Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

TOP NEWS - Worldwide Kingdom/Revival NEWS
OpenHeaven.com Forum : TOP NEWS - Worldwide Kingdom/Revival NEWS
Subject Topic: Controversy May Account for Large Turnout at National Day of Prayer Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
News Editor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05/07/2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote News Editor

National Day of PrayerControversy May Account for Large Turnout at National Day of Prayer

by John Jessup, CBN News

WASHINGTON, DC - The National Day of Prayer went on as planned, Thursday, despite a number of objections including claims that the day violates the separation of church and state.

A number of prayers echoed from inside the halls of the Capitol, calling on the power of God to bless the country, give wisdom to its leaders, and protect the men and women of the US military.

"Our nation is who it is today, our nation is as strong as it is today, because of the faith that we have," Democratic Representative Lincoln Davis said.

This year's prayer events took on a defiant tone after opponents threw up several roadblocks, including a recent federal judge's ruling that the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional.

Reverend Franklin Graham ¾ son of evangelist Billy Graham and honorary National Day of Prayer chairman ¾ led the main event at the Capitol, Thursday.

Graham said he didn't want to be offensive, but as a minister of the gospel, could only pray and preach based on the Bible. He gave a message about the leper who asked Jesus for healing.

"The only hope that he had was the Lord Jesus Christ," Graham said. "No hope apart from the shed blood of Jesus Christ."

Graham highlighted how the country's religious heritage is giving way to moral decay, from adultery to abortion, and children not respecting their parents.

Earlier Thursday, he prayed privately with his family outside the Pentagon. Graham had been at the center of the National Day of Prayer controversy after the military withdrew an invitation for him to pray at their event because of his past comments on Islam.

The flap, however, drove many to come out and support this year's event.

"I'm encouraged to pray more," student attendee Josiah Twiddy said. "I mean, I often forget to pray for my country. I'm just forgetful in that way."

Graham said his prayer is for America to be made whole just like the leper who was healed.

"May we turn to You and worship You and acknowledge You," he said. "And live by Your laws and Your standards. God bless America."

To view this article, click here.

Related story

Related story

Previous story

Previous story

Previous story

Previous story

Edited by News Editor on 05/07/2010 at 10:04pm
View News Editor's Profile Search for other posts by News Editor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic