RaisingThe
Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
OpenHeaven.com Forum : Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
Subject Topic: finding a husband Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Jess Cousineau

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09/13/2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

How does God expect me to find a husband? I don't know if I'm supposed to go out and join a single's group, or go visit my friend in BC because I heard there is a single guy at her church who is a couple years older me and is a nurse and single (and that is rare as their church is very much about the young people dressing modestly and finding spouses in their same church), or does God just want me to stay at home and pray? He keeps telling me to "die," like to die to self I think. I feel at a loss. I don't know what to do.
View Jess Cousineau's Profile Search for other posts by Jess Cousineau
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/13/2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Jess,

What God is most likely telling you is to die to that desire. I don't think it's a woman's place to find a husband, but it's up to the man to find a wife. (See Proverbs 18:21.)

My mother simply asked God to give her a husband and He did it. They stayed together until death did they part.

I found through experience that as long as I looked for and longed for a husband, it made the situation worse. Guys tend to shy away from (or even run from) girls who want to marry. I'm not sure why that is, but believe me, I've been around this block several times and for years.

I'm really fulfilled (finally) in the work I'm doing for the Lord. As I'm doing what He has called me to do, it's up to Him to give me my heart's desires. (See Psalm 37:4.)

Ann

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/13/2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

I've asked God to give me a husband, too, and He said, "Ok." I know there are things that happened in the past, suddenly, that show me that God can send me a husband all of a sudden. I believe that, too... that it's up to the man to find a wife... k I will trust God over this.
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/13/2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Bless you sis. After praying, then we just need to busy about Kingdom business, praying, studying our Bibles, doing whatever He shows us to do. Ask Him to make you ready for marriage and for Him to also make the man ready for it.

Sometimes what is needed is inner healing so that a person does not bring the baggage from their past into the new relationship.

Oh, I like that "suddenly" thing. It's been prophesied that this is how it will happen in my life. Yeah, we just have to trust God and not do what others do in order to try and make it happen (singles' dating sites, etc.).

Love,

Ann

Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/14/2008 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

I know how you feel.  I have been praying for a husband too.  I don't see anything wrong with joining a singles group or meeting new friends.  There is nothing wrong with having friends even from the opposite sex.  We have to do our part and then God will do His part.  For example I am now laid off.  I need a job.  I could sit at home and pray for a job but what I need to do is go out there and look for a job. If I will do my part then God will give me a job.  I can pray for guidance that God will help me find a job.

Don't sit at home praying for a husband.  Join a singles group there is nothing wrong with that.  Meet singles and then pray that one of the guys will asked you out.

View Pamela Helmick's Profile Search for other posts by Pamela Helmick
Tina Dean

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Dean

Jess~

I was in Omaha NE and desperately crying out for the Lord to send my song of solomon man.  I was convinced that it was a guy in Omaha that I had been talking to for close to a year.  Then I felt impressed of the Lord to ask a few people here at OH to pray for me during a specific time period.  I did that and they agreed.   I then got sick...very sick at a time just after that and one of those persons kept praying for me fervently.  He is now my husband of almost 4 months.  Talk about coming from left field and a suddenly!!   I know what the above scripture says but I guess I had to do the initial contact.  So don't limit God Jess.   Keep on asking, seeking, and knocking and do what you feel impressed to do at His leading.  Blessings and hugs to you.

P.s. All total my crying out for a true husband took over 20 years.  I am not making ligh† of your heart's desire bu† if you put it into some kind of perspective outside of your deep need then I think the waiting will be a bit easier. 

View Tina Dean's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Dean
Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

I've really felt fustrated these last couple days. I told God today, "God, I don't know what I'm supposed to do?!" and He had me look at a card on my desk that says, "Do your best." I think He wants me to keep in shape and keep my weight down and stay well groomed and stuff. I guess I'm scared of God's expectations in my part of finding a husband. I'm scared to go to a single's group. I tried looking at online dating sites but I felt like God was saying no to that. I haven't really felt led to go to my church lately. I wish God would just make it happen and I wouldn't have to do anything. At the same time I think it's the man's part to find a wife not the womans <---- and that all together I think is what is confusing me.
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

I understand, Jess, that it can be rather confusing and frustrating. I've been saved for nearly 29 years now and crying out to God for a husband.

What we have to remember is that we're all different. How He leads you might not be the same in how He leads me or how he led Tina or others.

If you don't feel that you should go to a singles' group, then don't go. Since God told you to not do online dating, then don't do it. Since you believe it's the man who is to find the wife (like I also believe) then just let God do it. He is able to bring you and the man together at just the right time for it to happen.

We have to trust Him, my sister. God is totally trustworthy. My favorite verse of all is Proverbs 3:5 which says to trust in Him with our whole hearts and not lean on our own understanding. We don't need to try and figure it out. Just pray and believe and do whatever He shows us to do. Then, we simply let God be God and do what He does best. He answers prayer.

Love,

Ann

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

Ann Doupont wrote:
Then, we simply let God be God and do what He does best. He answers prayer.

Amen!
Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

Today I was really surprised.  There is an older gentle man that really likes me.  And he went to Washington state.  He was going for about three weeks.  I got to thinking today that since he is going there isn't any men out there that are interested in me.  And I haven't heard from him in three weeks.  I may not even hear from him again.

Tonight there was a knock on the door and here it was Jim.  At first I thought it could be his twin brother coming to bring me bad news but it was Jim.  Jim take me out to dinner tonight.  He really does love me because he came back to Pa to live.  I am not sure what to think because he has stronger feelings for me then I do of him. I do enjoy the love and attention he gives me. 

Please pray for God's will in this.

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/15/2008 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

I went to the feet of Jesus tonite, and I layed my whole life down their at His feet, and I accept, that He is my Master, and I am His servant 
Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Jess,

I am coming to believe that the most important thing that God wants for us, is to learn to trust Him in everything. 

This is a very testing time for you, but your trust will grow stronger through it.  Keep going, keep trusting, keep asking Him to help, keep listening to Him and keep obeying what He says.  This is the most treasured relationship you can ever have, nurture it.

With love,

Mandy

View Mandy Gay's Profile Search for other posts by Mandy Gay
Tina Dean

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Tina Dean

Jess~

From reading the definitions below pertaining to the word 'finds' in that particular scripture we can see that it is not JUST the man going in search of but sometimes 'just happening upon as well'.  A chance encounter.  A falling in with.  Sometimes the woman just might have to do something to aid the Lord in having her at a certain place at a certain time. 

That does NOT negate the moment when the man 'finds' as in recognizes her or realizes that this woman is the one meant for him.  We can get really legalistic and yoked down by the traditions of men sometimes and miss something the Lord may be wanting to do.

I am not stating that you must join a single's club or any other such thing.  I am simply saying that you must seek the Lord's will for YOU and how He would want YOU to go and then not let 'men' cause you undue grief or shame or guilt if they are yoked up in tradition.  We move at the leading of the Holy Spirit and not any man.  He does things differently in each of us.  What works for one will not work for another. 

A very real desire to be totally faithful to the Lord can get us snared in all kinds of traps of the enemy when it comes to legalism and bondage at times, so we must be on guard against that.

Your desire for a husband is pure and honorable and comes from God.  Rest in that and the knowledge that He is able to 'make things happen' whether it be over a period of time or a good old fashioned 'suddenly'.  Just ask and then be prepared to do whatever He impresses upon YOU to do.   Blessings.

FINDS:  (Proverbs 18:22)

1) to find, attain to

a) (Qal)

1) to find

a) to find, secure, acquire, get (thing sought)

b) to find (what is lost)

c) to meet, encounter

d) to find (a condition)

e) to learn, devise

2) to find out

a) to find out

b) to detect

c) to guess

3) to come upon, light upon

a) to happen upon, meet, fall in with

b) to hit

c) to befall

b) (Niphal)

1) to be found

a) to be encountered, be lighted upon, be discovered

b) to appear, be recognised

c) to be discovered, be detected

d) to be gained, be secured

2) to be, be found

a) to be found in

b) to be in the possession of

c) to be found in (a place), happen to be

d) to be left (after war)

e) to be present

f) to prove to be

g) to be found sufficient, be enough

c) (Hiphil)

1) to cause to find, attain

2) to cause to light upon, come upon, come

3) to cause to encounter

4) to present (offering)

Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Larry,

What you've suggested is certainly a hot potato!

I think it would be a good discussion for us to open up.  Maybe it needs to be started on a new thread though so as not to distract from Jess's question.

Love Mandy

View Mandy Gay's Profile Search for other posts by Mandy Gay
Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

This morning I dreamt this dream, and then after the Lord gave me a message, that I honestly don't like very much:

difficult time to have a baby
anxiety
torture

I really like this verse: "There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband." 1 Corinthians 7:34

I feel very content with my relationship with Him this morning. I like being His  I absolutely believe, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing,
      And obtains favor from the LORD. " Proverbs 18:22, but I think, this is a special thing to have a close relationship with the Lord, and I should appreciate it.
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Jess,

I'm curious about how old you are (since you mentioned difficult time to have a baby). Based on those words, you're most likely of child-bearing ago, which I am not.

Ann

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

I'm 26, and I've never had any kids yet. (I've never even been kissed ) I've been struggling with God over that I want to get married and that if I had the chance now I would so quit school and want to get married instead, but I have noone to marry, obviously. But the Lord's message to me has been Don't Quit! When the going gets tough - don't quit! (because I caught a cold and had to drop a some courses - which was the right thing to do - the door was absolutely closed in my face and I've had this time to reflect on life and get organized and study).

I wonder if that message meant because I'm in school and school would cause anxiety and that would be torture to an unborn child? I hope that's what it meant.

Well I am accepting God's will for my life no matter what it may be.
Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

Jess you are still young.  Wait on God.  Do not rush, you do not want to marry the wrong one.  Just wait on Him and His will will be done in your life.

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Hi Mandy,

Thanks, I did move my post to start a new thread.  I really would appreciate some feed back on it as it is a "hot potato" and we never hear anyone teaching on this, etc.

Blessings,

Larry

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Yes, Jess, you are still young. Who knows but that the Lord could bring the right man to you right where you are (at school)...lol.

I just went to an inner healing session. Had 3 ladies minister to me for about 1 1/2 hours. It was great. I'd gone for a physical infirmity. They didn't address that at all. Instead, we got at the root issue which had stemmed from childhood.

The Lord showed me that it was this very issue that had made me feel anxious. Now it's gone!! PTL for that!!

There may be something like that in you as well. Something that happened when you were younger that made you feel anxious. I pray that if it is there, the Lord will show it to you and remove it by its roots.

Love,

Ann

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

Yes, there is something, that I think caused my problems, and the Lord is currently working on healing me  I was so depressed this morning, and then I was cleaning the counter in the bathroom and crying out to Him, and then I suddenly felt God's presence, and He led me to stop and go soaking, and after, I was sooo happy and energetic!  GOD IS AWSOME!!! If I make sure to spend time with Him before I go out, I don't have anxiety in public anymore  And I can smile at people at be nice to them! Hehe! God is SO AWSOME! I think I said that already, but He is!!!!!!

alicia myers

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

lol! Amen say it again..He is awesome!......Praise the Lord for your PEACE that can only come from the Lord...

I had a similar experience just today, his presence was so refreshing, their is fullness of joy in his presence.........He is good!

alicia myers

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Wait on the Lord Jess..Just wait on the Lord...Great advice you were given in previous post sister..((hugs))

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Amen Alicia to waiting on the Lord. We certainly would not want to birth an Ishmael. God's will is perfect and so is His timing. Also, we need to be careful what we pray for because we just might get it.

Have you heard the story of the missionary who was being chased by a lion. He prayed, "O God. I pray that the lion be a Christian lion." The lion stops in its tracks, gets down on its knees and prays, "Thank You Lord for this food I'm about to eat."

I don't know about you, but I know that I've prayed some things I wished I hadn't prayed (and then got what I asked for). Instead, we just want to pray for God's will to be done in every situation, and especially in such important things as a life-long mate.

Ann

Rhonda Calhoun

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Rhonda Calhoun

Hi Larry.  Where did you move your post to?

Tina Dean

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Dean

Rhonda~

Two posts below this one...........smile.

Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

Last night I got a phone call from a guy who I only hear from every three months.  He calls me when he is lonely hoping that I will give him sex.  I told him no that sex is for the married. This guy used to go to a church that I used to go too.

Even Christian men can have perverted thoughts.

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Pamela,

That's why it's dangerous to pray that a man from a singles' group ask you out. You don't know where they're at. Sounds like this man who called you is in need of deliverance.

Ann

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Rhonda Calhoun wrote:
Hi Larry.  Where did you move your post to?

Rhonda,

It's the one about I Cor. 7

Blessings,

Larry

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

I did not meet him from the singles group.  I meet him at a church where I used to attend.  I was friendly with him because he was a new person.  He does not go to my singles group at my new church.  He calls me about everything three months when he is lonely.

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Pamela,

It might have been on another thread where you suggested praying that someone asks you out as you went to a singles' group. That's what I was referring to. That's why I suggested it wasn't a good idea to do that.

Ann

alicia myers

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Ann Doupont wrote:

Amen Alicia to waiting on the Lord. We certainly would not want to birth an Ishmael. God's will is perfect and so is His timing. Also, we need to be careful what we pray for because we just might get it.

Have you heard the story of the missionary who was being chased by a lion. He prayed, "O God. I pray that the lion be a Christian lion." The lion stops in its tracks, gets down on its knees and prays, "Thank You Lord for this food I'm about to eat."

I don't know about you, but I know that I've prayed some things I wished I hadn't prayed (and then got what I asked for). Instead, we just want to pray for God's will to be done in every situation, and especially in such important things as a life-long mate.

Ann

lol! Amen Sis...I have prayed for some things too and got them and then ..oh boy, long story...lol!

But, my prayer in this issue is, "Lord, please let me stay single"..lol!...
( But of course let your will be done too.... )

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version