RaisingThe
Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
OpenHeaven.com Forum : Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
Subject Topic: I Cor. 7 and finding a spouse... What do you think?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09/16/2008 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Hey Sisters...

Is it ok for a very happily married man to jump into this thread??  lol

I'm curious what you all think about Paul's words in I Cor. 7: 17-35.  The reason I'm bringing this up is somewhat due to some of the things I've been pondering quite a bit about.  That is that we are in the last days.  To me II Tim. 3: 1-5 is like reading the headlines from today's newspaper. 

What do you think about putting some discussion out on Paul's admonitions here??

Blessings,

Larry

p.s.  You might want to check out the verses with a modern translation.

Edited by Larry Silverman on 09/16/2008 at 5:58am

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
alicia myers

Posted: 09/16/2008 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Hey Larry,

Well, I be's a happily single woman. Not looking for or expecting a mate. I feel I am better off single to dedicate myself to God. I am hoping to remain single. I can't speak for any other woman....I think some of us are called to singleness and some to marriage. It would surely have to be the Lord that calls me to marriage, because I am just not interested at all.

Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 2:43am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi,

I thought I had the gift of singleness, being extremely happy and content, even shunning the thought of marriage, as you say Alicia.  But then a yearning for intimacy and a desire to grow in loving another human being came upon me following some intense inner-healing a couple of years ago.

Since then I have been involved in an intimate human relationship, nearly getting married, but which went disaterously wrong, I guess due to the very reasons Larry has highlighted in the scriptures.

I'm now left wondering whether the longing for a husband which was stirred in me, was actually the longing for the love of "The Husband" Jesus.

My view of marriage is also changing from being about what we receive, to being about what we are required to give, especially in difficult times.  

Life is pretty easy as a single person, especially as I'm increasingly getting to trust the Lord for all things.  It's a delightful life of adventure and growing trust.

I see friends who are married who are hindered in this way of just being able to step out in response to the Lord's calling, because of having to consult their spouse (who more often than not is not in the same place of trust in the Lord).

I look at how much I have changed since becoming a Christian and I wonder if it would be possible to continue to enjoy unhindered growth whilst being married. 

I know that much of that growth is to do with loving others and that marriage provides a wonderful setting for being able to grow in love.  But there is so much more.  I mean things like learning to trust Jesus completely with our finances, a subject which seems to cause contention in many marriages I've seen.

In response to what I believe is Jesus' call to trust Him, I have lived on my own in a tent on the mountainside for 5 months.  I now live a hand-to-mouth existence, trusting God on a daily basis to provide everything I need including the work I need to be able to pay my way.  These are just a couple of examples of how, as single person I've been able to step out in faith...and my trust has been sooo rewarded! 

I wonder if it could be possible to continue in such adventures into the ways of the Kingdom if I were married???

I can see a conflict, after all marriage is about giving your life to serve the other isn't it? ...and in terms of a wife to a husband, according to Paul, it's about submitting to your husband's will and leading, even if it doesn't match up with God's.

View Mandy Gay's Profile Search for other posts by Mandy Gay
Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Hi Alicia and Mandy..

Thanks for your honest, heart felt response here.  You know, this is a very important issue, especially as we look at the days we're living in.  (II Tim. 3: 1-6)  It is so obvious that we are living in the "Last Days!"  Yet so many Saints are not concentrating on what is really important.

Corinne and I have been married 42 years on Oct. 29.  Most of those years have been in our serving the Lord and His Church.  The past 10 years we have been traveling, with 8 of those years, living entirely in a 37 foot motor home.  We are very happily married!  We are each others best friend.  Yet we do have concerns that do take away from our time with the Lord.  We have 5 children and 17 grand children (#18 is on the way).  Just about daily one of them calls, often with a problem that we have to deal with some way or the other.  There have been a few time when we've shed lots of tears over our children.  Often we wish to be "there" with them in their time of need, but just can't due to our location, or lack of finances in getting to them.

Today, our oldest son, a police officer in Michigan, is getting promoted to detective.  He's worked hard for this, has been trusting God for nearly 2 years on this promotion.  We've spent a lot of time praying with him, counseling him, encouraging him on this total faith walk.  Our daughter in law called late yesterday afternoon and said that the surprise promotion is taking place this morning at 11:30.  We are in the midst of powerful meetings in New York State.  What a joy it would be for us and for him, to be there today... to watch him walk into the police station not expecting anything, and watching him get the gold badge that he's worked and prayed so hard to get!  But... we can't be there!  It hurts, probably hurts a lot!

So being free to serve the Lord these days is a good thing.  Being married, enjoying the love and presence of a godly spouse is a good thing too.  But I do feel Brother Paul had some very good advice.  I wish pastors would teach on this from time to time.  It might be a good thing!

Blessings,

Larry

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Larry,

Another thought that I want to add is regarding the faith of one's spouse.

We are aware that many false doctrines have infiltrated the church and  all here seem to be in the process of being de-programmed in many ways.  But what about having a spouse, or more significantly for the women here, a husband, who is insisting that you submit to a false doctrine he may be holding to.  This may of course not become apparent until after the marriage commitment is entered into.

I just wonder how difficult it might be to seriously pursue God in your own life, yet be bonded, in a covenantal relationship, to someone not seriously walking with God, more especially in the case of women who take Paul's words regarding submission to the husband as their head seriously?

Much food for thought here.

Love Mandy

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/17/2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Hi Mandy,

You know there has been a ton of teaching on the submission issue over the years.  Some of it has been really good, while there is some that's been very bad.

I've been amazed at how many have taught that a wife is to ALWAYS submit to her husband, no matter what spiritual condition that husband is in.  Well Paul really sets this straight.  In the same place he says for the wife to submit, he tells the husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the Church. (Eph. 5:25) That love is sacrificial in nature, and only one who is truly walking in the Spirit can arrive to this degree.  So if a husband isn't serving the Lord and wants his serving the Lord wife to submit to him, in especially false or bad things, then that would make such submission null and void. 

No one is to submit to ungodliness or sin or even false doctrine.  The head or true covering for a wife in such a situation is Jesus Himself!

God bless!

Larry

Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 2:51am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply.  Still not a good position to get yourself into though eh? 

I would like to ask those who are married:   if they could go back and start all over again, would they still do it, knowing what they do now?

Love Mandy

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Mandy Gay wrote:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply.  Still not a good position to get yourself into though eh? 

I would like to ask those who are married:   if they could go back and start all over again, would they still do it, knowing what they do now?

Love Mandy

Right on Mandy... not a good position at all, not if you really feel to server God with all of your heart.

You know, I'm really thrilled about this thread... it is very important and you do ask a really great question... about married people, who know what they do now, would get still have gotten married.

I am 62 years old, been married to Corinne for 42 years come next month.  We work together, love each other, without measure.  We also find that many "issues" still come into our lives that take us away from our walk with the Lord.  For instance, just 10 minutes ago, Corinne was on the phone talking with one of our daughter in laws about some problems going on in their house hold.  So... we talk about and think about this for most of the morning now, and we're not fully concentrating on the Lord and our meeting tonight.  This is why the words of Paul in I Cor. 7 are so important!

We have 5 grown children, and many hours of our week are spent on the phone dealing with their issues, praying for their sick children, giving them the best counsel we can, etc.  And that is good because we do have our children.  But I've discovered this about children, even when they are older and away from home, they still can create distractions, etc.  Sometimes it is much easier to deal with them while they are young, at least you are in control then, but when they are older....watch out!  lol

So... would I have still gotten married, knowing what I know now???  Hummm... I don't really know.  I love my wife sooooo much, to be without her is something that I can't even imagine, but I so love God... so love His calling on my life, so I can't totally answer your question as I would have to sway both ways.  But I do tell you this...Again, I sure understand what Paul is talking about and I think that every person seeking marriage should really pray into this and get some very, very wise counsel!

Blessings,

Larry

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Larry,

As I read what you wrote in response to Mandy's question about whether or not you'd do it again, a couple of thoughts came to mind to share with you regarding it.

One: When either you or Corinne are dealing with issues related to your children, THAT is your ministry. You mentioned that your focus was not then on the Lord regarding the meetings. However, if your focus was on the Lord during the time of counsel for the children, that too is ministry.

Two: Paul said to be content regardless of whether or not a person is married. So, it's not a matter of whether or not a person is married. It's a matter of whether or not the person is doing what God says.

Being married is a different calling than being single and yes, there are distractions that come from being married that a single person doesn't experience. However, both are callings from God, just different. If a married person is doing what the Lord is showing them to please their spouse, then God is pleased with that. At least, that's my understanding of how that is to work.

If you weren't married, you might not be even doing the meetings you're doing now. For some reason, it seems to be almost an unwritten rule that a person has to be married in order to get certain invitations to speak. In addition to that, you have a "live in" prayer partner.

Love,

Ann

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

I"m single and I have a desire to be married, but not for intimacy reasons. I trust that Jesus is my husband and He supplies for all my needs. But I do have such a desire to be a mother, and to be a supportive, encouraging wife to a husband.
View Jess Cousineau's Profile Search for other posts by Jess Cousineau
Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Amen, Jess. I too have a God-given desire to be married. Mine is for the sake of the ministry that we will be doing together.

Ann

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Jess Cousineau wrote:
I"m single and I have a desire to be married, but not for intimacy reasons. I trust that Jesus is my husband and He supplies for all my needs. But I do have such a desire to be a mother, and to be a supportive, encouraging wife to a husband.

Hi Jess,

What you wrote is very important and it brings the other side of this entire concept.  God has put that desire into your heart.  It is a good thing! 

One thing that you might look at, however, is about the "intimacy" issues.  That is also a very important part of God's marriage plans.  Often we enter into marriage as wounded people, and often there is a choking at the intimacy things because of the past events that have happened to us.  For instance, if either the man or the woman have gone through abuse issues, then intimacy does become a very big problem in the marriage.  The good new to all is that God heals us from these issues. 

A good example is my wife, Corinne,  was abused as a teen by a school teacher.  It took years for the Holy Spirit to bring the healing that was needed in these areas.  However, she was completely healed of all of this and teaches women around the nation how they too can be free from these issues so that they also can be God's favorite daughter!  There were great battles to overcome in these areas, but overcome them she did!  It was awesome!

Many blessings Jess!

Larry

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Ann,

You wrote:

"When either you or Corinne are dealing with issues related to your children, THAT is your ministry. You mentioned that your focus was not then on the Lord regarding the meetings. However, if your focus was on the Lord during the time of counsel for the children, that too is ministry." 

Right on....,taking care of our children is indeed our ministry.  However, Paul's point is that if one isn't married and having children, these situations wouldn't be a distraction... it wouldn't exist.  You are right on the meetings thing too Ann, but there are other ministries as well, maybe just our ministry to the Lord, or the ministry of just soaking in His presence.  If all of a sudden the phone rings with family issues, sometimes upsetting family issues, it can become very difficult to take the time away from the pressing, emergency situation and spend time with the Lord.

I think that Paul had today in mind too when the Holy Spirit gave him those words.  These are not the best days, very difficult days to be raising children.  We saw some children last week here in NY, products of public schools that you wouldn't want your children to be running with.  Even the issue of... should I put my kids in public school or home school them, might even enter into this thinking!  Last week a teacher told us that in her school district it is just terrible.  The kids talk all during the class, she said that there is zero learning actually going on, but there's not one thing that she can do to change things! 

Ann, seeing that we're the same age.... we sure had things different when we were kids!  lol

So... much to think about on this subject... a very good, important subject by the way!

blessings,

ls

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Larry,

As a single person, I too have distractions...phone ringing wanting my attention and things to do, errands to run, etc. I think it's all a matter of perspective. I know that Paul spoke of the need to try and please a spouse, if married, and it taking away some of the attention that could otherwise be devoted to the Lord.

There are pro's and con's to both types of relationships (single or married). I heard it once said that singles are sad and marrieds are mad. Too often, that's the case. However, God wants us glad, not mad or sad.

Yes, Larry, in the 1950s, things were very different than they are now. That's for sure. I spoke on the phone earlier with a friend who just started home schooling her 15 year old son. She'd said that to purchase the curriculum for the year was $1000. A lot of folks, especially in metropolises where NY is, can't afford such things. They are then forced to send their children into the public school system.

As a child, I went to a Catholic school. We had to wear uniforms, which I hated. I finally convinced my parents to allow me into a public school when I had just started the 10th grade. Well, I found out what it's like there, as I was outside my realm of understanding and got into trouble, dropping out of school halfway through the 11th grade and finishing high school later through night classes.

If only we could go back and do things over, I'd surely do things differently. I'd surely never have married the man I did when I was 16, not ever. He was not only an atheist, but also a communist, his parents being registered members fo the communist party of the U.S. What mind games there were coming from my husband toward me! I thank God that those days are over and that John made it into heaven by the "skin of his teeth" on his deathbed 4 years ago.

Ann

Pamela Helmick

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

It is not wrong to be attracted to the opposite sex or want to get married.  The sin is not seeking God about your mate and running a head and marring the wrong person.

It is better to be single then to marry the wrong one.

View Pamela Helmick's Profile Search for other posts by Pamela Helmick
Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

Ann, I started public high school in grade 10, too, but I came in from home schooling.

Larry, thanks. I don't think I have "issues" with itimacy though, and I have never been abused like that in any way (both of my parents were though, which I think, is probably why my brothers and I were raised so sheltered - and shockingly unsheltered ). I guess I've never had any opportunity to know whether I have issues, but I really don't think I do. If anything, I think, there is so lack of any physical contact between family members (Especially to me - the only girl in the family) that I am probably overly deprived which actually probably makes me afraid of men kind of. Anyway. (God is a  reeally, really, good Heavenly Father).
alicia myers

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Mandy Gay wrote:

Hi,

I thought I had the gift of singleness, being extremely happy and content, even shunning the thought of marriage, as you say Alicia.  But then a yearning for intimacy and a desire to grow in loving another human being came upon me following some intense inner-healing a couple of years ago.

Since then I have been involved in an intimate human relationship, nearly getting married, but which went disaterously wrong, I guess due to the very reasons Larry has highlighted in the scriptures.

I'm now left wondering whether the longing for a husband which was stirred in me, was actually the longing for the love of "The Husband" Jesus.

My view of marriage is also changing from being about what we receive, to being about what we are required to give, especially in difficult times.  

Life is pretty easy as a single person, especially as I'm increasingly getting to trust the Lord for all things.  It's a delightful life of adventure and growing trust.

I see friends who are married who are hindered in this way of just being able to step out in response to the Lord's calling, because of having to consult their spouse (who more often than not is not in the same place of trust in the Lord).

I look at how much I have changed since becoming a Christian and I wonder if it would be possible to continue to enjoy unhindered growth whilst being married. 

I know that much of that growth is to do with loving others and that marriage provides a wonderful setting for being able to grow in love.  But there is so much more.  I mean things like learning to trust Jesus completely with our finances, a subject which seems to cause contention in many marriages I've seen.

In response to what I believe is Jesus' call to trust Him, I have lived on my own in a tent on the mountainside for 5 months.  I now live a hand-to-mouth existence, trusting God on a daily basis to provide everything I need including the work I need to be able to pay my way.  These are just a couple of examples of how, as single person I've been able to step out in faith...and my trust has been sooo rewarded! 

I wonder if it could be possible to continue in such adventures into the ways of the Kingdom if I were married???

I can see a conflict, after all marriage is about giving your life to serve the other isn't it? ...and in terms of a wife to a husband, according to Paul, it's about submitting to your husband's will and leading, even if it doesn't match up with God's.

Exactly how I feel....

alicia myers

Posted: 09/18/2008 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Pamela Helmick wrote:

It is not wrong to be attracted to the opposite sex or want to get married.  The sin is not seeking God about your mate and running a head and marring the wrong person.

It is better to be single then to marry the wrong one.

Amen..It is normal and healthy and a God given thing to be attracted to the opposite sex. I am most definitely attracted to men...But, for me, I have come full circle in this issue...and realize that ultimately I believe I will be happier single and more content single for many reasons, and they all center around the Lord..I can't imagine having to submit to anybody other than the Lord right now either...I can only please him and in pleasing him, somebody else will not get pleased...I am afraid of all the distractions from marriage will not allow for me to stay dedicated full-time to the things of the Lord.

If someone is desiring marriage, it could be a God-given desire...or it could also be the Lord telling you to turn that desire for a mate into a deep desire for more of him...In my case, that is what happened to me a few years ago.....and in my surprise, I no longer desire marriage at all...

But, for those who want it...seek the Lord in all things and of course he will make your paths straight as always......If there is someone for you, I believe he will send them in the right time...Just seek him and let him lead you for your own life...

Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/19/2008 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

I can see that serving your spouse and family can be the same as serving God, and I guess this is what Paul was getting at.  I suppose it depends what you feel called to do with your life, and Paul mentions that too.

I think of someone like Todd Bentley (apart from the recent stuff) and how difficult it must be to try and balance his committment to his family and the fervent desire in his heart to serve the Lord in ministry.  How on earth do you deal with that well?  There has got to be a conflict of interests. If you've got a family, you've got responsibilities and you can't get away from that.

Yes, I think the ideal thing would be to have a husband to work together with, but I'm very aware of the potential problems this could lead to as mentioned above.

I have the same sort of desire as you Ann to take Jesus out onto the streets. Although I do it to a small extent, I feel quite inadequate on my own.  I don't have a church to take people to and I've not found anyone around here with the same desire yet to team up with, so I'm a bit reluctant to go for it like you have. I've been praying for nearly a year now for a work-mate, but still waiting.

Love Mandy

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 09/19/2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Hey Gals...

Once again I really wish to affirm all of you on this thread.  There is no right or wrong here!  However, I do feel strongly, especially in that we are in the last days (II Timothy 3: 1-6) that we should be taking a real hard look at Paul's admonitions in I Cor. 7.  I would even suggest that pastors and marriage counselors suggest to those considering marriage, in pre-marriage counseling, that they take a session and go over these ramifications.

I kinda feel that Corinne and I have a lot of experience in this area, both due to our longevity of marriage, and our present ministry of nation wide travel.  Over the past 10 years issues with our children and grand children have been a part of some of our hardest days on the road.  I recall when our youngest daughter Ashley was very, very sick and expecting her first baby.  We were in California and she was in Michigan.  Her call to us, to her mom was, "Mom... I need you here!"  I can't even begin to describe the hurt and fear that hits a mother in a time like this.  Corinne was beside herself, we were trying to get a plane ticket, even had an offer for a free ticket for her.  Then our oldest son calls and says, "Mom... God's saying that you don't have to come home... it's going to be OK!"  He then began to preach faith to the both of us and we were able to hear God in it all.  It all turned out OK!  Praise the Lord!!

But... Here's the point... it was a very difficult time for us and was a huge distraction to ministry functions.  And... yes.. I fully realize that our daughter was the important part of our ministry at that time.  No argument there, but if we were not married, did not have children, and could remain clean and sin free, we could fully concentrate on God.  I think that is what Paul is trying to get to here.

Mucho blessings!

Larry

alicia myers

Posted: 09/19/2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote alicia myers

Larry Silverman wrote:
Hey Gals...

Once again I really wish to affirm all of you on this thread.  There is no right or wrong here!  However, I do feel strongly, especially in that we are in the last days (II Timothy 3: 1-6) that we should be taking a real hard look at Paul's admonitions in I Cor. 7.  I would even suggest that pastors and marriage counselors suggest to those considering marriage, in pre-marriage counseling, that they take a session and go over these ramifications.

I kinda feel that Corinne and I have a lot of experience in this area, both due to our longevity of marriage, and our present ministry of nation wide travel.  Over the past 10 years issues with our children and grand children have been a part of some of our hardest days on the road.  I recall when our youngest daughter Ashley was very, very sick and expecting her first baby.  We were in California and she was in Michigan.  Her call to us, to her mom was, "Mom... I need you here!"  I can't even begin to describe the hurt and fear that hits a mother in a time like this.  Corinne was beside herself, we were trying to get a plane ticket, even had an offer for a free ticket for her.  Then our oldest son calls and says, "Mom... God's saying that you don't have to come home... it's going to be OK!"  He then began to preach faith to the both of us and we were able to hear God in it all.  It all turned out OK!  Praise the Lord!!

But... Here's the point... it was a very difficult time for us and was a huge distraction to ministry functions.  And... yes.. I fully realize that our daughter was the important part of our ministry at that time.  No argument there, but if we were not married, did not have children, and could remain clean and sin free, we could fully concentrate on God.  I think that is what Paul is trying to get to here.

Mucho blessings!

Larry

I am totally with you on this. If you are single you can concentrate fully on God without all the distractions..But, somebody has got to be fruitful and multiply too.( I think at this point, we may have enough fruit on earth.. )

But, in regards to the last days..Yes, to me, this is a totally different story..If you are wanting to get married in these days, just make SURE it is the Lord and not Flesh, that is all I can say to that...and may God bless the union..

I personally can't even begin to think about having children or a family, the thought actually makes me cringe up...I prayed about it and even questioned myself a few times and wondered if this was normal....But, I have come full circle with this and realize this is the Lord leading and prompting for me to stay single and I am totally ok with this..and realize that it is ok to not want marriage.
( Though some will make you feel that being single is a sickness that needs a cure--marriage. ) Well meaning people think this I am sure.

I don't believe that getting married is a guarantee that you will stay pure sexually and faithful either. That is just a reality in itself, affairs are quite common in marriage... I was talking to someone some months ago who actually said, "Don't you want to be sexually pure"...They were saying that by getting married that somehow this was my 'safeguard' to staying pure sexually. I totally disagree, I would never get married just to have sex, that is totally absurd as far as I am concerned and no 'safeguard' to staying sexually pure at all.

If one wants to have sex with someone or cheat they will do either whether married or single. It is truly a heart thing. On the other hand, I don't believe that any of us married or single are immune to sexually immorality..This is just a reality of life. You have to make the choice to do the right thing....

Ann Doupont

Posted: 09/19/2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Mandy,

I understand what you mean about not having a church to bring people to. That has, at times, bothered me as well. In fact, what I understood recently that now that I'm back at a church I attended 6 years ago, I'm now back into evangelism...not just on the streets but next month, I begin preaching again at the mission. I only preached at this particular mission one time and it was also as I was at this same church.

When I go to the streets, in this season, the only thing I've been doing is putting tracts on car windshields...and only as the Holy Spirit has led me to do. If I was to go out to look for people to talk to on the streets, I would probably need another person to be with me. Since I don't have another person to be with me in this season, I don't do that.

There are people here in this region who are going out to the streets, but their form of ministry is not the same as mine. Unless I can find another person or a team of people with whom I can flow in ministry, I won't go with them in doing it the way they do.

Also, in this season, I'm so busy with so many other ventures for the Lord, I haven't had time to think about finding another person to go to the streets with me. I've been told about a team that goes downtown, and I do have an email address for them, but haven't gotten to writing to them yet.

Since this thread is talking about being married or not, I'll add this. I'm 62, so whether or not to have children is of course not an issue with me. If/when I marry, I would hope to marry a man who has no children. Then, the concern for caring for them would not be there for us.

Ann

Mandy Gay

Posted: 09/20/2008 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Ann,

I don't really want to distract from what this thread was originally about, but just to say briefly, in agreement with you, that if we're going to go out to preach the message of the Kingdom and heal the sick, cast out demons etc. (in line with the great commission), then we shouldn't be going on our own.  Granted there is stuff we can do on our own, as you are doing, and bless you for doing so.  And of course just being out and about being a witness of Christ amongst people can speak volumes, even if we can't do much else.

Love Mandy

Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

Well I had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday. I realized the reason I keep getting so depressed over not having a husband is because I have only been trusting Jesus to be part of what a husband is. There is something I needed that I guess you get from a husband or a father figure, that I was still trying to find in the world. But I am choosing to accept Jesus, and let Him fill that place in my heart.
Jess Cousineau

Posted: 09/30/2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

Aauuugh... and then a few hours later and I'm back at square 1. I am trusting Jesus to be my husband, but why do I have such a desire to be married? It makes it hard to do anything because all I want to do is cry and pray 
Mandy Gay

Posted: 10/01/2008 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Jess,

You're not alone in this.

Once we've decided to give ourselves to Jesus in this way, all sorts of opposing thoughts and feelings can come over us.  I think it's only by coming to really know Jesus, that these other longings will cease to bother us. 

I keep praying to know Him more.  I mean to know what He's really like.  To be able to grasp how much He loves me. (see Paul's prayers for the Ephesians in chapters 1 & 3)

I pray this for you too Jess.

Love Mandy

lisa owens

Posted: 10/01/2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote lisa owens

I really like what Alicia said about being called to marriage. ive was called to it 3 years ago. I'm still not married yet, but I know ive been called to it. I wish i can go back to the state I was in before the lord began dealing with my heart about marriage. Its allready a done deal in my heart. its sealed
View lisa owens's Profile Search for other posts by lisa owens
Ann Doupont

Posted: 10/01/2008 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Jess,

For me, wanting to get married was an obsession and this may be the case also for you. Although I, like Lisa, was called by God to some day be married (in my case, this call was 28 years ago and I'm still single), I tried to "help God" out and several times tried to marry the wrong man.

I think what He wants us to do is to simply rest in Him and let Him bring us together with who He has for us and in His timing. In other words, trust Him and be busy about the business of the Kingdom. Then, when the time is right, He will bring us the one He's planned for us.

This waiting thing has probably been the hardest thing ever. However, it beats the alternative (that of birthing my own "Ishmael"). I don't know why some things take so long, but I do know that who I might have wanted to marry many years ago in the condition I was in at the time wouldn't have been God's best for me.

He has had to do a lot of work on me in preparation for a godly man to marry and it also takes time for God to prepare the man for me. Long ago, a married man suggested that I pray for this preparation; that is, for the Lord to prepare the man for me and me for him. I did that and have prayed that more than once.

When it does happen, it'll appear to be a "suddenly" (as that was prophesied to me in 1988). I had to get to the point where it no longer matters whether I'm single or married. I just want to serve the Lord.

Hope these words help at least a little. What God is looking for in us is to surrender ALL of our desires to Him, and then simply delight ourselves in Him. He said that He'd then give us the desires of our hearts (these are then His desires, and not our own)...Psalm 37:4.

Love,

Ann

lisa owens

Posted: 10/01/2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote lisa owens

I love everything Alicia is saying. You seem very content. just as you said the lord is prompting you to stay sinlge. at least your spirit is quite enough to hear that from the lord  because i know some women who want husbands, they want to be loved so bad but they are not too lovable and they are mean to men. If they quiet their flesh down the lord may give them the same word. God did not began to deal with me about marrigae until I was healed to a certain to degree, God had to deal with my heart first. You really have to count the cost. I know what it cost. It took a lot for me to say yes to the idea of marriage.
View lisa owens's Profile Search for other posts by lisa owens
Mandy Gay

Posted: 10/02/2008 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Ann said:

He has had to do a lot of work on me in preparation for a godly man to marry and it also takes time for God to prepare the man for me. Long ago, a married man suggested that I pray for this preparation; that is, for the Lord to prepare the man for me and me for him.  I did that and have prayed that more than once.

...and with God going to work on fulfilling this prayer, its enough to keep you busy until such a time as the prepared man comes along.

It makes us nicer people to be around anyway (more Christ-like) which is God's desire for us whether we are married or not.

Whichever way, it's a win/win situation. 

Love Mandy

Ann Doupont

Posted: 10/02/2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Yes, Mandy, spending time with God does make us nicer people to be around, more Christ-like as you say.

If we're irritated or upset because we don't have a certain need met, or desire fulfilled, in our lives, thinking that another person can meet those needs or desires; we'll most likely drive them away from us rather than attracting them to us. If we're looking to a man for love rather than to God for it, we could be draining the person who is only human. God is love, and when we're looking to be loved, we need to go right to the Source.

Ann 

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 10/02/2008 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

The end of this month Corinne and I will have been married 42 years.  We were just kids, fresh out of high school, not serving the Lord.  About 7 years later we almost ended in divorce, but... then came Jesus! 

We sure have learned a lot over these past years!  You know, for the past 8 years we have lived full time in our 37 foot motor home.  We're always together.  Neither of us gets "our space."  We work hard together, pouring out everything that we have of God to those we minster to.  Once in awhile one of us gets a little "touchy," but not very often.  Of course, I rarely do!  lol

Anyway... I'm glad that we are together.  I love her soooooo much!  But I also see Paul's advice in I Cor. 7 as something that people should take a hard, prayerful look at.

If anyone wishes to send Corinne a medal for living with me for 42 years, let me know and I'll send you her address!

Mucho blessings!

Larry

Gayle Getz

Posted: 10/02/2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Gayle Getz

Can relate here my Bro,,,smiles,,,my Hubby & I were semi-retired from 1984-1988. We lived in our RV during that 4 years and told everyone it would be a 'real test for anyone's marriage' to do so. We found we did grow closer, but the best part was we had mucho time to spend with the LORD. (((TALK  ABOUT MUCHO BLESSINGS)))We received a prophectic word while at a traveling prophetess' meeting that HE was putting us in "the school of the spirit' and a short time later received confirmation this was  the reason for our early semi-retirement. My Hubby joked about 'going and finding GOD in our travels"... little did HE know! Hey? PTL! HE found us and what a journey of JOY it has been to be found by HIM! Looks like we will be 'mobile' again here,,,in HIS timing! I would love to send Connie 'a metal for living' , but for Christ JESUS,,, ,,,send on the address,,,

Mandy Gay

Posted: 10/03/2008 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Larry & Gayle,

Thanks for reminding us of the "good" stuff.

Love Mandy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version