Print Page | Close Window

WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH

Printed From: OpenHeaven.com
Forum Name: VOICE OF PROPHECY - Prophetic Words
Forum Discription: This forum is specifically for prophetic words and the discussion of those words.
URL: http://archive.openheaven.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34929
Printed Date: 01/17/2017 at 11:47am

Topic: WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH

Posted By: Ron McGatlin
Subject: WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH
Date Posted: 12/07/2010 at 6:02pm

Worship in Spirit and Truth

By Ron McGatlin

There is need in the Body to experience walking in pure worship. Worshiping God is one of the primary purposes of our creation. Across the broad Body of Christ, there are varied ideas as to what worship really is. Without getting into definitions and teachings, there needs to be a clear sound from the Spirit regarding this important and valuable privilege and responsibility. My intention here is to speak a word of encouragement and clarification from my heart, personal experience, and hopefully from the Spirit.

There are probably many forms or styles of activities that are called worship. Personally I am familiar with only two major forms of what is called worship. I have learned not to speak beyond my experience to judge another’s servant or experience.

When I was involved in evangelical Baptist and fundamental Bible churches, worship meant attending a Sunday morning church service listening to an evangelistic or teaching type sermon, singing a few hymns, announcements, a pastoral prayer, perhaps some special music, offering, and an invitation. There was also talking with friends afterwards and shaking the preachers hand on the way out. All of this plus Sunday school was accomplished usually in a little over two hours weekly.

When I later became involved in Charismatic type of churches, the concept of worship became different and included praise. The terms praise and worship came to mean a lengthy period of demonstrative music-driven singing, lifting of hands, and lively physical responses that may include jumping, dancing, or shouting praises to God. It might also involve seasons of very serene kneeling or lying face down in intimate communion with God. Mostly there was little or no organized choreographing but an effort to just move with the Spirit’s leading. The music and singing could build to a high crescendo and move to a soft sweet melodious harmony of singing in unknown tongues. At times it could become like and engine of strong and forceful rhythm-based spiritual music. Occasionally even a season of spontaneous shouting unto the Lord could fill the air with powerful praise. This beautiful freedom of honoring God with the whole strength of voices and bodies was gloriously led of the Spirit. Unfortunately, over time much of this became an art form and was preplanned or orchestrated by human design. It even became a big business as worship music was written and marketed.

The pattern for these type church services usually was to transition from the worship time into the preaching time and only the musical part was considered worship. This combination along with offerings and different forms of prayer ministry or prophetic ministry could take many hours. Responses became large with often the largest percentage of the congregation coming forward to receive prayer or prophetic ministry or give their lives to Jesus or whatever the Holy Spirit was doing that day.

Some have questioned the authenticity and value of each of these modern-day worship experiences. Those who prefer the quieter Sunday morning sermon based “worship service” do not believe the Bible validates the “Spirit-led” charismatic style services and may see them as emotional chaos. On the other hand the people of the livelier Spirit-led group may not believe the others are fully adhering to the biblical presentation of worship and praise and may see their services as lifeless or dead.

Both of these groups may feel that to some degree they experience God in their familiar form of “worship.” After the Sunday morning worship service, the quiet group may feel cleaner and relieved that they have done their duty. The other group may feel they have actually encountered the manifest presence of God in a powerful way in their worship and praise service. Some critics who probably did not attend may judge that claiming to have encountered the presence of God in a worship and praise service is a foolish statement that is not biblical.

My experience is that there is truth and fiction in both camps within at least some of the groups involved. In general both camps seem to like to point out the shortcomings or failures of the other while ignoring their value and worth.

Biblical View of Worship

The first mention of worship in the Bible is Abraham taking Isaac to be sacrificed.

There is much written in the OT about sacrifice and offerings as worship. There is also much written about not worshiping other gods.

Even a limited search of the Bible will reveal many biblical forms of worship including things like:

Sacrifices offerings and feasts
Give glory to the Lord
Beauty of holiness
Singing praises
Bowing down and kneeling
Lifting holy hands
Not worshiping other gods
Not vain worship of teachings and doctrines of commandments of men
Bringing gifts to the Lord
In Spirit and truth
Rejoicing in the Lord
Praise with instruments
Dancing unto the Lord
And much more

Oh, worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth. - Psa 96:9

The word translated “tremble” in the above verse literally can mean to dance or to twist or whirl and writhe like in pain of childbirth.  

[2342. chuwl, khool; or  chiyl, kheel; a prim. root; prop. to twist or whirl (in a circular or spiral manner), i.e. (spec.) to dance, to writhe in pain (espec. of parturition) or fear; fig. to wait, to pervert) – Strongs]

Living a Life of Worship

Worship like God will not fit in anyone’s religious box. It is far too large and all inclusively dynamic to fit our boundaries and formulas. Worship is from the heart of a crucified life set apart unto God. It is presenting our bodies as living sacrifices that Christ Jesus can fully live in us by the Spirit of God. All that we do and all that we are should worship God as a sweet-smelling savor. Every breath and every moment of life should be a worship and praise to Him.

Jesus speaking to the very religious Pharisees made it clear that all their religious worship and sacrifices were in vain and meant nothing because their hearts were not right.

Mat 15:7-9: "Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: 'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'"

The heart of worship is an intimate love relationship with God that will flow into serving Him with all our hearts in pure worship. Worship first involves relationship with God, intimately loving Him, and secondly involves serving Him by loving and serving His people.

I thank God that the way is open, and with clean hands and a pure heart, true worship and pure praise abounds even in this recliner from which I write. Tears of joy and loving gratitude beyond measure in my heart are met by waves of empowering love and joy unspeakable pouring into and over me. There is no natural music in the room but the melody of his love flows from heaven. I have not words enough to praise Him for His marvelous presence and glorious provision of life abundantly. Oh for a thousand tongues to praise His great Majesty and pure loving glory. Praise Him, oh you saints – praise Him while there is breath in your bodies – He is worthy of all praise.

Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him with the lute and harp!
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD! - Psa 150:1-6

Keep on pursuing love. It never fails
and His kingdom never ends.

Ron McGatlin

http://archive.openheaven.com/" target=_blank eudora="autourl - archive.openheaven.com
mailto:basileia@earthlink.net - basileia@earthlink.net

Replies:

Posted By: Lyn McSweeney
Date Posted: 12/07/2010 at 6:26pm

Bless you Ron....

-------------
Love and Blessings!

Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 9:10am

Living a Life of Worship

Worship like God will not fit in anyone’s religious box. It is far too large and all inclusively dynamic to fit our boundaries and formulas. Worship is from the heart of a crucified life set apart unto God. It is presenting our bodies as living sacrifices that Christ Jesus can fully live in us by the Spirit of God. All that we do and all that we are should worship God as a sweet-smelling savor. Every breath and every moment of life should be a worship and praise to Him.

Ron

Posted By: Sarah Ann Dees
Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 9:51am

Exactly, Ron!  But I am getting tired of all this pressure to give, give and give some more!  When does it stop????  What happened to freely you have recieved and freely give.  When you already are tithing...aren't alot of these charasmatic stars..just fleecing the sheep?????  What about the sin..yes, there is forgiveness and resotation, but what about repentance???/  TRUE repentance.  I don't get it....I think I am more disillusioned with the charasmatice movement than I ever was with organized religion! 

-------------
Sarah Dees

Posted By: Don Rice
Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 10:24am

Sarah,   Don't be disillusioned, the Lord says, " My yoke is easy, and My burden is light". If you are tithing, and you give offerings, when possible, don't be pressured. Follow what the bible says, and the leading of the Holy Spirit. Forgivness and restoration, does not come without "true repentance". The only one who know if I have true repentance, is me. I cannot worry about anyone else. Our only responsibility is to serve our Lord with everything within us. It is so easy to be confussed and offended by others, especially christians. I know all about that, I've done it myself. Just focus on the Lord, He will never let you down. He has so much for you, and Loves you with a perfect love, don't let the sin of other christians steal that away from you. Just pray for others, and let the Lord handle it. He always has a way of dealing with the hearts and minds of a man. I can testify to that, as well. Be blessed, and go hard after God!

Jesus is Lord!

Posted By: Sarah Ann Dees
Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 1:46pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom and ecouragement!  I truly appreciate it!  Be Blessed in Jesus name!

-------------
Sarah Dees

Date Posted: 12/09/2010 at 6:12pm

Hello Sarah,

God does not want your money. He wants you, all of you. He greatly loves you.

Jesus is the life He wants us to live. God is not demanding us to give and perform up to a certain level that He requires. God is the enabler or the empowerment within us to accomplish His will. It is Christ in us that lives and accomplishes holy living. Living by His Spirit and walking in His Spirit brings effortless holiness and righteous living.

Ron

Posted By: Sharlotte Mgazi
Date Posted: 12/10/2010 at 5:08am

Thank you Ron .God bless you . 

Posted By: Janine Nicole
Date Posted: 12/11/2010 at 11:45am

good stuff! lol I keep looking for the like button like on facebook

Date Posted: 03/18/2011 at 2:11pm

-------------
Love and Blessings!

Posted By: Gayle Getz
Date Posted: 03/18/2011 at 5:15pm

Yes Lord, as you said Ron, "Living by His Spirit and walking in His Spirit brings effortless holiness and righteous living." Amen-GLORY TO GOD!!!  TY JESUS!!!

-------------
Shalom-nothing missing, nothing broken-Gayle

Posted By: Bill Evans
Date Posted: 03/18/2011 at 6:44pm

God Bless You Ron

-------------
Bill Evans bspydr28@aol.com       &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;     

Date Posted: 03/19/2011 at 10:00pm

This is a need to read!!!!

-------------
Love and Blessings!

Posted By: Jeffrey Stewart
Date Posted: 03/19/2011 at 10:43pm

Amen!

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.stewart.589 - My Home Page

The secret of great faith is being fully convinced of His great faithfulness to keep His Word.

Print Page | Close Window