Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
Subject Topic: THE IDOL OF REVIVAL - By Terry Somerville Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04/28/2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

THE IDOL OF REVIVAL

By Terry Somerville

Dear Friends

In the last few weeks there has been a lot of talk about a great revival beginning in Florida.  In fact some are saying  it's the 3rd wave prophesied over the years! The last great revival!  Well, I haven't been to these meetings,  but what I hear is tremendous.  Praise Jesus for what He is doing there!  May this launch forth a great move of God.  But I also have a caution for those seeking "the last days revival. "
Revival, as a focus in itself, can actually take us away from God!  Jesus told us what to seek - "the Kingdom of God and His righteousness". 

Revival Idolatry
Revival is a good thing. But, making an idol of revival
is a danger to the North American church.  I know because I did it myself. For many years I pressed into God seeking revival.  I wept and prayed. I studied the revivalists of the past. I looked for the right means, said the right prayers, and hoped....  We had many moves of God....but not revival.  I was often discouraged, even as God was doing great things. All because I was looking for revival.

Then the Lord spoke to me that I was an idol worshiper!  He revealed that I had made revival into an idol. Because it was about ministry I hadn't seen it taking shape.  But now, instead of serving Him in a relationship, I  served an idol of revival in my heart!  I had an inward picture of revival that controlled every aspect of my ministry!  
My relationship to Christ was focused around it.  It shaped my prayers and action. When that picture had fulfillment I was happy; when it was denied I was upset. My flesh was serving an idol!
  How I repented!   

Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumbling block of their iniquity before their face: should I be inquired of at all by them?
(Ezekiel 14:3)

I had a picture of revival in my heart and I served it. 
This picture looked like 18th and 19th century revivals I'd read about, and it elevated me, the preacher God would use! It was a picture that created numbers and success and fame. I was not following God in doing a new thing, I was using God to serve my image of revival.  I prayed for Him to fulfill my picture. I was glad or mad at my congregation depending on whether they were like my picture. 

Revival In Todays Church
Oh how many preachers are serving the idol of revival in todays church.  Glad, sad, mad, or depressed by their flesh commanding idol-picture.   We are looking for the glory, angels, healings and great spiritual experiences. We have a picture of revival and success coming to our churches!  We market revival to the Christian media!  But we forget the humility, brokenness and death to ourselves that is the beginning of genuine revival.  

We Cannot Have Revival. 

We Can Only Have God

I often minister to pastors in Korea. They are calling on God to repeat the revival of 100 years ago.  The problem is, the revival of 100 years ago was among poor, simple,  outcast believers humbling themselves with each other and finally being totally freed by God!  Today  the ones asking are pastors of large, modern , successful churches with a vision to fulfill.   How do we make a shift from a 100 year old revival? We can't.  We need to forget  revival and get back to God.  

Smash Down The Idol Of Revival

... he brake in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made; for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it; and he called it Nehushtan.
(II Kings 18:4)

At one time God used the bronze serpent on the pole to heal everyone who looked at it. But later generations worshiped it. Hezekiah had to destroy it.
The same thing has happened to revival. At one time God used revival to deliver His people, now His people worship it as if revival is a god. The time has come to smash the idol of revival!   Revival is not some "thing" to seek and to have. When a revival has happened it is very good, but it is simply a descriptive term.  Rather, we must do what Jesus told us to.

But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
(Matthew 6:33)

Now I say something that sounds utterly contradicting.

"Oh Jesus! May revival come! Possess our hearts utterly and completely. Reveal the true nature of our characters, what we love and fear, what really motivates us, and transform us,  Reveal our religious natures, how we still depend on what we do, and immerse us in your grace and love. Oh Lord, awaken your church, your bride, make her radiant and lovely. Clothe us in splendor. Make our hearts utterly your own, so your life shines through us to the whole world.
Amen  

Blessings 

Terry Somerville
www.totalchange.org

Newsletter Archives

The Last Wave 

Terry Somerville
 When we talk about the 3rd wave and the last great revival to sweep the earth,  we are talking about the greatest of all moves of God, in an earth. This is far bigger than our continent, and well outside our perspective. God is not American.
This revival will be about  the Kingdom of God in the earth, not the modern western church having greater meetings. Let us recall a few prophetic characteristics of the coming wave of end time revival.   

1. The Last Revival Will Be Greater Than All
We need perspectiveGod is moving throughout the earth in fantastic ways already.  It's not new, it's just new to us!  In Asia and Africa the dead are raised, the lame walk, the blind see, demons cast out, multiplied thousands come to Christ. I have seen it and been involved myself. It is SO GREAT in some  places, I wonder if the last revival has started  and we've been missing it! Maybe we can at least catch up!   In any event,  the last revival is certainly bigger than everything that has come so far!

2. The Last Revival Will Flow Through God's People

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
In the last days God will pour out His Spirit on all flesh" Joel 2:28

The last days revival will flow through believers not just leaders. It will be a "people of the Kingdom" revival, not a "leaders and their meetings" revival. This is why it is often called the "nameless and faceless" revival. (there will still be meetings and leaders, of course. They're just not the epi-center of the revival)  This is also  why we've seen the focus on the market place in preparation for this move. It will flow through everyone.

My wife Karen often says, "I'll know it's a revival when I see what I saw happening in the 1970's.  Christians talked openly about Christ everywhere. There was real love and transformed lives. The city was shaken."  This hasn't been repeated or transcended in North America yet.

3.The Last Revival Will Be Focused On Grace 
The religious systems of the church will either change or be bypassed by the last revival. It is a grace revival!  

It's not about...
who you follow, where you go,

what you give, who you know,
    what you do and how you do it
      No no no, NO!  
( Dr. Suess take heart)

It's Christians returning  and totally depending on the amazing love and grace of God in Jesus Christ.  Finding  total forgiveness and living in transformation. Healing and delivering even the vilest person.  It is the Holy Spirits good and joyful life expressed in every day living. It is the rule of the Kingdom in every man, blessing and expanding in this worlds business, bringing the love and character of God to everything they touch.  A wave of life and love that sweeps everyone before it.

Now thats revival.

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 04/28/2008 at 8:03am
View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Jeff Kingshott

Posted: 07/27/2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff Kingshott

Yes ! Revival can and has become an Idol for too many ?!

Grace is the fifth element , it is the missing link of Unity needed for all to come together  " Grace ! Grace to it ! The Cornerstone and Jesus will come and finish his work for only he can , The Testimony of Jesus Christ IS the SPIRIT of Prophecy . . .

Only as in Acts 2 we do all things as one and share all things together will Jesus flow ~ ~ ~ yet this is difficult for those that refuse to let go and live in the Freedom that the Spirit of The Living God brings and has created ~ The Oil of Unity and Gladness !

I have sanctioned you !

I have sanctified your vessel and filled it with ME for you are My Bride and you carry the Zeal (( \o/ )) (moving & stirring of the Waters ) of " MY SPIRIT IN TRUTH " for you are a vessel unto ME therefore take MY LOVE OFFERING to ALL those that will receive this NEW WINE and DO NOT BE DISDAINED BY THOSE THAT UTTERLY DENY ME ! For this is a reprobate spirit that has shunned MY very Existance and Gift of Eternal Life and DO NOT WRESTLE WITH THE LAODICEANS that have given up their CHANCE of My LampStand to employ their own kingdom pleasures toiling at the gifts blindly and their fruit carries only death !

No ! Come Away from these ! And CHASE those Captive and the hungry in Heart for the TRUTH of the POWER OF My TESTIMONY and THE HOPE OF GLORY for  I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD and the  " TRUE AND FAITHFUL WORD "  ~  " JESUS CHRIST "

So BE MY ELEMENT OF JOY ( strength )(moving & stirring of the Waters )

In the HOPE and PROMISE of the BLESSING of  ETERNAL LIFE for ALL those that Receive ME IN " SAVING GRACE "  " THE ELEMENT " of  LOVE that Causes Forever to BE !

John 5:1-9 LATER ON there was a Jewish festival (feast) for which Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2Now there is in Jerusalem a pool near the Sheep Gate. This pool in the Hebrew is called Bethesda, having five porches (alcoves, colonnades, doorways). 3In these lay a great number of sick folk--some blind, some crippled, and some paralyzed (shriveled up)--[a]waiting for the bubbling up of the water.

4For an angel of the Lord went down at appointed seasons into the pool and moved and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was cured of whatever disease with which he was afflicted.

5There was a certain man there who had suffered with a deep-seated and lingering disorder for thirty-eight years.

6When Jesus noticed him lying there [helpless], knowing that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, Do you want to become well?

View Jeff Kingshott's Profile Search for other posts by Jeff Kingshott Visit Jeff Kingshott's Homepage
Jeff Kingshott

Posted: 07/27/2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff Kingshott

There are five storms coming ,

For this is a storm of Grace ,

To erase everything from this place ,

You see my Temple must be swept clean ,

So there is no trace to what has been ,

For when I enter this Vessel I call you ,

It will be bright and shining of one piece Brand new ,

And on this vessel I place my Name ,

For each one of them have overcame ,

So Israel is the name you see ,

For you are grafted into me ,

The first storm coming will be of FIRE ,

For I AM coming to inspire ,

The second shall be a Flame ,

So that in my Tongue and Language you may speak my name ,

For citizens of me you are ,

And you shall travel wide and far ,

The third shall ring as bells and resound my Truth ,

For it shall come to Renew your Youth ,

the fourth shall come as a Mighty Wind ,

And fill my vessels once again ,

The fifth shall be the fullness of my Grace ,

As I remove my children from this place !

Acts 2

The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.

Peter Addresses the Crowd Acts 2:14-47

14Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! 16No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
 17"
'In the last days, God says,
      I will pour out my Spirit on all people
   Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
      your young men will see visions,
      your old men will dream dreams.
 18Even on my servants, both men and women,
      I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
      and they will prophesy.
 19I will show wonders in the heaven above
      and signs on the earth below,
      blood and fire and billows of smoke.
 20The sun will be turned to darkness
      and the moon to blood
      before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

21And everyone who calls
      on the name of the Lord will be saved.
'[c]

22"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. 23This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men,[d] put him to death by nailing him to the cross. 24But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. 25David said about him:
   " 'I saw the Lord always before me.
      Because he is at my right hand,
      I will not be shaken.
 26Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
      my body also will live in hope,
 27because you will not abandon me to the grave,
      nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
 28You have made known to me the paths of life;
      you will fill me with joy in your presence.'[e]

29"Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. 30But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ,[f] that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear. 34For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,
   " 'The Lord said to my Lord:
      "Sit at my right hand
 35until I make your enemies
      a footstool for your feet." '[g]

36"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

37When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

The Fellowship of the Believers

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Marjo Richardso

Posted: 07/27/2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Marjo Richardso

Thank you for these prophetic words Jeff!
View Marjo Richardso's Profile Search for other posts by Marjo Richardso Visit Marjo Richardso's Homepage
R Broeker

Posted: 01/06/2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote R Broeker

I believe genuine revival starts with 'coming to Jesus' in the literal sense spiritually, and to love the Lord with all your heart (the first command). Revival and His Glory manifest is the result of looking upon "the face of Jesus Christ".

2Co 4:6 KJV For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Act 2:25 WEB For David says concerning him, 'I saw the Lord always before my face, For he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved.

In addition to the original post, if Jesus is a person's "first love" and "preeminence" then there can be no "idolatry" (following something else).

Rev 2:4 AMP But I have this [one charge to make] against you: that you have left (abandoned) the love that you had at first [you have deserted Me, your first love].

Col 1:18 KJV And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Preeminence would mean to give Jesus first place in and above all things or circumstances. Revival should always be centered in and from an intimate relationship with Jesus that's not presumed.

By abiding in Jesus we become exactly like Him and thus see and do the Father's works.

2Co 3:18 WEB But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Joh 5:19 WEB Jesus therefore answered them, "Most certainly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father doing. For whatever things he does, these the Son also does likewise.

Mar 16:20 WEB They went out, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word by the signs that followed. Amen.

And yes--humility, purity, & Truth (every Word of God) are essential.

Edited by R Broeker on 01/07/2009 at 11:13am
View R Broeker's Profile Search for other posts by R Broeker
stuartbryant

Posted: 01/20/2009 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote stuartbryant

Isn't church hard these days.
Pray for revival, pray for the music, pray for
this,strive for that.
What on earth happened to the freedom we have in Christ?
It was taken away and replaced by many idols.
The revival idol, the ministry idol, the building idol
etc.
Christ came to restore a right relationship with God. he
described that relationship as a marriage.
I certainly do not talk to my wife, the way I take to
God. It always seems to be so many requests and so
little of what is on your mind God or what is important
to you God and what would you like me to do for you.
If I spoke to my wife the way I speak to God, she would
be very angry with me.
I think we need to do a lot more one on one with God and
let everything else flow from that.
View stuartbryant's Profile Search for other posts by stuartbryant
R Broeker

Posted: 01/26/2009 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote R Broeker

Back around 1980, I belonged to an Assembly of God church. Even when you drove into the parking lot, the glorious presence of the Lord was there! There was nowhere else I wanted to be but at church! Jesus was always personally present in the sanctuary and was always with me wherever I went. We experienced an absolute 'oneness' with the Lord in all of His eloquent glory.

The music in the church was a flowing Gospel style of piano and Hammond organ with lively Word rich hymns and Biblical & Messianic Jewish choruses. It wasn't entertainment, it was true worship "in Spirit and Truth". Contemporary music entertainment was enjoyed during the 6 weekdays as a blessing from the Lord in meriment of heart. But on Sunday was a lively traditional 'church music' of glorious worship to the Lord that resulted in such a depth of relationship with Him.

Sadly, today there is no distinction between weekday entertainment and Sabbath or Sunday worship music accompanied by the 'fine musical arts' of real instruments and not canned sounding MIDI keyboards and such. From what those who visited heaven say, the instruments in heaven are real such as piano, harp, chimes, and organ.

To back up a bit, the Lord indicated to me around a year ago that the contemporary music style on Sunday was something He was allowing for now (to draw people in). But does every service have to be contemporary? I notice that some churches here and there are returning to organ and piano in one service.

Edited by R Broeker on 01/26/2009 at 2:59pm
View R Broeker's Profile Search for other posts by R Broeker
Jeff Kingshott

Posted: 12/16/2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff Kingshott

Re-up

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version