RaisingThe
Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
OpenHeaven.com Forum : Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
Subject Topic: 1 Corinthians 7:10,11 Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Mandy Gay

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12/20/2008 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi all,

In my time as a believer, which is coming upto 10 years soon, I've heard hardly anything spoken about the following command by the Lord.  Only one person I know of has resolved to remain single unless she is reconciled to her ex-husband, other than that it seems pretty well accepted in Christian circles that divorce and re-marriage are no problem.  Is anyone else sensing that there's something wrong here???

1 Corinthians 7:10,11

To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

Love Mandy

View Mandy Gay's Profile Search for other posts by Mandy Gay
Pat Huff

Posted: 12/20/2008 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Huff

Hi Mandy- Yes, you are sensing it right. There is something wrong. The word can't be much clearer on this subject, but the world has gotten into the "church" and many believers have been led astray by secular culture, especially in the areas of sex and marriage. People make excuses for their misbehavior and rationalize their disobedience to God's word, the world looks on and shakes their heads at us because we are no different from them. God's word remains steadfast and unmovable and shouldn't be watered down and compromised. I think unusual circumstances may allow for a divorce in good concience under some conditions, but that should be the exception rather than the rule. GOD HATES DIVORCE!

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 12/21/2008 at 4:58am | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Mandy and Pat... I'm glad that you brought this up!

Question for you, in trying to generate discussion on this subject....  Do you think that I Cor 7: 10-11 is dealing with all people or only those who are Christian?

For example... a couple go through a divorce prior to becoming Christians, one of them gets saved, etc., then meets someone who is likewise a Christian... are they free to marry?

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
Ann Doupont

Posted: 12/21/2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Ann Doupont

Larry,

That's a good question (about whether or not they are free to marry). I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Ann

Pat Huff

Posted: 12/21/2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Pat Huff

Hi Larry- I would think that the admonitions of most of the epistles are for Christians only including I Cor.7. The revelation of Messiah brought a higher standard to family life than what was already known by either Israel or the gentile nations. To give an answer to the second question, I would believe that the former divorce would not be charged to the Christian couple since it was part of the old life and they would be free to marry. Seeing that opinions vary greatly within the body of Christ, my suggestion would be let your concience be your guide, seek counsel from a godly pastor and put it before the Lord. He wants us to be free and happy.

Larry Silverman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 12/21/2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Larry Silverman

Yes Pat... I agree.

One problem that comes around in this issue is casting everyone into the same basket.  I've learned years ago to really listen to the Holy Spirit when it comes to counseling people on the divorce and remarriage issue.  This is not all "cookie cutter" type of stuff!

View Larry Silverman's Profile Search for other posts by Larry Silverman Visit Larry Silverman's Homepage
Mandy Gay

Posted: 12/22/2008 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Larry, Pat & Ann,

Having sought God's heart over the whole marriage issue, I believe He has a very deep concern over us keeping the vows we make to each other, however difficult that may become.  When the marriage vows are broken, incredible damage is caused, probably far beyond our understanding.  There is something very profound about the "two becoming one" issue which Jesus talks about.  He states that even after divorce, marrying someone else is adultery.  There is something in relation to that original covenant which cannot be severed or undone by the seems of it.  I don't think that approaching it in a legalistic way however helps, but seeking to know His heart and the implications on our hearts is the key.  We are made in His image and so knowing His heart on the matter is essential for our own sakes.  I think that there is probably more to this than we have been led to believe.

Love Mandy

Mandy Gay

Posted: 12/22/2008 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

As to whether the command is for unbelivers as well as believers...

If you're a non-believer then you are not going to be concerned about being one in heart with God.  God's desire is for people to love as He loves, not to blindly follow rules and commands.  The person who follows God's commands but lacks His heart, is no more in line with His purposes than someone who ignores His commands are they?  The whole point of marriage is to reflect God's heart towards your spouse through oneness with Him, in this way being the same as Christ is with the church.  Surely that is the point of the command.

I think that looking at God's way of loving the church gives us the answers.

Love Mandy

Pamela Helmick

Posted: 12/24/2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

If a spouse commits adultery, Jesus did give the innocent spouse a reason for a divorce and even remarriage.  But this is only for the innocent spouse.  The one guilty is not allow to marry after the divore.

View Pamela Helmick's Profile Search for other posts by Pamela Helmick
Mandy Gay

Posted: 03/14/2009 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Bumping this back up to ask if we realise we are actually talking about bigamy here?

Love Mandy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version