RaisingThe
Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
OpenHeaven.com Forum : Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
Subject Topic: DEAD TO SELF [MONDAY MANNA 95] - Marc Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06/01/2009 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

DEAD TO SELF [MONDAY MANNA 95]

Dear brethren,

There’s a wide spread heresy today worldwide that says we must be continuously dying to self. This subtle but destructive doctrine promotes an attitude that we’ll always just be “sinners” and not the saints of God.

Both Jesus and Paul were in unison when they taught that we as saints are dead to sin and alive to God after the new birth. It’s a completed act, a done deal. Jesus did it all, and He paid the price, one sacrifice, once for all.

The holy word proclaims:

John 5:14
Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, "Behold, you have become well; DO NOT SIN ANYMORE, SO THAT NOTHING WORSE HAPPENS TO YOU."

John 8:10-11
Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. FROM NOW ON SIN NO MORE."

Was Jesus being unrealistic? No, we think not. Do you believe by faith that you can walk pure, in full holiness? If you don’t, you won’t, for your faith is lacking to walk worthy.

Once a once close brother from past ministry joint ventures came to visit us in the country for some counsel on a matter that Sandy and I could speak about effectively. He and I had drifted apart for our chosen paths were divergent. He took the American Christian path of success (meaning lots of money stored up), amusement as a main past time, patriotism (God bless American and also blow up Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, Vietnam, etc., etc., etc. and any other possible threat to American earthly success), associating with the lofty (vs. lowly in Rom. 12.16), institutional church culture, clergy vs. laity separation following the head buffalo leader, program mania (vs. a simple intimacy with Jesus), pre-trib rapture, once saved always saved. I’m sure you get the picture.

So, anything I proclaimed to him was suspect from the get go. But I had recently been the recipient of God’s grace in that my walk with Him has taken a new turn since I really believed the old Marc was dead…really dead. Dead people don’t sin.

As I joyfully and zealously related this and the new fruit experienced, he had a coy smile on his face. “So, Marc,” he stated somewhat condescendingly, “is this like the power of positive thinking?”

Obviously, he wasn’t persuaded in the least.

We weren’t physically far apart at our kitchen table after we had had a famous “Sandy meal.” But his words, facial expression, and body language has made his point.

I leaned in a bit and smiled back asking, “Brother, do you believe you can go and sin no more?” He response was immediate and final. “No,” he declared, “we’re just sinners.”

“Well,” I bemoaned, “if you don’t think you can, then you can’t. Over and over, Paul actually calls us saints. We have to believe in faith. Be it done to you according to your faith.”

Our brother Paul writes:

Romans 6:5-7
For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self WAS crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for HE WHO HAS DIED IS FREED FROM SIN.

Romans 6:11
Even so consider yourselves to be DEAD TO SIN, BUT ALIVE TO GOD (the Father) IN CHRIST JESUS.

Romans 8:13
for IF you are living according to the flesh, YOU MUST DIE; but IF by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, YOU WILL LIVE.

There’s much more to say, and we pray to have that opportunity as the Spirit leads…

Many years ago, I received a piece that at its heart was wonderful, but still embraced this “dying” doctrine vs. being already dead. The source of the piece, unfortunately, was credited as unknown. But in re-writing it to reflect this truth of being already dead to self, I offer it for our edification.

Dead to Self – author unknown

When you are forgotten or neglected or purposely set at naught, and your flesh begins to sting and hurt with the insult of the oversight…

…but you overcome this test by the power of the Holy Spirit, and your heart becomes joyful, being counted worthy to suffer for Christ - that is being dead to self.

When your good is evil spoken of, your holy preaching of God’s word ridiculed, and you refuse to let unrighteous anger rise in your heart…

…but instead you continue to boldly defend the name of our wonderful heavenly Father, and His Jesus - that is being dead to self.

When you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity, or any annoyance, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, when you can stand face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensibility…

…and still rebuke but endure it just as Jesus endured it - that is being dead to self.

When you are content with any food, any offering, any raiment, any climate, any society, any attitude, any interruption by the will of God…

…and still give the great sacrifice of thanksgiving to Him - that is being dead to self.

When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation, or to record your own good works, or itch after commendation, when you can truly love to be unknown…

…and instead are yearning for your Home in heaven - that is being dead to self.

When you see your brother prosper and have his needs met and can honestly rejoice with him in spirit and feel no envy nor question God, while your own needs are far greater and in desperate circumstances…

…and still continue to give sacrificially like your poor brethren the Macedonians - that is being dead to self.

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself, can humbly submit inwardly as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart…

…and even see the loving hand of the Father behind this help to walk more closely with Him - that is being dead to self.

Don’t be fooled by any scheme of the devil. Walk worthy of our Savior, dear ones. Believe it, and you will. It’s one of His precious promises. We can please Him in all respects.

Every grace today, beloved….

Your friend and brother in fighting the good fight,
Marc
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version