ekklesia is derived from the writings of Rev. Dr. Mark D. Roberts.

newsletter@miraclerevival.com
www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 03/02/2010 at 2:40pm
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11/23/2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An idol called the church (pt 3)

From part 1 & 2 I have been accused of being judgmental – hmm but ironically aren’t the people judging me being judgemental.

I have been accused of being critical - aren’t the people criticizing me being critical.

Anyhow, I believe exposing an idol is not judgemental nor critical – the bible is full of accounts where wrong is dealt with. God used many different ways including the Apostles & Prophets to ‘expose and correct’. This was neither judgemental nor critical although many times judgment was bought into the situation.

I have been accused of causing division in the body.

Well many are accused of causing division because they preach about for example tongues, or full emersion baptism or even divine healing – does that mean we stop preaching about these things because it causes division.  Ooops too late, many have stopped. Many Pentecostal ‘churches’ (and I use that in the correct term) don’t talk about or even use tongues in public ‘church’ services. Many that were full on Spirit filled now don’t even have alter calls or pray for the spiritual needs of people. Many don’t even have communion (or have it at the door as you leave) many don’t worship, just sing songs  – what was once a Spirit filled assembly of believers is little more than a club that people ‘attend’ – they sing 3 fast songs, 3 slow songs, take up an offering,  have a lifestyle encouragement message and then go to the café.

Come on preachers – I encourage you to preach the Gospel in power instead of being conformed to the image of the idol called the church. That idol is robbing you of the power of the Holy Spirit. It is robbing souls (because many are being converted to churchianty instead of Christianity.) it is robbing your relationship with God. I have talked with pastor after pastor who has said they need a real relationship with God but the idol they serve is robbing them. Person after person who say they need a better relationship with God – The idol called the church is robbing them. Sapping the life out of them and replacing relationship with busyness serving the idol instead of serving the Lord and each other.

Pastors have said to me time and time again that they just can’t get the people ‘turned onto God’ – that is because the idol is sapping them dry. They are not connected to the Vine that gives life. Come on – if they were truly connected to the Vine they would produce fruit - its unstoppable. If they are connected to the idol – there is no fruit, no life, just passive belief in Jesus.

I have had many encouraging emails and comments again (with thanks) but also many negative emails (understandably).

What I am not saying is that the ‘true assembly’ – ‘the assembly of believers’ – ‘the body of Christ’ – ‘the true church’ is an idol. What I am saying is that there is an idol – the idols name is called ‘the church’ – if you are confused by this that’s because the enemy is the author of confusion. This is also why I went to scripture in Part two to see exactly what it says. The word brings clarity not confusion. Please read the scriptures to find what I have taught is true. Acts 17:11

To re-cap:-
The Greek word ekklesia simply means assembly. NOT church. It is used for any assembly whether civic, governmental or religious. To translate ekklesia to church is incorrect. If it were correct then we would have a civic church, a government church, a school church, a sporting church etc etc. Which is silly.

The word ekklesia that many translations incorrectly translate to ‘church’  (many do actually translate it correctly as ‘assembly’) has nothing to do with what the word church means today.

You will not find the western church in the bible. If you can, please show me – use the comment facility we have set up to discuss this - if what I am saying is wrong I am open, please show me in scripture.

So after analysing the foundation I will continue with what a church is not.

•    A Church is not a building.

Nowhere in the Bible is the place where Christians meet referred to as a "church", nowhere.

Never does ekklesia refer to a building in which people gathered, for worship or for any other purpose, Never.

Please go over those statements again and again and let it sink in.

Now most people would correctly say something like “church is all about people, not a building” yet their mindset is all about a building. Statements like “I went to church”, “I am going to church”, “what church do you go to”, “I am involved in such and such church”, “such and such church is located at....” etc etc proves this confusion. One minister emailed me to share about his shock hearing his daughter ‘witness’ to her friend but all she actually said was “how great the church was”, “how great the music is”, “how ‘cool’ the church building is”. Another preacher told his congregation to “go out and witness and bring them to church to be saved” – Jesus was never mentioned, not once.

Statements from well know preachers saying “how powerful the church is” and how you need to get “involved in church”, “to serve the house of the Lord” (which is not in the New Testament and will be covered later) etc etc only feed the mindset (idol). (I mentioned more examples in part 1)

Getting the vision of the church working and goals set to fulfil the vision of the church, programs in place to build the vision, raising finance to foster the vision is all about the building (or the organization – which we will also look at later) it has little to do genuinely with people, the ekklesia.

If church is not in the bible where do we get the word church from?

Some say it means “Called out ones” which again is incorrect because if it were so we would have called out school assemblies, called out government assemblies etc etc.

The word "church" is defined in most dictionaries as: "A building for public worship, especially Christian worship; the company of all Christians as a spiritual body." This, however, tells us nothing concerning the origin of this word and its original definition, meaning, and usage.

Some theologians have erroneously stated that the word church comes from the Greek "kyrios" which means "lord," and thus "church" is those who belong to the Lord, or references the "Lord’s house." This is not, however, the origin or original meaning of the word "church."

The word church was put in King James' translation because he ordered it put there! Everywhere the Greek word "ekklesia" had any religious reference, the translators substituted the word "church" rather than give an actual translation. King James was the Head of the CHURCH of England and he was going to ensure that his "Church" got some biblical recognition. It was a terrible mistake that has been a source of great error ever since.

The translators of the King James version were forbidden to translate ekklêsia in a proper way; they were under specific orders that the word "church" was to be used instead. James' reasons for demanding the use of certain words in his new translation, were of political nature.

The etymology of the word 'church' – its origin and meaning, and how it came to appear in bible-translations.

The English word "church" came into use in the Middle Ages, some time before the 12th century. The Wycliffe translation (1395) used the word "church" (chirche), but for instance Tyndale (1525) did not. Tyndale properly translated ekklêsia as "congregacion" (sic). And, as was mentioned, he used the word "church" (chirche) only twice, in Acts 14:13 and Acts 19:37 which refer to buildings connected to idol-worship.

The roots of the word "church" are as follows. It comes via the Middle English chirche, from the Old English cirice. And then, it is said that cirice in its turn came from the Greek phrase kyriake oikia (??????? ?????, kuriakê oikia) which meant "the Lord's house". Thus, in short, the etymology and evolution of the word "church" is as follows:

kuriakê oikia ? cirice ? chirche ? church

" Professor Smith of Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible states that "church" comes from a word meaning "circle," which is akin to our word "circus." Professor Lipsius (German theologian during the Reformation) also shows that "church" came from "circle." Professor A. F. Fausett of Home Bible Study Dictionary" agrees with Professor Lipsius. The exhaustive ten volume Cyclopaedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature under the word "church" states that:

"It was probably connected with the Latin circus, circulus, and with the Greek kuklos. Lipsius, who was the first to reject the received tradition, was probably right in his suggestion" (Vol. II, p. 322).
Robert Brown’s work The Myth of Kirke" also confirms that "kirke" (church) means "Circle" or "Circular" (p. 22).

Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, under the entry "church" adds this:

"The etymology of this word is generally assumed to be from the Greek, kurious oikos (house of God); but this is most improbable, as the word existed in all the Celtic dialects long before the introduction of the Greek. No doubt the word means ‘a circle.’ The places of worship among the German and Celtic nations were always circular [witness circular Stonehenge, one of the most ancient stone megaliths on earth]. Compare Anglo-Saxon ‘circe,’ a small church, with ‘circol,’ a circle."

In Scotland it is called "Kirk" and in Gemany it is "Kirche," in England it is the word "Circe" (the "c" having a "k" sound).

But according to Brown’s book, "Kirke/Circe" was also the name of a Goddess.
Kirke or Circe was the daughter of the Sun god, who was famous for taming wild animals for her circus. But get ready for this: Circe is pictured holding a golden cup in her hand mixed with wine and drugs, by which she controlled the kings of the world. (Some might go as far as to liken her to the harlot in Revelation)

So as we see here even the word ‘church’ does not have a scriptural source, it was introduced into the Christian assembly for political reasons and some would say still is used for political reasons in many places.

So why would we continue to use the term ‘church’ when it isn’t in the bible?
Why would we use the term when the words roots are not godly?
Why would we use the term to describe something that brings confusion to the saints?

The reason seems obvious - because it is an idol that has power and it needs to be dethroned.

Ian Turton
www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Moderator on 11/23/2009 at 6:52pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12/02/2009 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An idol called the church (pt 4)

Hi

Before I continue with part 4 of ‘An idol called the church’ I would like to make two points.

1/ Incorrect use of study material causes confusion.

One pastor commented on Part 3 of “an Idol called the Church”.

"You are saying that the Greek word ekklesia does not mean church, and is miss-translated. The Strong's reference (1577) to the word church uses both words: assembly and church. This reference is saying they are both the same."

“I have trusted the Strong's Concordance for many years, but here you are saying it is incorrect? Maybe you should take your Greek translation issues up with them as many pastors rely on its accuracy."

My answer:- May I humbly suggest rather, that those that use Strong's, use it correctly. The instructions on how to use Strong's (in the front of printed versions) say that the text before the :- is the meaning of the word. Text after the :- is how the King James Version translated it. (not what the word means).

So where it says :- Assembly, Church - this is stating just what the KJV uses, not the meaning

2/ Dismissing truth brings bondage

I can’t believe the amount of people including leaders emailing me that dismiss things because it just doesn’t fit their box. They have coloured glasses that they will not take off to see anything different. They dismiss things with a ‘but’. Statements like ‘what you say is true but ....’ I agree with what you say but .....’ They then justify why they are continuing in their error.

This is very dangerous because it is agreeing with and then dismissing a truth. It is dangerous because knowing the truth sets you free. Dismissing it brings bondage. It is like for example someone saying “I agree that the bible says adultery is wrong but people are only human and they really
love each other” they dismiss the truth and go into bondage.

When people say things like “I agree with what you say ekklesia means but we will continue to  do ‘church’ our way because we love Jesus” - this is playing right into the hands of the idol.

It seems like people totally agree with this teaching or they vehemently oppose it.

I have had meetings cancelled in a way that is very un-Christlike to the opposite side of the coin - new invitations coming in ‘because of’ the teaching. From rude emails from so called ‘Christians’ to groups of ministries asking permission to re-print the articles.  I am amazed at the hornet’s nest that this has stirred up. Pastors condemning what I am saying, Leaders of movements telling others not to have anything to do with me and yet so many other pastors, leaders and others giving great endorsement and encouragement to me.

From my experience so far those that vehemently oppose this have the most to lose, have their own agenda or are simply misquoting what is being said.

I have said for years that revival is coming but it’s not through a church or an organization or a person even – it is a body revival where the body of Christ rises up in revival to go and continue to do in the world what Christ started to do in the world.

Where the body of Christ is unshackled from religious systems that offer no life because that life is sapped by the idol. People are going to be revived to relationship instead religion and will this will be fostered by personal connection to the Vine instead of programs designed to keep people busy.

My advice to leaders – hold loosely what you have. The idol will bind you to property instead of people. Position instead of calling. Serve the Lord and His body, not the idol.

I know scores of pastors that are shackled to their system by church buildings where their denomination control them by owning the building or has some other control. I know some that have wrestled for years because they would lose possessions or position that finally said “I let go”. One pastor recently turned up on my doorstep and said how fulfilled he was now by being out of the bondage he was in for years. He said “I baptised 16 people last week  - I have never baptised that amount of people before – we have more people turning up and they are excited about Jesus”. He was genuinely free from the burdens he carried for years being shackled to the idol.

I am not saying we shouldn’t, as Christians, assemble together as a body in a building or a place – what I am saying is:-

Part 4 ‘An idol called the church’.

A Church is not a building. (so why do we keep calling a building or organization a church)

Nowhere in the Bible is the PLACE where Christians meet referred to as a "church", nowhere.

Never does ekklesia refer to a BUILDING in which people gathered, for worship or for any other purpose, Never.

The ‘church’ building (or place of worship) is so connected with the idea of church that we unconsciously equate the two. (Frank Viola)

The idol called the church (where people worship the church rather than Christ) is actually rooted in ancient temple worship (this is still practised by most other religions on earth today)

Temple worship actually goes back to Judaism where that religion was centred on three things – the temple, the priesthood and the sacrifice. When Jesus came He ended all three.

Christianity started off as the only religion on the planet that had no sacred objects, sacred people and no sacred places – they had no sacred buildings for their worship.

Ekklesia is not a physical place it is an assembly of people.

In the New Testament it primarily refers to the spiritual Body of Christ on the earth. "And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints [holy ones] for the work of service, to the building up of THE BODY OF CHRIST; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the true knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11-13).

The Body of Christ is the true assembly of believers - the habitation of God as was the temple in the Old Testament.

Maybe we get our mindset of the church (building / organization) being the central part of our Western Christianity from the Old Testament where the temple was a dwelling place of God – but this is done away with in the New Testament.

If you don’t believe me when I say “the church (building / organization) being the central part of our Western Christianity” – try not ‘going to church’ for a while to see how you are labelled (backslidden, off track, not really functioning in the body come to mind – even rebellious)

The writer of Hebrews, in chapter 9, describes the Old Testament temple; its appearance and the activities of the Levite priests (vs. 1-8). He then compares it to the temple of Christ as follows:

" But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle [or sacred tent] not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building (Hebrews 9:11).

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

A building is not the habitation of God anymore.

The true assembly of believers of God is not of this world but is a spiritual dwelling place for God.

In the Old Testament both the temple in the wilderness and Solomon's temple were filled with the Spirit of God, to the extent that the priests could not even stand to minister. In the Old Testament God actually dwelled in the temples made by men.

In the New Testament, under the new covenant instituted by Christ, God no longer will dwell in a physical temple. His house will be within His believers. We of the Body of Christ are His dwelling place forever.

Paul never refers to the church as a physical structure but as a dedicated group of disciples; a new race redeemed by the blood of Christ (Mounce's Expository Dictionary).

"And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice [chosen, elect] and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices

All sources agree that ‘church’ denotes not a physical structure but a living, eternal spiritual dwelling place. The Body is one but has various expressions and gifts given to each individual member, all for the purpose of the building up of the Body (see 1 Corinthians 12). Christ is the head of His body and the remainder of His true spiritual Body is filled with the elect ones, the Saints, the chosen including those who have gone on. The gifts of the Spirit are given to each member as the Lord sees fit. People don't "join" the Body as they do in a modern day church; they are placed there by the Lord.

Paul said:
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints [holy ones] and are of God's household,

having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple [sanctuary] in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:20-22).

So the church building is no longer inhabited by God – it is not the house of God anymore, it is not sacred. But the body of Christ is now being built up as a dwelling place of God, the body of Christ is now the temple, and individuals are of the household of God.

Now, here is the clincher

2 Corinthians 6:16 What agreement has a temple of God with idols? For you are a temple of the living God. Even as God said, "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

What agreement has a temple of God with idols? None. Repent and turn away from idols, repent and turn away from the idol called the church to Christ.

I am not saying turn away from assembling together as the assembly of believers in Christ but I am saying turn away from the idol called the church.

The glory doesn’t reside anymore in the building or organization.

Where God’s glory resides (from the temple -> Christ -> body of Christ).

Attributed most often to Rev. Sam Pascoe. It is a short version of the history of Christianity, and it goes like this: Christianity started in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America (the west) and became an enterprise.

Next time:- The assembly of believers is an organism not an organization. A body not a business. An entity not an enterprise.

www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Moderator on 02/02/2010 at 8:49am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02/02/2010 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Thank you again for your many comments, emails and phone calls affirming these articles and my stance against the idol. The articles have been reprinted by various ministries, placed on other websites etc which is great because it is getting the word out.

Many also affirm what I am saying by having the same revelation, some even years ago, but I think the revelation that what we are facing is an actual idol has put it all into context of what we have been seeing, hearing etc over the years.

Some dear people still don’t get it and are actually defending the idol. Not one has challenged the teaching with scripture / theology. They only object through the mindset they have on the subject. A ‘mind’ that is ‘set’ on a thing is called a stronghold. I pray all will come out of the shadow of this idol and see clearly.

It amazes me how we got into this mess in the first place – but then we are fighting a very deceptive enemy.

I pray that we all see scripture with eyes wide open and not read it with our Greek Philosophical glasses on. There are many instances in scripture where we need correct understanding. For a very, very simple example in point. Do you realize that there were not 3 wise men following the star going to visit Jesus. (the bible doesn’t actually say how many) That they didn’t see Jesus in a manger (He was probably around 2 years old when they visited Him in a house). Yet for whatever reason when we read this account in Matt 2 we see in our mind 3 wise men visiting Jesus as a baby in a manger.
I am only using this as a clear example of how we read things through a mindset, whether it be from a tradition mindset or a repetitive viewing of pictures when we were children of the 3 wise men and Jesus in the manger.

We see everything through a mindset or a way of thinking. The Bible actually calls a mindset a ‘stronghold’. Regarding the ekklesia we also see this through a mindset. For many it’s the mindset of the idol called the church. If we put these glasses on all we see is what the idol dictates.

Just to indicate one other point about our mind set – Is church planting in the Bible? Have you ever researched this without a church planting mindset? Did Jesus say “go and plant churches”? We have attributed the Apostle Paul as the greatest ‘church planter’ – did he actually plant churches? If not what did he actually do? We attribute the gift of Apostle to church planting. Did the Apostles plant churches? If our mindset of church planting is incorrect what do we do to get back to the commission of Jesus? (This will be another series of articles coming soon – I believe this will radically tie in all the answers many people have been asking me over the years of how do we get back to Christianity found in the book of Acts.)

In this study I am going to attempt to bring some answers to the problem of the idol called the church and to break strongholds, change mindsets and bring clarity.

I was going to leave the answers to the end of this series and once all the revelation had been laid out, but many have been asking for answers as they see the problem clearly or at least are starting to grasp it and want to start standing against this idol and implementing change.

The major problem is the mindset (stronghold) we have regarding the ‘church’.

When we say ‘church’ what do we mean?

The English word "church" has various meanings. Webster gives the following definitions for the word church.
1. a building for public Christian worship.
2. a religious service in such a building.
3. (sometimes cap.) a. the world body of Christian believers; Christendom. b. any major division of his body; a Christian denomination.
4. a Christian congregation.
5. organized religion as distinguished from the state.
6. (cap) a. The Christian before the reformation. b. the Roman Catholic Church.

So when we say church, what do we mean?
Do we mean a building?
Do we mean an organization?
Do we mean the body of Christ?

Or is there confusion between these descriptions as to what the church really is.

Again over the Christmas break I have heard people say things that just reinforce this confusion. Eg. “Years ago people went to the church for answers – now fewer people are seeking out the church”
“the church has lost its relevance – so we need to be more relevant by updating our church programs”
“bring them to church to get saved”
“my life was a mess before I started going to church – the church has turned my life around”

All of these statements (to mention only a few) reflect confusion at best and heresy at worst. To answer briefly.

People should seek Jesus, not the church.

How can the body of Christ, full of the power of the Holy Spirit be irrelevant?

How can the church save lives? How can the church change lives? Isn’t it Jesus that does that?

ANSWERS TO DEFEAT THE IDOL.
Some would say we need to wage war and pray against this idol. This may be so and I encourage you to actively seek God first about this and pray what He says. I do believe we need to pray against the idol but we also have to put ‘feet to our prayer’ and do something about it.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I believe we need to re-educate ourselves and if we are leaders to re-educate those we teach. A mindset is started by incorrect teaching. It can be reversed by correct teaching (the truth shall set you free) A stronghold is used by an idol through the mindsets of people. Change the mindset and you take the stronghold away from the idol.

I have already shown in previous articles that the translation of the Greek word ‘ekklesia’ to the English word ‘church’ is incorrect.

To recap briefly.

An Ekklesia is not a building. (so why do we keep calling a building or organization a church)

Nowhere in the Bible is the PLACE where Christians meet referred to as a "church", nowhere.

Never does ekklesia refer to a BUILDING in which people gathered, for worship or for any other purpose, Never.

Ekklesia is not a physical place - it is an assembly of people.

I have also shown that the root word for church is not birthed in scripture but out of non Christian origin.

Some might say I now understand that we shouldn’t call a building or organization ekklesia or church but the body of Christ is the Ekklesia or church so why cant we use the term church to describe the body of Christ?

Today the word church has a wide variety of meanings from referring to a building to performing a religious service.

Unfortunately, when we hear the word ‘church’ our mind often paints a picture through those glasses filled with unbiblical characteristics. I believe it is time that Christians proclaim and reclaim a truly biblical concept of Ekklesia. Scripture confirms over and over again that an Ekklesia is the assembly of those who are called out of sin and called to Christ. Many of our modern concepts of ‘church’ are simply not found in Scripture and some even oppose Scripture.

The English dictionary reveals that the English word "church" which is used in our English Bibles is taken from the late Greek word "kyridakon" not "ekklesia." The Greek word "kyridakon" is not found in the New Testament and only came into being in the 16th Century long after New Testament times. Thus the English word "church" cannot be translated back into Greek because there is no word in the New Testament Greek that is the equivalent of the understanding of the English word.

Because there is so much confusion with the term ‘church’ I believe we should

1/ Remove the word ‘church’ from our vocabulary. When we do this we will see the change in our understanding of what we really mean when talking about ‘church’. Try and see how difficult it is to stop calling church, church. Everything is about church, so when we stop using the word we have to carefully choose another word to mean exactly what we mean. When "ekklesia" is translated correctly "assembly": "the assembly of God" or "the assembly of Christ." or even congregation as some ancient versions do and used in our conversation it begins to change many things that were associated with the idol called church. Ekklesia is all about the body of Christ, the people not the building or organization. We don’t go to church – we ‘assemble’ as the body of Christ whether it is in a special purpose building or on the beach. “Where two or three are gathered together in my name there I AM” Matt 18:20
Instead of saying “where do you go to church” you could say “where are you going to assemble”.

2/ Stop calling the building or organization, ‘church’. It is a ‘building’ and should be named such to avoid the continued confusion. We should stop calling the building a church, sanctuary, or the house of God (more teaching on this later) I suggest calling the building a centre, hall, assembly hall, fellowship hall. Eg stop saying things like “I am going to church”. The scriptural alternative is something like  “I am going to assemble with other Christians to worship God meeting at such and such Christian Centre". (this is Ekklesia) So you could replace with something like I am going to the centre, the assembly hall or the fellowship hall. It takes the emphasis off the idol and onto the body because it is just a hall.

3/ Stop using statements such as "welcome to church today", "welcome to the house of God", "we need to build the church" or "I love being in church" and anything that refers to the building or organization as being the ekklesia. They are incorrect.

3/ Stop teaching incorrect theology. Examples:- bring people to church to be saved, the church is the most powerful force on earth etc. Church changed my life. House of God theology including ‘sons of the house’ etc (more on this erroneous teaching bringing people into bondage to the idol later)

4/ Start teaching correct theology – Examples:- Jesus is the only one that can save people from their sin and transform their life and the body of Christ full of the power of the Holy Spirit has all the relevancy needed to preach the Gospel to every creature.

Teach how the body of Christ can rise up, how each member has a part, a function (not just in services) but in serving Christ and each other. It seems we have been confusing services with serving.
Start training the body and releasing them to do the work of the ministry God has called them to do. Eph 4:11-12

5/ Stop using bibles that translate ekklessia incorrectly.
The first printed English translation of the Bible (Tyndale’s Translation circa 1526) accurately translated the Greek word Ekklesia as ‘congregation’ or ‘assembly’. However, most modern translations of the Bible translate Ekklesia as ‘church.’ This is done out of out of convenience to the readers since ‘church’ is the common cultural word used for an assembly of believers. However, this does not mean it is an accurate translation of Ekklesia.

William Tyndale's translation did not translate the word "ekklesia" as church. Tyndale's translation correctly used the term "congregation." Tyndale completed the translation of the New Testament and part of the Old Testament before he was martyred. John Rogers, an assistant and friend of William Tyndale, completed the translation of the Old Testament using some work from Coverdale and published the first entire Tyndale Bible under the pen name "Thomas Matthew." This Bible was called the Matthew's Bible (1537) and also used the term "congregation." The next English Bible, the Great Bible (1539), also used the term "congregation." However, in 1557 the Geneva New Testament, produced by William Whittingham, was the first to translate "ekklesia" as "church”.
The word "church" was first used by Theodore Beza in 1556, a Protestant, who followed John Calvin at Geneva, Switzerland. As a Presbyterian, Beza believed in the idea of a catholic church and its hierarchal form of government and therefore chose to support this false concept by using the word "church" instead of "assembly." The reason is obvious in that the use of the word "congregation" or "assembly" would not support his church's hierarchical form of church government. William Whittingham's Testament of 1557 followed Beza's usage of "church" and was actually the first edition of the Geneva Bible and was a revision of the Tyndale New Testament.

Because the Geneva Bible was printed in Europe and not in England the English people desired a Bible published in their native country. This was the reason for the next English Bible, the Bishops Bible (1568) which was a revision of the Geneva Bible and this translation continued the use of the term "church" as has majority of subsequent English translations including the King James Version. This shows that the use of the word "church" instead of "assembly" or "congregation" came from those who had a bias towards a hierarchical and unscriptural form of church government. To have translated the word "ekklesia" accurately into "assembly" or congregation" would have exposed their form of church government as being in error.

I suggest using older translations like, Darby or Youngs or younger translations like ‘The Source’ (which was translated by a Greek scholar rather than a theologian or denomination and was taken from the actual meanings of the Greek words rather than from the use of those words in previous versions of the bible)

To be continued.

An interesting time line of the bible can be seen here.

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Moderator on 02/02/2010 at 8:55am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02/02/2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Part 6 – Is ‘church’ planting scriptural

Before we get to this teaching:-

I have been discussing an idol called the church. Sometimes I feel I am like a flea trying to bring down an Elephant. That the idol is too big, it has been around for centuries and who am I to tackle it. I am encouraged by those that are doing likewise and those who are seeing the idol for what it is and seeking to get from under its deceptive power and alas I am saddened by some of my ‘friends in ministry’ that have vehemently opposed me and actively sided with the idol they serve.

I could have used the term ‘an idol called religion’ and few would have objected because they don’t consider themselves ‘religious’– the religious ones are of course ‘everyone else’. (Religious in the negative sense of the word). I could have used the term ‘an idol called Catholicism’ and everyone outside the Catholic church* would say Amen.

*It was in fact the Catholic church that first began using the word ‘church’ for a Christian gathering place or Christian organization. The Catholic bible was written in Latin and is where we find the word ‘church’ used in context to a Christian meeting place. This is why we cant find the equivalent word for ‘church’  in the Greek as it was a term adopted into the Latin catholic bible. Incidentally the reformers, including Luther, were opposed basically to the organizational structure and error of the institution called the ‘church’.

But because the term ‘an idol called the church’ hits at the very roots of what we have been taught to believe, it becomes personal. Because it is personal we can’t fob it off onto someone else, we then have to deal with it ourselves. How we deal with it determines what happens in our lives. The choices are clear.

1/ dismiss it without even seeking God as to its truth
2/ seek God about it, pray and study the word.
3/ change

Many have said the term communicates what they have been feeling. Many others have expressed the term in different ways over the years, even as I am learning more, over hundreds of years.

Some are having difficulty understanding the concept because of the old ingrained mindset which continues to cloud the truth.

I need to stress some points, again.

1/ I am not against the body of Christ which is commonly called ‘the church’ – I love the body of Christ and want to serve wherever I can.
2/ I am not against the body of Christ assembling together to worship God in buildings. I love being part of corporate gatherings of worshipers.
3/  But I am against this idol that masquerades as ‘the Church’ – it looks like ‘the church’ but it isn’t. It is very deceptive; it makes people believe in it in so many ways. People vehemently protect it. Many don’t have a true relationship with God because of it. It is treated and acts in the place of God in so many ways. (I have mentioned some and will be continuing revealing more aspects of this idol as time goes by)

I believe one of the most subtle deceptions the idol uses to protect itself is the word ‘church’ itself. I have taught where we got the word from, its original meaning and the correct use of the Greek word Ekklesia (that it doesn’t mean church, never has).

Some statements that may help. We don’t ‘go’ to church. We don’t ‘have’ church. We don’t ‘attend’ church. We are not ‘in’ church or ‘out’ of church. We don’t ‘belong’ to a church.

We ‘ARE’ the church. (old terminology) - We ‘ARE’ the assembly of the firstborn.

I have suggested that because of the history and the meaning of the word church, because of the error it represents and the confusion it brings that we simply stop using the word.

While it seems to be a very simple suggestion it has been met with different reactions like “you are just word playing” or “does it really matter what we call it” or even spiritualized comments like “the Lord knows what I mean when I say church”. What these comments actually do is dismiss the whole revelation about the idol instead of engaging it.

What do people mean when they say things like “I love Jesus and I am still going to go to church like I always have done”. Well they are actually dismissing the Love of Jesus from delivering them from the power of the idol. When people don’t want to change they pre-empt their statements with things like “I love Jesus” or “Jesus knows my heart” or “Jesus knows what I mean”.

Is ‘church’ planting scriptural

Is church planting in the Bible? Have you ever researched this without a church planting mindset? Did Jesus say “go and plant churches”? We have attributed the Apostle Paul as the greatest ‘church planter’ – did he actually plant churches? If not what did he actually do? We attribute the gift of Apostle to church planting. Did the Apostles plant churches? If our mindset of church planting is incorrect what do we do to get back to the commission of Jesus?

I have planted numerous churches over around 30 years of ministry, I have trained people to plant churches, I have been involved in a senior leadership role of a church planting movement. When the Lord spoke to me and said “Church planting isn’t in the Bible” I was shocked but then soon realized there are actually no scriptures that talk about church planting.

The great commission is to “go into all the world and make disciples” – not plant churches.

Matt 28:19-20, Mark 16:15-18, Matt 10: etc

There is NO command, NO scripture where Jesus said to go plant churches rather go preach the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. It is the body of Christ’s commission to proclaim the gospel and make disciples. As we do this He said I will build my assembly.

It is very simple, if we plant churches the emphasis is on the church. If we proclaim the gospel the emphasis is all about Jesus and people.

If the emphasis is planting a church its all about how we go about this – what musicians do we have, what leaders do we need, what Sunday school class is needed, the building, the advertising, the signs etc. We put an advert in the paper or door knock to let everyone know a new church is in town. What sort of ‘programs’ will we use to attract people. How are we going to be ‘relevant’ to our community? There are many, many programs available from the ‘church’ that successfully used a program that ‘grew’ their church.

We attend church growth seminars, seminars on how to break through to the next level (of the membership role), we do everything we can and strive to get our church filled with bums on seats. We get to 500 members and now we can attend the 500 club to learn how to get to the next level. Church planting in the west is all about the organization, the success of numbers, how well we perform and the achievement of ‘building a church’.

Conversely Jesus said go preach about the Kingdom (not preach how to get a better lifestyle) – make disciples – I will give you power to heal the sick, cast out demon’s – I will validate what you says by signs following. In scripture, the result of this is that those that got saved assembled together for prayer, worship and fellowship. The intent was for people to be saved and delivered from bondage not sign up for church membership.

Have a church planting mindset - the emphasis is on the church.

Have a gospel mindset – the emphasis on people.

You say well the church helps people in lots of ways – yes, so do hundreds of other humanistic organizations helping people in their need while Jesus delivers people out of their bondage.

I am coming from a ‘Pentecostal’ standpoint here (I got saved in a Pentecostal assembly and have ministered mostly in that stream) – let me ask you when was the last time you saw someone delivered from demons in ‘church’. When was the last time you saw a miracle, healing, sign or wonder done in ‘church’. When was the last time you saw someone truly repent and get converted in ‘church’ (not just say a little prayer). 

The answer for many, sadly, is many years ago. Why, because the idol has infiltrated the Pentecostal assemblies and shut the power of the gospel down. It has become more about the idol than the gospel of Jesus.

For most churches the program goes like this – 3 fast songs, 3 slow songs, 10 minutes of an offering, 15 minutes of announcements, 20 minutes of a lifestyle sermon, sing a song and go to the coffee shop – and we call that the power of the Gospel designed to save people and set them free – no this is designed to build a club we call church.

Now don’t get mad at me for saying the way it is – you may remember when you went excitedly to meetings where the presence and power of God was so real, now all that is real is the smell of coffee wafting in.

You may be a pastor or leader wondering why God has left – its because you let the idol in.

You may say well I still feel the presence of God in my church – I’m not talking about an emotional kick because the music is good I am talking about the manifest presence of God present and His power being displayed as people earnestly seek Him. (and forget about the coffee)

Did the Apostles, including Paul, plant churches – the short answer is no. When Paul talked about planting he was talking about the Word of God. Again there is NO scripture that talks about church planting. It is a term conjured up probably by the idol to recreate itself. There are a number of scriptures that can be used out of context to prove church planting should be pursued but in context they fail to convince.

This is not an exhaustive study to refute all the scriptures used to promote church planting so please do a study yourself and you will see it very plainly. (see below for scriptural examples used in a church planting manual – note how these can only be interpreted as plating church scriptures if you already have that mindset – they don’t actually indicate church planting rather the spreading of the Gospel.)

You may say well churches were planted and visited by Paul and the other Apostles, elders were set in place, letters written to the churches etc etc.

The truth is that the ‘result of’ Paul and others preaching the Gospel with signs and wonders was that people were saved and delivered. They began to assemble together to encourage one another, break bread, to teach the word etc from house to house, in the temple at the riverside etc. Their motivation was to see the Kingdom established on Earth, not build churches. It wasn’t even in their thinking – their mindset was not to create an organization (Jesus never said I will build my organization) It was to see an organism called the Gospel flow into every corner of the world. As that happened the Apostles and leaders went and strengthened the assemblies.

Rev. Sam Pascoe’s short version of the history of Christianity goes like this:
Christianity started in Palestine as a fellowship;
it moved to Greece and became a philosophy;
it moved to Italy and became an institution;
it moved to Europe and became a culture;
it came to America (the west) and became an enterprise.

Churchianty is not Christianity – churchianity is all about the church, Christianity is all about Christ.

I can define either by one statement – who gets the glory of what is done – the Church or Christ. Who is promoted the church or Christ.

Why plant churches

JESUS TOLD US TO DO IT.
Matt. 28:19,20. “Go therefore and make disciples....baptising them...teaching
them to observe all things I have commanded....”

We cannot effectively make disciples and teach them the commands of Christ
outside a church setting.

An evangelistic campaign declares the gospel. It brings people to a place of
decision but it doesn't fully teach them all the things that Jesus commanded
us. This can only be done in a church setting.

When properly understood we see that the Great Commission is specifically a
commission about Church Planting.

2. THE EARLY CHURCH SET THE PRECEDENT.
Throughout the book of Acts, we see that whenever the disciples went about
fulfilling the Great Commission, they planted churches.

Illustrations
i) Acts 8:5-12 Philip plants a church in Samaria.
ii) Acts 9:1-2,19 Believers had planted a church in Damascus.
iii) Acts 9:31 By now there were churches throughout all Judea, Galilee and
Samaria.
iv) Acts 9:32-35 A church was planted in Lydda.
v)Acts 10:24-48 Peter established a Gentile church in Caesarea.
vi) Acts 11:19-26 The persecuted believers planted churches in Phoenicia,
Cyprus and Antioch.
vii) Acts 13:2 - 14:28 Paul's first missionary journey - the biggest single
church planting venture up to that point.
viii) Acts 15:40 - 18:23 Paul's second missionary journey - all to do with
church planting and strengthening existing churches.
ix) Acts 18:24 - 21:25 Paul's third missionary journey - again he planted new
churches and strengthened established ones

I would have to say that you can poke huge holes in this whole presupposition

I would love to hear about your comments.

www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Moderator on 02/02/2010 at 8:55am
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03/02/2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

Last time we looked at ‘is church planting scriptural’ – we finished off with a bunch of scriptures that proponents of church planting use to ‘prove’ this is what we all should be doing.

Taken from a church planting manual.

Why plant churches

JESUS TOLD US TO DO IT.
Matt. 28:19,20. “Go therefore and make disciples....baptising them...teaching
them to observe all things I have commanded....”

We cannot effectively make disciples and teach them the commands of Christ
outside a church setting.

An evangelistic campaign declares the gospel. It brings people to a place of
decision but it doesn't fully teach them all the things that Jesus commanded
us. This can only be done in a church setting.

When properly understood we see that the Great Commission is specifically a
commission about Church Planting.

2. THE EARLY CHURCH SET THE PRECEDENT.
Throughout the book of Acts, we see that whenever the disciples went about
fulfilling the Great Commission, they planted churches.

Illustrations
i) Acts 8:5-12 Philip plants a church in Samaria.
ii) Acts 9:1-2,19 Believers had planted a church in Damascus.
iii) Acts 9:31 By now there were churches throughout all Judea, Galilee and
Samaria.
iv) Acts 9:32-35 A church was planted in Lydda.
v)Acts 10:24-48 Peter established a Gentile church in Caesarea.
vi) Acts 11:19-26 The persecuted believers planted churches in Phoenicia,
Cyprus and Antioch.
vii) Acts 13:2 - 14:28 Paul's first missionary journey - the biggest single
church planting venture up to that point.
viii) Acts 15:40 - 18:23 Paul's second missionary journey - all to do with
church planting and strengthening existing churches.
ix) Acts 18:24 - 21:25 Paul's third missionary journey - again he planted new
churches and strengthened established ones.
(a full transcript of this whole course on church planting [taken from a church planting movements website] can be requested by replying to this email)

We can see from these scriptures used to promote church planting that unless you have a ‘church planting’ mindset or a presupposition towards ‘church planting’ that they have nothing to do with church planting.

The great commission of Jesus has nothing to do with planting / building churches - but everything to do with building people.

The highlighted comments are not only misinterpreting scripture but are statements of error.

It is called heresy when you assume and teach scripture to be saying something it is not. While I have been wrongfully accused of heresy myself for exposing the idol called the church, the proponents of church planting continue to promote such huge assumptions of scripture – which is indeed heresy and is welcomed by the majority of western church leaders who seem to be blindly bent on finding programs to bring ‘success’ to their ministry, it seems at any cost – even misrepresenting scripture.

I can say this because this is exactly what I did for years along with thousands of others caught in the trap of performance, trying to find success and significance in a system that doesn’t deliver (because its an idol). I believe this is why so many pastors and leaders burn out, some have even committed suicide – surely if this ‘system’ was of God there would not be the huge rate of burnout. The system is set up for failure - that is why thousands of ministers leave the ministry every month, feeling like a failure. If you are serving the idol you will fail. Not failing God, but failing the unattainable expectations the idol puts on you.

I know of a Pastor of a very large church, very successful in the eyes of his peers, commit suicide because of the pressure to perform. Yet on the other hand, another pastor who confided in me and basically said “I have never felt so free and fulfilled since I got off the treadmill of trying to be successful in the system”, his peers would say he was a failure yet he has seen more fruit of souls being saved and baptised since he was freed from the idol he served.

Almost every Christian is taught an absolute basic rule of interpreting scripture – ‘never assume’.

In this instance, assuming Jesus meant the great commission was all about planting churches, we see the great commission turned into an industry of churning out ‘clones’ of the idol.

The assumption, in effect, causes the great commission to be denigrated to building church organizations, instead of building people. While some would argue that churches build or look after people, if you go back to what ekklesia means, (assembly) it is people, the assembly, that builds people – people serving people, not organized systems and programs seeking to help people.

In fact in many places it is people serving the vision of the church rather than an assembly serving others.

It in many cases, is people serving leaders instead of leaders serving people. The word Minister actually means servant.

Simply - its either people serving the church or - an ekklesia (assembly) serving people.

This church planting ‘industry’ is worth millions of dollars in books explaining the whole ethos of church planting and with speakers promoting it to leaders and people that are blinded by the idol.

Churches and whole movements invest a countless amount of hours and money into learning how to plant or how to grow churches, because it is the ‘in thing’ to do, without realizing they are being taught the ways of the idol.

You cannot grow an organism with organizational principles. A body cannot be built by business strategies.

But when you concentrate on building the body of Christ, the ekklesia, instead of building an  ‘organization’ the body grows into an incredible ‘organism’ – instead of a ‘business’ you get a ‘body’.

The great commission is all about the body moving in divine power establishing disciples. To say this is not possible outside of a church setting is absolutely ludicrous. It is the body (people) doing the ‘work of the ministry’ that fulfils the commission, not setting up church programs or structure. The idol called the church has taken the place of the body. It has taken the power away from the body.

Many leaders complain of the lack of response from people in their ‘churches’ – complaining that people just don’t want to get involved. Maybe if those leaders trained people to ‘be’ the body (instead of spectators on a Sunday) and release them to fulfil ‘their’ call and gifting instead of training people to fulfil the church’s vision, the body would rise up in new found zeal and power.

Maybe if people were encouraged to move in the Spirit, to use the gifts out in the market place instead of the four walls of a church building on a Sunday morning, to share the goodness of Jesus, His love and saving power to people instead of trying to get them to join their club (church), maybe, just maybe, we would see the revival of souls that we see in many nations where the organizational church is not in control. Where people are walking in the Spirit, being led by the Spirit, into situations that He wants to minister into.

Oh to see the body, as an organism, walking in divine power. An organism multiplies by itself, it can be contagious, infectious even. My desire is to see the body released into what the Lord has for it, not being shackled by religious routines and man made methods.

I have said for many years that I believe the coming revival that many talk about is about people – its not about a church, a city or a ministry – its about the body of Christ rising globally in the power of Christ to do the works of Christ.

It is a revival of the body of Christ, to be the body of Christ.

A revival which sees the uncontained impact of the Kingdom flow from person to person, from town to town and from nation to nation – an unstoppable force that many leaders dream of but will never attain by learning the ways of or serving the idol.

I understand now that my part in all this revelation is to train and release the body into their God given call. Eph 4:12 for the perfecting of the saints, to the work of serving, to the building up of the body of Christ;

A few years ago we started off conducting schools of the Spirit in many places – with many different topics or themes, instructing people how to flow in the Spirit instead of being bound by Greek philosophical mindsets. Many testified of seeing the power of Christ manifest outside the four walls of church, as they stood in faith to heal the sick, or get a word from God for an unsaved person. The course of whole assemblies changed direction and they are now journeying into uncharted waters, some plunging into the deep end, others finding the transition difficult.

Jeannette & I are committed to continue to help anyone transition from the bondage of the idol to freedom in Christ. We will continue to conduct the schools of the Spirit anywhere the Lord specifies.

We have also had the privilege of helping leaders to become ‘presence based’ instead of ‘performance based’ and will continue to do this as the Lord leads.

It would be so easy to fall back into the system ourselves, doing religious routines that we have been taught for so many years, but we are determined to push into those uncharted waters ourselves and are desperately wanting to be led of the Holy Spirit so much more and to help others do so –

Your comments are appreciated.

View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Gayle Getz

Posted: 03/02/2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Gayle Getz

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06/05/2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An Idol Called the church (Part 8)

In this article we will discover the answer to two important questions.

What is the House of God?

Where is the House of God?

A sign outside a ‘church’ read “If you come to my house, I will come to yours”

While this simple statement may appear good it isn’t scriptural or doctrinally correct at all. It paints a picture that is incorrect. I will explain later.

Some have criticized me saying I am ‘picky’ or ‘playing on words’. Many excuses for not dealing with the idol have been made saying things like “does it really matter” or, “they don’t really mean what they say”. (when I use examples of statements people say).

Maybe the individual, incorrect statement in itself may seem insignificant (like “If you come to my house, I will come to yours”) The problem is the number of small incorrect statements combined paint a huge picture that people see, and that is how the idol seeps into our thinking, little by little. It then takes revelation to break through that mindset.

2 Cor 10:3-5 states how to do this.

You see a power (idol) manifests through strongholds, arguments, speculations, imaginations, every high thing that exults itself above the knowledge of God, even thoughts that are not taken captive to the obedience of Christ.

A thought – A series of thoughts is an idea.
A series of ideas put together you have a concept.
Several concepts, now you have an argument (something you can have an argument about). Arguments together you have a stronghold or an ideology or a culture, a worldview. You may not have a visible idol but you have ideology or culture & so spiritual powers manifest through ideas that keep people from truth.

The powers manifest through man – through ideas, culture, a way to see things, a way to do things.

This statement (“If you come to my house, I will come to yours”) as well as others bandied about by well-meaning people are influenced by the idol to enforce its effect in people’s lives. The idol seeks to enslave people to serve it, rather than serve Christ.

Example: how often do you hear statements like:-

“Welcome to the house of God today”

“We are building the house of God”

“We are taking up an offering to build the house”

“God is in the house this morning”

I have heard whole series of sermons on “We are sons of the house” and “We are to serve the house”

I hear these statements and actually cringe. Why?

Well first what is the house of God?

In the Old Testament both the temple in the wilderness and Solomon's temple were filled with the Spirit of God, to the extent that the priests could not even stand to minister.

In the Old Testament God actually dwelled in the temples made by men.

There are countless scriptures that talk about God dwelling in man-made structures. This was very important for people of that era as a temple was far more than an expensive and beautiful place to worship:
a temple was the place where the God they worshiped lived.

The first mention of the house of God in scripture is where Jacob experienced the manifest presence of God and thus said “this is none other than the house of God” Gen 28:17. The house of God literally became where God’s presence was.

Right from the beginning God wanted to dwell with His people. After the fall God instructed Moses to build a tabernacle for His presence to dwell. Exo 25:8

It was an incredible thing; the people of God seeing God descend into the tabernacle.
Ex 33:8-11 where Moses spoke with God face to face. Where Joshua ministered to the Lord.

Worship was given because God was there.

The writer of Hebrews, in chapter 9, describes the Old Testament temple; its appearance and the activities of the Levite priests (vs. 1-8). He then compares it to the temple of Christ as follows:

But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come,
He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle [or sacred tent] not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building (Hebrews 9:11).

In the New Testament, under the new covenant instituted by Christ,

God no longer dwells in a physical temple.

Acts 7:47-50 But Solomon built him an house. Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? Hath not my hand made all these things?

Again Paul said in

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

There are only 3 references to the term ‘house of God’ in some translations of the NT. (Other translations translate the Greek word oikos ‘houshold’ All three of them referring to the spiritual household of God which is the assembly. We must view these scriptures in light of all other NT scriptures which refer to the body as the house of God (1 Pet 2:5) Not a building or organization.

1 Timothy 3:15, Hebrews 10:21 & 1 Peter 4:17

Paul never refers to the Ekklesia (assembly) as a physical structure but as a dedicated group of disciples; a new race redeemed by the blood of Christ (Mounce's Expository Dictionary).

"And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice [chosen, elect] and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices 1 Peter 2:4-5

All
sources agree that ‘ekklesia’ denotes not a physical structure but a living, eternal spiritual dwelling place.

Paul said:
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints [holy ones] and are of God's household,

having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing
into a holy temple [sanctuary] in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:20-22).

The true assembly of believers of God is not of this world but is a spiritual dwelling place for God.

So the church building is no longer inhabited by God – it is not the house of God anymore, it is not sacred, it is not holy, it is not sanctified.

But the body of Christ is now being built up as a dwelling place of God, the body of Christ is now the temple, and individuals are of the household of God.

His house will be (is) within His believers. We of the Body of Christ are His dwelling place forever.

Hebrews 3:6 but Christ, as Son over his house, whose house are we, if indeed we hold fast the boldness and the boast of hope firm to the end.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Now, here is the clincher

2 Corinthians 6:16
What agreement has a temple of God with idols? For you are a temple of the living God. Even as God said, "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

What agreement has a temple of God with idols? None. Repent and turn away from idols, repent
and turn away from the idol called the church to Christ.

I am not saying turn away from assembling together as the assembly of believers in Christ, I am not even saying do away with buildings in which we meet
but I am saying turn away from the idol called the church.

The glory doesn’t reside anymore in the building or organization.

Where God’s glory resides:-

From the temple (OT) to Christ & the body of Christ (NT)

We are told that Jesus is the Chief Cornerstone. Jesus is the Chief cornerstone of the spiritual building of God.

Matt. 16:15-18  He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16  And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my assembly; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

This passage has given rise to many different interpretations. Some have supposed that the word ROCK refers to Peter himself. This, I believe, is not correct because the assembly Christ is talking about building is not built upon a man but rather it is a spiritual building. We see the idol’s philosophy here - when man is made the centre of anything. (you could study the Catholic church’s doctrine of Peter being the rock & foundation of the church)

Jesus is the foundation and the rock – Not Peter

Others have supposed that the assembly will be built upon Peter’s confession; and that he meant to say, upon this rock-- this truth that thou hast confessed, that I am the Messiah--and upon confessions of this from all believers, I will build my assembly.

Others have thought that Jesus referred to himself.

Christ is called a rock, Isa 28:16; Eph 2:20

1 Peter 2:5-9 You also, as living stones, are built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. Because it is contained in Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, chosen, and precious: He who believes in him will not be disappointed." For you therefore who believe is the honor, but for such as are disobedient, "The stone which the builders rejected, Has become the chief cornerstone," and, "A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense." For they stumble at the word, being disobedient, whereunto also they were appointed. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:

I believe the later to be what Jesus was referring to. He being the chief cornerstone and the ‘lively stones’ (believers) being built up as a spiritual house where the presence of God dwells.

This is the assembly that He is building. The word assembly could be understood like the assembling of a jigsaw puzzle rather than just a group of people meeting together. Another way of looking at the word is like a car assembly line where cars are being assembled.

Jesus said “I will build my assembly” the house of God is being assembled, (built, put together) with Christ being the cornerstone.

These other passages make clear that Jesus Himself is the foundation. The chief cornerstone was the foundational stone in ancient architecture, from which all measurements began, so every other stone was laid in relationship to the cornerstone. Clearly this position belongs to Jesus.

Jesus being the foundation stone, all other stones should be laid by Him & directly from Him.

In other words if you want to see what the assembly should look like, look at the cornerstone.

Look at Jesus the ‘fundamental beginning’ to see what He is building now. What did Jesus do, how did He do it. If what is being built is not the image of Christ then its probably not Christ.

Jesus said "I will build my assembly" & the book of Acts shows Him doing it.

J.B. Phillips wrote that the reader of the book of Acts "is seeing Christianity, the real thing, in action for the first time in human history .... as it was meant to be."

Many have been saying for years “we need to return to the Book of Acts Christianity.” (Christianity as portrayed by the early saints) Many have been saying “we need to build our ‘churches’ by the pattern of the Book of Acts.”

I agree, but we can’t do it while keeping the old. We cannot stay in the ‘system’ and try and change it. I have been in ministry around 30 years and I have never seen it done. People have said things like “well I am just staying and praying that things will change” – Experience shows - they don’t.

You cannot put new wine in old wineskins. You cannot patch old cloth with new cloth.

It is not developing a new ‘system’ within the ‘system’ to overcome the idol.

I believe it is all about looking to Jesus and seeing what He is assembling. Many are, I am amazed at what God is doing, there is a spiritual reformation going on. People are getting revelation, connections of parts of the body coming together in unique ways.

‘Churches’ are being transformed. I know a number that are transitioning well, some started but have slowed for various reasons and some started but have stopped because it’s too hard. Needless to say there is a shift going on.

One in particular in NZ has had an awesome transition from a church to an Assembly – they have forsook the idol and the old ways and simply sought Christ to live His way. It has sometimes been a hard road for them, many not understanding them, but they are flying high in Jesus, seeing people’s lives change by teaching them how to ‘be’ Christians and flow in the power of the Holy Spirit instead of being pew warmers and learning how to get a good life style. While some think they are ‘off the planet’ others think they have given up far too much. I believe their response is that what they have now as an assembly far outweighs any cost of transition.

We are looking at joining with and setting up something to help others on a similar journey, not a network as such but a group of likeminded people on the same page helping, resources, encouraging one another etc.

While this is in its infancy, If you are interested please email me and I can let you know more as things become clear.

In Him we live and move and have our being. Acts 17:28

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09/06/2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An Idol Called the Church - Part 9

In this article you will discover if you are being influenced by the idol

What constitutes and idol?

“An idol occupies that place in our esteem and affections, in our thoughts, words and ways, in our dependence and reliance, in our worship and devotedness, which is due to God only? Whatever is to us what the Lord alone should be, that is to us an idol.”

“You may not be found out. Your idol may be so hidden, or so peculiar, that all our attempts to touch it, have left you and it unscathed. Will you therefore conclude that you have none? Search deeper, look closer; it is not too deep for the eye of God, nor too hidden for the eyes of a tender conscience anointed with divine eye-salve. Hidden love is the deepest of all love; hidden diseases the most incurable of all diseases. Search every fold of your heart until you find it. It may not be so big nor so ugly as your neighbour’s;  but an idol is still an idol, and an image still an image, whether so small as to be carried in the coat pocket, or as large as a gigantic statue.”
J. C. Philpot, October, 1855

An idol is a human-made object that is worshipped in some way.

A false concept or notion; fallacy, is an idol.

“Every man has his idol; but it is not every man who sees it. Few groan under it.” J. C. Philpot

“Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.” 1 John 5:21

How to overcome an idol –

A. Discern the idol.
B. Expose the idol.
C. Defeat the idol.

The first thing you need to do is ask God for discernment, the second, ask Him to show you how it is working in your life, to expose it, the third, ask Him to bring victory in defeating it in your life.

The most powerful (suicidal) prayer I have ever prayed a number of years ago was “Lord expose what is in my heart”, “even if it means losing everything even if my ministry dies, create in me a clean heart, renew a right spirit in me”. – yikes, He did, and it didn’t happen as I expected.

A. DISCERN THE IDOL

The first step in defeating the idol is to discern it. I and many others within the ‘church’ system have over many years been discerning ‘something’ and over the last number of months I have been exposing that which has been discerned, the idol called the church, through the revelation and teachings the Lord has given me. (Maybe you could go over the teachings again to reemphasise it into your heart.)

Many others have been discerning ‘something’ but not having a name for it, I thank God that this teaching has bought revelation to the discernment, so now we see what we have been discerning.

You need to have an open, unbiased heart to discern. Ask the Lord to take off every veil that may be on your eyes that clouds your discernment - Let Him show you and in your spirit, not your mind (that has been taught all sorts of things) receive.

Someone recently said “we need to get rid of all the heretics – what constitutes a heretic, someone who dares to question”.

The idol doesn’t want you to question things, the system is designed to blacklist you if you dare question it but I want to assure you it is ok to question things. And don’t push aside that niggling feeling when something happens, pursue it to find out what the Lord is saying.

Many people’s discernment is labelled as being judgmental or critical to keep them in line in the system but you know the bible actually tells us to judge.

1 Corinthians 2:14-15  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

There is a vast difference between judgment and being judgemental and between discernment and criticism. 

Discernment is a gift of the Spirit that needs to be cultivated. Over the years Jeannette and I have learnt to rely upon this gift so many times. Many times ignoring the ‘niggling’ because we thought we were being judgmental only to find the feeling was right and if we had acted on what the Spirit was telling us would have saved us a lot of grief.

2. EXPOSE THE IDOLS

You see the preaching of the Gospel changes people's lives. No lasting and genuine change can come apart from the Gospel! It is the truth that sets us free. Truth may not be very palatable at times but it has to be preached.

If idols aren't confronted, there's no change in the behaviour of people.

It's true that manmade idols are not real gods, however they have power, especially when they have a demonic entity fuelling it.

Paul's response to the idols he saw:- His spirit was provoked. And he then preached against the idols. He exposed them through the preaching of the truth.

I pray that my preaching will continue to expose the idol in people’s lives

Acts 19:26 “Paul has persuaded and turned away many people, saying that they are no gods, that are made with hands.”

Through the Lord’s grace I have been exposing this idol, and through His word, persuaded many.

The Lord is opening our eyes to see and I pray more and more eyes and hearts will be opened.

But whenever you threaten someone's idols, people themselves feel threatened and they will fight back, e.g.-as we see in Ephesus when Paul exposed idols there.

Please be aware of that – things can get nasty in and around your life when you expose this idol and especially when you begin to share your revelation. I have had pastors actually manifest in front of me when this idol was exposed in them.

I want to expose the idol in your life (if it is there) –
Don’t take my word for it, please be open hearted and seek the Lord in this because it is He and He alone that can reveal it and set you free.

Firstly I want to ask you a question - Can something intrinsically good become an idol?

The answer is yes.  Anything good that basically takes the place of God for whatever reason can become an idol. Even the bible can become an idol if it is worshipped. So can worship, Some people talk about worshipping worship, if the act of worship takes on any form other than worshipping God for who He is alone, for example how great this song sounds, the music is so professional etc can become an idol. We leave the meaning and pursue the act.

So church can become an idol when it takes the place of God.

Here is a test to see if you are influenced by the idol called the church.

•    Do you your serve the house of God (church, building or organization)?

•    Do you feel guilty if you do not attend meetings put on by the church organization?

•    Do you feel pressured to ‘give’ your finances or time to the church?

•    Have you ever been told that serving the house is serving God?

•    Do you think God is well pleased with you if you attend church but displeased with you if you don’t?

•    Do you feel pressured to bring people to church?

•    Is there an underlying feeling that if your church can just grow to a certain number then it is successful?

•    Is there a sense of either failure or lack of success if you don’t achieve requirements put on you by your pastor or leader?

•    Do you go to church to grow in your relationship with God?

•    Are you different on a Sunday to every other day of the week?

Do you see your value as a person attained by:-

•    How you perform?

•    Your Position?

•    What you do?

For Pastors and leaders.

Is there pressure to perform by your church system to…… ?

a)    Grow your church numerically – (you must grow to be recognized by the system.)
(Many movements / denominations will not even recognize groups under a certain number as a church ie you are not a church unless you have 100 or 150 people attending – one movement it is 300)

b)    Produce leaders or pastors.
(some movements have requirements that you must train up leaders so they will go and plant churches)

c)    Increase financially
(Some movements view the financial state of your church as an indicator of being healthy spiritually)

d)    Increase in position within the system.
there is pressure to perform and increase in ‘rank’ – if you don’t then you are a lesser leader.

e)    Does your denomination or movement own the building, property or equipment?

Is there a sense of either failure or lack of success if you don’t achieve requirements put on you by your denomination or movement?
For example do you pastor a group of 50 people but you feel you are less than successful.

Do you see your value as a person attained by:-

•    How you perform?

•    Your Position?

•    What you do?

•    How big your group is that you lead?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you are probably being influenced by the idol, If you answered yes to 2 or 3 of these questions then you are definitely being influenced and if you answered yes to 4 or more then you are certainly being controlled by the idol.

3. DEFEAT THE IDOL

Acts 19:30-31: When idols are opposed, it's dangerous. It's true that idols are empty yet they wield enormous power over us; through them the powers and principalities try to control us.

They use position, manipulation and fear to try to control us – they make you fear the of loss of ………, (insert here whatever you fear the loss of - maybe friends, position, ministry, money, welfare, even your salvation etc ) if you dare to come against it.

Paul risked his life to break/defeat the power of idols.
Jesus gave his life to defeat the power of idols. (Colossians 2:15).
Power and principalities are unleashed all their fury on Jesus and He died...yet in doing that He defeated them!!!

So, how do you defeat the idol in your life?

One option, albeit the wrong one, is to try real hard to stop making it an idol.

But the only way to successfully defeat the idol is to turn to the one who has defeated every idol – who went to the cross for you and disarmed, for all eternity, the “rulers and authorities” of this world. Colossians 2:15 speaks of this: “He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.”

Position yourself in His victory

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you," 2 Cor 6:17 –

You see you cant change a system from within, I have seen many try to, but fail. You can’t put “new wine in old wineskins". You cannot defeat the idol while you continue to submit to it, again that is something the idol uses to stop you – the feeling of being disloyal – it is actually a false loyalty.

I remember many years ago when the Lord was trying to get me to do something. I unwittingly disobeyed Him because of the feeling of being disloyal if I left what I was doing. For over 12 months it was agony. When I finally dealt with the false loyalty and obeyed Him things dramatically changed – but I had to make the first move. False loyalty binds people to the idol so you need to break free and be loyal to Jesus and what He is saying to you.  

Yield your mind, your entire being to Him for Him to bring change. You will most likely have to unlearn all the Greek philosophical teaching / thinking you have been influenced by over the years and re-learn, His way. This will take many years for most people but the more you yield the quicker the process.

Casting down every imagination and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God 1 Cor 10:5 – we wage war – it’s a fight – it may be difficult but don’t give in this is one reason we have set up
Christian Assemblies to help you with the transition.

www.miraclerevival.com

Edited by Moderator on 09/06/2010 at 5:56pm
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11/10/2010 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

An idol called the church part 10 - A mystery

Ephesians 3:9-10  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the assembly the manifold wisdom of God,

I want to talk to you about a mystery. The dictionary states a mystery as a ‘puzzling event or situation’ and to the unsaved or those that are not walking in the Spirit this mystery can be puzzling. To the spiritual, a mystery is known by divine revelation.

I like a good mystery but even more than that I like a 'revealed mystery'

Colossians 1:26-27 the mystery which [has been] hidden from ages and from generations, but has now been made manifest to his saints; to whom God would make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the nations, which is Christ in you the hope of glory:

Paul proclaimed this Christ as being in them. For the design of the Gospel is to put men possessed of the Spirit and walking in the power of Christ, to make them partakers of the Divine nature, and so prepare them for an eternal union with himself.

Now before you say "I know that Christ is in me" and stop reading - I am not talking about a 'symbolic Jesus is in my heart' type thing - I am talking that the creator of the universe is actually living in you.

If we get a revelation of this (not just a head knowledge) it will transform you life.

This is what the Lord wanted right from when He created Adam - to Live with man, to have deep fellowship with him, to walk and talk with him.

Because of Adams sin, God departed. Then God chose to live among men via the tabernacle, His presence was seen by all, He was worshiped there, people ‘came’ to worship, people ‘came’ to hear from God.

In the New Testament, under the new covenant instituted by Christ,

God no longer dwells in a physical temple

Acts 7:47-50 But Solomon built him an house. Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? Hath not my hand made all these things?

Again Paul said in
Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth,
dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

I want to talk about:-

•    Christianity not churchianity - Churchianty is about church – Christianity is about Christ
•    The body not a business
•    Organism not an organization
•    Relationship not religiosity – religiosity is about doing or seen to be doing – relationship is about being.
•    His Presence not our performance – performance is about me and about me doing – presence is about Him and about Him doing. Performance is about my involvement – presence is about His involvement. My works are as filthy rags – His works in and through me are as gold. He must increase – I must decrease. I must realize that the less of me equals the more of Him. I need a revelation of Christ in me the hope of glory. The Apostle Paul put it this way – “its no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me”.
•    A spiritual building not an earthly building

1 Peter 2:4-5 And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice [chosen, elect] and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices.

You are God's 'spiritual house' - He no longer 'dwells' in buildings made by man, He doesnt live in churches, He dwells in you.

All sources agree that ‘ekklesia’ denotes not a physical structure but a living, eternal spiritual dwelling place.
But many sources misstranslate this to the word church. A living spiritual house - not a system, an organization or a place but a living 'body' Being assembled and fit together by the Lord for His dwelling.

Paul said: (Ephesians 2:20-22).
"So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints [holy ones] and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple [sanctuary] in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit"

So the church building is no longer inhabited by God – it is not the house of God anymore, it is not sacred, it is not holy, it is not sanctified.

But the body of Christ is now being built up as a dwelling place of God, the body of Christ is now the temple, and individuals are of the household of God.

His house will be (is) within His believers. We of the Body of Christ are His dwelling place forever.
Hebrews 3:6 but Christ, as Son over his house, whose house are we, if indeed we hold fast the boldness and the boast of hope firm to the end.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17
  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

We so need a revelation of ‘Christ in Us’

We have got to get off the focus of meetings, going to see miracles in a meeting, going to worship God somewhere, going to a meeting to get healed, going to a meeting to get……

We have got to turn meetings into ministry.

Got to get off the focus of meetings and onto personal ministry.

Do you realize that Christ is in you, all the power, authority and ability of Christ is in you. Healing is in you. Miracles are in you. All you have to do is learn to let Jesus Christ minister through you.

God is taking the emphasis off superstars and onto the saints.

You see God wants to use you to perform miracles, He wants you to worship Him from your relationship with Him, every day, rather than a religious meeting where your heart isn’t. He wants to use you to heal others out in the market place, in your everyday life.

1 John 4:4  ………. greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

When you have the revelation that God lives in you you partake of the divine nature and you don’t sin, and secondly you realize that the power of Christ to do what He says is IN YOU. The power to heal is in you, the power to do miracles is in you.

When you have the revelation that God is in you you worship differently because He is with you, walking with you every second of every day – that’s why I can fellowship with Him anytime, anywhere.

View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02/16/2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An idol called the church part 11 - Disilusionment

Colossians 1:26-27 the mystery which [has been] hidden from ages and from generations, but has now been made manifest to his saints; to whom God would make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the nations, which is Christ in you the hope of glory:

• Why are so many people disillusioned?
  • Why are more and more people being disillusioned?
  • What is disillusionment anyway?
  • Is disillusionment the work of the devil, the flesh or the indwelling Christ?
Most Protestants (yes this includes Pentecostals) can see the error, doctrinally, and the idolatry within the Catholic church system as plain as day but are actually blind to the error, doctrinally and the idolatry within the Protestant church system. It is a blindness that can only be swept away by revelation given by Christ. To say we are right and they are wrong without even going to the Lord for His light to shine on areas that He wants changed is ludicrous, yet people dismiss the leading of the Holy Spirit so easily because it challenges the very ‘system’ they believe in.

Maybe you have been involved in ‘church life’ for many years, served the church through many different roles, faithful in attending, but then all of a sudden you become disillusioned. Why?

You see if you are in a church system, obviously you are influenced by it, you are taught by it, ‘corrected’ by it, told it is true, even that ‘truth’ is backed by scripture – but wait, even the Catholic’s think they have the truth, even to the extent that they say they are the one true church. So how do I know the ‘truth’ I know, is real truth. How do I know what I believe, is true?

It is true we don’t have the physical statues, false doctrine such as praying to saints as the Catholic system does, but does that mean we are right and they are wrong. Does it mean that we have a better ‘system’ because we don’t do those things? How do we know we are not found serving a different idol?

The idol called the church has many faces; it takes revelation to see truth.

A pre-cursor to revelation is disillusionment.

I am very disillusioned. But – before you think how bad that is, let me say, it is only good. Let me explain.

Isa. 43:18-19 (NCV) 18 The LORD says, “Forget what happened before, and do not think about the past. 19 Look at the new thing I am going to do. It is already happening. Don’t you see it?  (NIV) do you not perceive it?

Most people of the spirit are very perceptive. In fact we cannot be people led of the Spirit if we do not perceive things.

What you perceive determines what you believe. If people have no perception then they believe the wrong thing – they have false belief.  

Today many people’s belief is derived from education instead of perception, information instead of revelation

A while ago a person visited us who had a hearing impairment – their comment was that NZ was basically boring because they couldn’t hear the birds singing. They wore sunglasses that were more like blinkers so they could only see basically what was in front of them & missed out on a lot of the beautiful scenery. They perceived something that was untrue – (NZ is one of the most beautiful places in the world)

We believe only what we perceive. We believe only what we see. (ask for the teaching on ‘Seeing is believing’)

• So firstly we need to have ears that hear what the Spirit is saying.
  • Secondly perceive correctly what God is saying or doing.
When God spoke to me about the state of the body of Christ a number of years ago I rapidly became disillusioned with the Church. People have accused me of this, but it is actually good, not bad.

If you have been a Christian for any length of time, you must have faced disillusionment in your life. Have you become disillusioned with life, with other Christians, with church, with yourself - with God? Do you find it harder than you thought to walk as He walked? Do you agonise over unanswered prayers, harsh or shallow people in church, a loss of joy, peace or passion?

If any of these rings true for you, then praise God! Disillusionment is a work of the Holy Spirit in the life of every believer. In fact, I will go so far as to say that, if you have never known such disillusionment as this, then you have not been growing as a Christian.

What is disillusionment anyway?

Firstly, to understand this - what is an illusion? The dictionary states an illusion is:-
  • an erroneous mental representation
  • something many people believe, that is false;

When we witness an illusion, we perceive something that does not correspond to what is actually out there—what exists in the real world. Illusions fool us. They convince us of things that are not true. Dictionary definitions of illusion usually state that an illusion is a sensory perception that causes a false or distorted impression, or a misrepresentation of a "real" sensory stimulus.

Biblically an "Illusion" is something that is false. A false way of seeing things or believing. An illusion can be in the form of false gods of whatever system (or mindset) we are in.

So therefore Dis-illusionment: - means the loss of false belief. Realizing that what you understood is not correct, what you believed to be so is not so.

For, what is it to be disillusioned, but to have your illusions shattered? And what are illusions, but untrue ideas and beliefs that we have acquired along our way? The Holy Spirit wants to root out your illusions, he wants you dis-illusioned – this makes way for revelation – revelation then brings forth truth. Education or knowledge, the things we have been taught, doesn’t bring truth it is revelation that brings truth.

For Jeannette and myself, one of the major reasons God bought us to Ashburton was to get us out of the church system. We had an illusion that what we were doing and had done for nearly 30 years, was God. When we became disillusioned with the ‘system’ we saw all its faults and errors in bold technicolour.

After some time we began to see that what God was doing - what we were perceiving, the revelation God was giving us could never have come while being part of the ‘system’ – Ashburton was to take us out, literally – the bible calls it ‘dying to self’.

After a while instead of seeing the faults of the church system we began to see the ‘system’ in us or the illusions we had, in us, for decades. The focus became the error in us rather than the error in them.
Disillusionment set in but - disillusionment, rightly understood, is a very beneficial force! The more illusions we can be rid of in this life - and there are many - the better! In fact, you will discover that disillusionment naturally leads to renewal. The Lord breaks down; but He also builds up.

In fact, it is sometimes so hard to have our illusions challenged, that we prefer not to grow any further, and to keep our illusions intact.

illusions are a false way of seeing things. Revelation is the true way to see things.

And these things have to do with how we see God, the Christian life, our brothers and sisters in Christ, ‘church’ and ourselves.

The reason that disillusionment is so widespread is because people consistently put their hopes in the wrong things. Even in Christian circles, they almost universally put their faith in organisations more than in God himself. When the organisations let them down (and they always do), there is nothing left for most people to do except hide their disappointment and carry on the best they can.

Disillusion is the child of illusion… i.e., we feel betrayed and let down because from the beginning we’ve had the wrong ideas, the wrong expectations.

You see, our problem is that we tend to try to box God into acting one way… our way… the way we want Him to act, the way we want things to turn out… and then if that doesn’t happen… we get discouraged, we throw in the towel and in despair, turn back to the old life.

Many people were disillusioned by the crucifixion of Jesus – wasn’t He supposed to bring freedom to the Jews, wasn’t He the King of a new Kingdom?

THE PROBLEM HAD NOT BEEN THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH JESUS, BUT RATHER THEIR PROBLEM HAD BEEN WITH THEIR EXPECTATIONS.  

Disillusionment means having no more misconceptions, false impressions, and false judgments in life; it means being free from these deceptions.

However, though no longer deceived, our experience of disillusionment may actually leave us cynical and overly critical in our judgment of others.

The problem is a disillusioned person is often cynical.

But the disillusionment that comes from God brings us to the point where we see people as they really are, yet without any cynicism or any stinging and bitter criticism.

The disillusionment with our own abilities is, perhaps, one of the most important things that can ever happen to us.

So with this in mind – are you disillusioned with church? Maybe it is the Holy Spirit wanting to bring you to a place of freedom from the illusions you had about the church system.

You have two choices

1/ Keep pressing in, trying to deal with the disillusionment, brush aside those feelings, thoughts and yes the promptings of the Holy Ghost so that you can stay in the ‘system’, stay in the familiar.

2/ Ask the Lord to show you why you are disillusioned, what is it that you have false belief in? Are you actually practicing churchianity instead of Christianity.

It may cost you everything – are you willing to die to self.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07/26/2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

An idol called the church part 12 - Book of Acts church

I have heard over the years many people say things like “if we could just get back to being the New Testament church…….” Or things like “our desire is to a ‘book of Acts church’.”

Statements such as these indicate a real yearning by Christians to ‘be’ what they think Christ wants them to be, by ‘doing’ church a different way. Most are genuine in their desire to see change come into the church. I have said things like this myself over the years but I have discovered that this way of thinking is fundamentally flawed.It is fundamentally flawed by these reasons.

1/
we are looking backwards from what we have, to what we think we should have.
This is flawed because we are ‘seeing through coloured glasses’. We are influenced by our experience, teaching, doctrine, belief etc etc. including being influenced by the ‘model’ of the church we have now. We are looking at trying to ‘fit’ something we perceive the NT church to be, into what we have today. This goes on the premise that the ‘church’ we have today is correct and we just need to add something back into it, something we have lost along the way needs to be retrieved to make us whole, a fully functioning church, just like the book of Acts.

But what if what we have today is the wrong starting point. Merely adding or changing something is not going to correct the error. We know it is the wrong way of study to interpret scripture through your own modern mindset. It is the wrong way of ‘building’, to interpret scripture through your own thinking. Most guys would have probably experienced buying something that needs assembly, assembling it without using the instruction manual only to find, it looks ok, but it just isn’t quite working properly. You then go to the maker’s manual to see how it ‘should’ be set up.

We can try to build by our own understanding but if we are going to do something right then we need to go back to what the maker’s manual says. Adding to that, we really need to unlearn what we have been taught and see what the scripture ‘really’ is saying. Coming to the scripture without any preconceived thoughts. Hard to do I realize, but this is where the Lord honours a truly ‘searching heart’. The idol I have been talking about blinds people’s minds to the truth, but this is cleared when we turn to the Lord. The principle is; if we turn to the Lord for truth, the veil is lifted and we then see clearly.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2/
What many are looking for in the New Testament, doesn’t exist. The ‘church’ we have today didn’t exist in the NT. If we are looking for a ‘model’ on how to ‘do’ church, how to run or structure the church, it doesn’t exist. Do we have a clearly defined plan set out in the NT for the church, its order, how it works (its methods), its constitution, business plan etc – No.

Is there a blue print to copy – No.

Why ? The answer is that the concept that we have today of ‘church’ didn’t exist in the NT. Let me say again – it isn’t in the NT, may I suggest you take off your glasses and study the scripture.

If we take a concept, we can use scripture to try to prove the concept, but this is the wrong way around. We need to view the concept of the scripture.

In an earlier article I exposed, that church planting isn’t even in scripture, yet the church planting proponents use obscure scripture to prove their theology. They take scriptures like the great commission, to go into all the world and make disciples. They distort this to say ‘go into all the world and plant churches’. Their reasoning is “how can you make disciples without a church”. This is flawed reasoning and the answer is very basic really, how did they do it in the NT. (how did they make disciples before the church planting movement existed?)

Sure we can take things from scripture and make them fit our concept. Eg “they met on the first day of the week”, “do not forsake the assembling”, “bring the tithe into the storehouse” etc etc but we must make sure the scripture we are using actually means what we say it does. One easy way of doing this is, Take our concept away – does that scripture still mean the same thing, or something different?

The church concept we have today didn’t exist in the NT – they didn’t have church then, as we know it today. Yes the early Christians went to the synagogue or temple but these were Jewish buildings, not Christian. I have explained in previous newsletters that the word ‘church’ didn’t even exist until just before the 12th century. The concept of the word church that we have today didn’t exist until then. There are many, many other writers expressing the concern of the word ‘church’ and the manipulation surrounding the origin and use of it, even this one that says we need to be set free from what the meaning binds us with http://www.lapstoneministries.org/church.html

(I encourage you to read it, not just skim it)

I believe we need to be delivered from the idol called the church – why? Because it is an idol - a spiritual entity that controls people. At the very least we need to repent from serving it, and turn to Christ.

So how did Christians practise Christianity for 1200 years without ‘church’? Before I get to that lets look a little at what we have today.

A western church system is based, believe it or not, on Old Testament concepts, with some of the world’s concepts thrown in.

(a) Church is based at a ‘place’ (OT)

(b) The presence of God is in the building (OT)

(c) The building is the house of God (OT)

(d) Run by a priesthood (OT)

(e) Run on business principles (world)

(f) Use of marketing to ‘grow’ the church (world)

(g) The church is the centre of activity (OT)

(h) Viewed as a place of worship (OT)

ANSWERS.

(a) Church is based at a ‘place’ :-

Nowhere; absolutely nowhere in the New Testament is there any reference to ekklesia being a place - period. (Please read the previous writings regarding what ekklesia is)

(b) The presence of God is in the building

No one place in the New Testament is described as being “where the presence of God is”.

Why? Because every born again believer ‘carries’ the presence of God, everywhere.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 15:4-5

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Eph 3:17, Romans 8:9

(c) The building is the house of God:-

Nowhere; absolutely nowhere in the New Testament describes a building as the house of God.

Please read the article on “The house of God” – (Part 8 above)

God no longer dwells in a physical temple.

Again Paul said in

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

(d) Run by a priesthood:-

Nowhere; absolutely nowhere in the New Testament is the ekklesia run by a priesthood or any form of hierarchical office.

The body of Christ (the ekklesia) is ‘a holy priesthood’ – the whole lot of us.

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

While many ‘churches’ say they believe in the priesthood of every believer they do not allow the function of the priesthood of every believer. The function they adhere to is that one or two priests, pastors or clergy act as the priest in the local church but everyone else just sits by and spectates instead of functioning as priests themselves, or are taught that you are priests in your own home but not in the ‘church’.

You see there is no hierarchy, ladder, grade, chain of command or pecking order in the ekklesia – we are ALL priests. The five fold gifts are ‘functions’ - not positions. Some people over the years have asked questions like “are you a pastor” as though it is a position, title or job. I should have said “no I am a human being, my function, or the thing I do, is pastoral in caring for others but it isn’t who I am or the position I hold”. It isn’t scriptural to view the five fold gifts as offices or positions. (yes there are translations that talk about offices but if you look at the Greek meaning they are all talking about ‘serving’ rather than a ‘position’.)

No one should smother our priesthood or our functioning as a priest, the gifts or functions of others should encourage, guide and build up. There are functioning gifts within the ekklesia, there are elders with responsibilities to the local gathering (usually elder people with some years under their belt) but they are not positions of employment.

This is another huge subject that will follow in future articles.

(e) Run on business principles:-

There shouldn’t be any need for explanation for this but for many they just don’t see the error in using the worlds concepts to ‘expand’ their church.

“There is perhaps nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder and discovering that you’re on the wrong wall” Joseph Campbell.

When Roman Catholicism evolved around the fourth century it embraced many pagan practises as well as embracing Judaism. It instituted a professional priesthood and erected ‘sacred’ buildings to worship in.

The western church has been built on top of these foundations of religious idolatry and then mixed in worldly concepts or ideas. Today most churches are run on business principles rather than biblical principles. People would argue that bible principles are the same as business principles – dear Jesus, please open their eyes.

(f) Use of marketing to ‘grow’ the church:-

The vast majority of changes taken place in the last 50 to 100 years have been basically a smokescreen used to screen the religious spirits by making things ‘relevant’ (I hate that word used in church circles) Choose any trend, church growth, mega-churches, seeker sensitive, purpose driven, multi campuses, worship style, big productions using music and large screens, credit card giving, cell groups, home groups are all different marketing attempts to perform the same things in different ways or in different places.

The church system embraces marketing in all its various forms to expand the Kingdom. Question how can the Kingdom of God be expanded by marketing? Jesus never said go into the world and market the Kingdom. He never said go and use fads to entice people in. He said go preach the gospel to every creature. Go make disciples.

Some would say they are just being ‘relevant’ and using modern ways to perform what Jesus commanded. This shows a complete lack of the understanding & working of the Holy Spirit to draw people to the Father. Instead they use surveys to work out where to ‘plant’ a church. Instead of relying upon the power of the Holy Spirit to reveal Jesus they use programs to get people into ‘church’. Instead of relying on the power of the Holy Spirit to convict and convert people they use all sorts of ‘tools’ and gimmicks to get people into church. Instead of leading people to Jesus they get them to sign up for church membership.

(g) The church is the centre of activity

You have probably seen the signs, heard the statement, but what does it mean?

What does ‘I Love my church’ really mean?

Does it mean I love the building I go to? (The seats, the lighting, or the décor)

Does it mean I love the coffee and the fellowship at the organization I go to?

Does it mean I love the ‘worship’, the preaching, or the programs of the church?

Does it mean I love the culture of my church? (the way we look, act or do things)

Does it mean I love what I do at my church?

Or

Does it mean I love my church because it is where I meet with God?

Do you realize that if you said yes to any of these questions you are probably loving the idol.

Why you may ask?

You see the bible clearly states that we are to love Christ and put no other before Him.

Anything man made that we love, is an idol

“Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.” 1 John 5:21

Please read what constitutes and idol here

http://www.miraclerevival.com/articles/208-an-idol-called-th e-church-part-9.html

Acts 7:41 And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands.

Like so many churchianty statements they lead to doctrinal confusion. For example, some would argue that the church is the body of Christ – if this is true, how can you accurately say “I love MY church” – when the body of Christ isn’t yours.

The church that we experience in the modern western world is not necessarily the ‘Ekklesia’ - ‘the body of Christ’,

There are members of the body of Christ within the system called the church but that doesn’t make the church system the body of Christ.

Many people (protestants) outside of the Catholic Church system see this clearly within that system yet are blind to see the same system at work around them, Pentecostals included.

People have accused me of bashing the church, well I don’t want to bash the Church (the system, the idol called the church) I want to see it destroyed because it is an idol. It is actually against the body of Christ. It is designed to keep people immature and bound within the system.

If you don’t believe me try and get out and see what happens. I am not talking about leaving the body of Christ I am talking about leaving the system of the church (the idol). Leave and all hell breaks loose in your life, people disassociate you, lie about you, distort what you say, treat you as a backslidden idiot etc. Some pastors have left the system and they appear to lose everything, yet they gain everything.

I heard a visiting speaker a few months ago say that there were more people outside the church than inside and that we should be encouraging them to ‘get back to church’. He didn’t mean outside of the body of Christ, he meant outside the organized system called the church?

It’s almost as though you are backslidden if you don’t tick the box of ‘attending’ church. One pastor shared of their concern about getting their son back to church – what about his relationship with Jesus, if he hasn’t got one, what about getting him back to Jesus. A church system is the last thing he needs.

A pastor of one of the largest churches in New Zealand said on his TV show recently, where he preached about his church, “you cant be a Christian and not attend church” –

Well Peter, that’s heresy.

He also made statements like “you should be found in the house of God” referring to his church. “you must belong to a church”. And that his “ministry was successful” because it was large and growing.

Again that’s heresy Peter. It is just preaching to build your kingdom and people are swallowing the error.

You see statistically, most Christians don’t go to church.

If there are more people of the body of Christ outside of organized church, why?

Could it be that the system is not working? Could it be that they have something that the system hasn’t – a relationship with Jesus instead of a relationship with church.

Pastor Peter, why should I be found in the house of God when I am the house of God. Where does it actually say in scripture that I have to belong to a church, when in fact the moment I accept Christ I belong to His body.

Many People are leaving the system in the droves; pastors are leaving the system in the droves also. One example of a maga church pastor, Francis Chan, in the USA recently left the church because he said “his life, including how famous he has become in the Christian circle, no longer fit the Bible and he wanted to take time off to realign it with Scripture.”

View full article here http://www.christianpost.com/article/20110103/francis-chan-s hares-details-of-asia-trip-at-passion/

Bill Hybels discovered that older Christians were leaving churches in the thousands because they felt they were not able to mature in the system. That’s because it is designed to keep you from maturing. Mature saints see the futility of the system; it is designed for failure from the start.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the body of Christ and I love meeting with the body because the body isn’t an idol and its not man made.

Someone once said “you shouldn’t go to church you should be the church” I like to go one step further and say “I shouldn’t go to church or even try to be the church (because of its error’s), rather I should be the person Christ called me to be within the body of Christ.

You may say “how can you say I am loving the idol if I love my church, because it is where I meet with God”

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

(please read part 8 and part 10 for further understanding)

2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

You know this was the scripture Pentecostal preachers were using to get people out of ‘traditional churches’ and into theirs. Now I believe God is saying it to all believers.

What does ‘My church’ really mean?

http://www.vimeo.com/10345604

(h) Viewed as a place of worship

This is a religious term not supported in the N/T – Jesus actually said in Jn 4:21-24 that worship would not be confined to ‘a place’ and if we study what worship actually means we then understand that it is not going to a place to sing three fast songs, three slow songs, communion, offering, announcements and then listen to a sermon. A Christian’s worship is more than singing songs – it is their whole life, as an expression of worship, in word, thought and deed. So the actual place of worship is – the person.

Edited by Moderator on 07/26/2011 at 1:52pm
Edward Knox

Posted: 02/16/2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Edward Knox

Whow!  I thought I was unique, seperating myself from traditional church, worshiping alone, until two brothers joined me in fellowship, and searching for the legitmate Body of Christ.  We visited every church in our county, after a weekly prayer breakfast, and found none to be legitmate.  After a year or two we split, going our separate ways.  Then I spent some years, in my basement study, alone, until I began searching for TV church.  I found some solice watching at Day Star, until I found Open Heaven!  This is it!  Rather, His Body, in the New Covenant.  Now we come together on line, and in Spirit.  Thank you for being here for me and countless others, and God bless you and your fruitful ministry, ending my lone search.  

Ed

View Edward Knox's Profile Search for other posts by Edward Knox
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04/08/2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

A powerful series of clarity of understanding. Seasons are changing.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version