Mormon Temple

VOICE OF PROPHECY - Prophetic Words
OpenHeaven.com Forum : VOICE OF PROPHECY - Prophetic Words
Subject Topic: Wrinkling Suits and Howling Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Don Swanger

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12/10/2016 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

From the world’s perspective, prophetic people are indisputably odd. Truth be told, a significant portion of the broader Christian family considers them odd as well. They obsess about things like intimacy with Jesus and living in God’s Presence and actually hearing His voice. They think funny and always seem to have a slightly different take on any given topic. It’s almost as if they’ve been listening to a different conversation. And they are prone, at times, to say or do odd things that leave normal and appropriate people scratching their heads in bewilderment. Now don’t get me wrong. Most prophetic people don’t intend to be this way. It just seems to come with the territory.

A few people who know me are scratching their heads in bewilderment right now. Asking questions like: “Why on earth would you sing…uninvited…to a bunch of business people? And why on earth would you write about it on a “prophecy” forum?”  Well it all makes perfect sense to me, but…

I’ve been busy. Being odd. I haven’t posted here in quite some time. So why now? I wanted to reconnect, even if briefly, and let some old friends know that I’m still alive…and what I’ve been up to…and what I’ve been sensing and hearing from the Lord.

For those who don’t know me, and those who need a reminder, I’m not a “professional” minister. (I did go to seminary. Briefly. It wasn’t pretty.)  Like the majority of Christians, I spend the majority of my waking hours engaged and interacting with people in the “real world”…the marketplace. Navigating the marketplace can be tricky. It’s full of assumptions and customs and rules and behavioral expectations, spoken and unspoken. Those can vary based on the context. They can even vary based on the office. Or the day. It’s a moving target.

And unless you’ve been hiding in a cave somewhere, you’ve probably noticed that we live in a volatile world. Every day, a host of conflicting and contradictory voices and agendas are vying for our attention and loyalty. Shrill and adamant voices often insisting on agreement with their particular perspective to the exclusion of all others. Or else. And to an ever increasing degree, these voices and perspectives are seeking to marginalize and silence anyone who attempts to speak or live out an authentic Christian perspective in the marketplace and the public square. Anyone who dares claim to speak or live a truth higher than their own.  It’s easy to become overwhelmed and discouraged.

Personally, I’m not overwhelmed or discouraged. I’m stubborn that way. My relationship with Jesus Christ remains the central defining factor of my life. And I remain convinced that my faith needs to form and inform all that I do, in every aspect of my world.  Far from being a personal private matter, it belongs on the street, in the coffee shop, in the hallways and offices. Honest. Engaged.  Dilletante. Meddling in simply everything. Challenging me to do whatever I do to God’s glory. Consciously. Strategically. Christianly.

And…more to the point…prophecy belongs on the street, in the coffee shop, in the hallways and offices. Real. Honest. Engaged. Meddling in simply everything. Prophetic insight and prophetic life are ultimately supposed to provide understanding of the times and practical clarity about how to respond and what to do. I mean, really, doesn’t it stand to reason that the God who designed the universe would have the best ideas about how to live out the day to day details of the here and now?

Now let’s get to the point. This all sounds good in theory, but it can be really challenging in practice. Let me give you an example. You can determine whether it’s one of those “prophet becomes the prophecy” types of things or just a random moment of personal peculiarity.

As I said, I’m a marketplace person. As such, one of the social media tools I use is LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a platform for professional networking. The working assumption is that people should therefore use it to present professional material. Professionally. That’s why so many profiles feature ten year old photos of smiling neatly groomed people clad in crisply appropriate business attire. This is a marketplace for professionals discussing professional topics and industry specific ideas. Or at least cutting edge leadership and marketing strategies and information related to business and success. But songs? This isn’t Facebook or Pinterest. Right?

So here’s my problem. Professionally and personally, I'm a "words" person. I write. I coach. I consult. I do a podcast. I talk and laugh and argue over a host of issues and inordinate amounts of coffee. I've finally settled into a place where I even get paid occasionally to ask the kinds of questions and engage in the kinds of conversations that used to get me fired. Words and the relationships that spring from them are my platform and my stock in trade. Ideas and strategies and direction and vision and hope. Sometimes though, the things we really want to say can't really be said. Words alone can't adequately express them. That's why we have art.

Art lives in that other side of our brains. It scratches at our neatly addressed envelopes, howling to get out. It longs to take on giants, with nothing but a sling shot and a handful of rocks. It rises up in defense of unrecognized truth and beauty, riding out like an eccentric knight into the countryside to scatter sheep and tilt at blind windmills of fear and control.

Art sees what others don't, and lives and speaks with the heart.

So why on earth would anyone post a song on LinkedIn? Maybe to provide another perspective. Or paint a bigger picture. Or wrinkle a suit. Or to scratch at envelopes and howl and kick at the tyranny of the obvious. Or maybe just to cut through the white noise and overload and offer a bit of clarity.

Maybe because there are times when we’re stuck with our own deal and realize that we have no choice but to do and be what needs to be said!

I confess. That’s why I did it. Twice. And I’m doing it again. Here. I simply want to share a little of my own heart and hope it speaks some of what my own mere words fail to express. Because things aren't always as they seem. Because sometimes people need us to shout above the white noise. Because I like wrinkling suits. It's a gift and it's one of my most cherished anti-social behaviors. Because in spite of all the prognostications and claims to the contrary…it’s gonna be alright!

Listen to the Song Now

Edited by Don Swanger on 12/10/2016 at 2:52pm

Quo Wright

Posted: 12/10/2016 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Quo Wright

Hello Don. Reading your post brought a smile
to my face. I have been in this same place.
I've been called strange. Often
misunderstood because as a prophet and
handmaiden of the Lord I spend very long
bouts of time in isolation. Doing and saying
things that completely against the status
quo. I don't try to explain why I do what I
do because I've realized a prophet knows
another prophet. And this is VERY normal
behavior.

Blessings

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Ps 51:10
View Quo Wright's Profile Search for other posts by Quo Wright
Dorris Coulson

Posted: 12/10/2016 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Dorris Coulson

HI Don!

Your song is refreshing, thank you for posting this. I enjoy being in the company of the misunderstood the con-founders of the wise.

I also get thrust into the world to bring his light, yes comfortable to stay in his presence alone but he wants me to share it, invest.
View Dorris Coulson's Profile Search for other posts by Dorris Coulson
John Lawler

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote John  Lawler

Don,
Thank you for your post. As a prophet of God I can relate to all that you have said. Even as Quo said, it brought a smile to my face. I also loved the song because that is what the Lord keeps telling me even when things look dark and gloomy.

God bless,

Rose Cooper

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 2:17am | IP Logged Quote Rose Cooper

Genuine question here - why do people need to state "I am a prophet" or "I am an apostle" or worse call themselves by the gifting like
it is a title of office - Prophet So-and-so? I can't begin to describe the depth to which it disturbs my spirit. It feels like
boasting, like drawing attention, like 'oh look at me, I'm ...'. There are many such words I could use to describe myself, but I don't
and I won't. If you can tell who I am through the Holy Spirit, then what difference will those words make? And if you can't tell and
need the words to make a difference, to know my 'worth'; then that is a difference I want no part of, because I am not elevated because
of what I call myself.

Edited by Rose Cooper on 12/11/2016 at 2:20am
View Rose Cooper's Profile Search for other posts by Rose Cooper
Steven Bliss

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote Steven Bliss

Hello Don, Good to see you around again.
View Steven Bliss's Profile Search for other posts by Steven Bliss Visit Steven Bliss's Homepage
Gary Preble

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Gary Preble

It's gonna be all right! Just what OH Voice of Prophesy needs to hear.
Nice meeting your penmanship.
View Gary Preble's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Preble
Quo Wright

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote Quo Wright

Rose ever since the post you made on Jacky’s post Land of Frogs, I’ve been following you. You posted a scripture that was used out of context thusly causing confusion. I asked you to explain and offer clarity. Instead you came back and openly rebuked Jacky’s response. I knew what Jacky told you wasn’t a bad thing because the Holy Ghost showed me you as Thomas (doubting Thomas) who didn’t believe until he had the physical proof. It didn’t mean you’re not a believer, it just meant you need more faith.

But what Dad also showed me was that He asked you to go back and clear up what you’d posted but you did not do that, therefore Dad said you’re out of order and is walking in disobedience. See that request wasn’t from me Rose, that was from Dad. Since then you’ve posted on Deborah Taylor’s post telling everyone that they should make their post clear so that everybody understands the difference between the small scale and the bigger scale of what Dad is saying. And my response to that was, “that's hypocritical” Dad you asked her to make herself clear and she didn’t obey. But now she’s over here giving instructions.” Rose you can't ask others to do something you haven't done yourself. Now I see you on Don Swanger’s post once again adding your two sense which is not from the Holy Ghost but from your own flesh. I can't receive what you say because you're walking in disobedience against God.

So this is when the Holy Ghost showed me more clearly what I knew a while back. You’re still in your process. You’re still in the wilderness. And those who are still in the wilderness produce a lot of mixture. Some things you say are from the spirit but most of what you say is from the flesh because your process is not complete. The Holy Ghost is still purging and pruning and this season is an intense time of letting go (dying to the flesh) so that you may be resurrected in the spirit. And then once you’ve completed your process, then you’re glorified and sent forth to complete your assignment.

Being in the wilderness where the children of Israel were and in the wilderness where Jesus was is two different places. The children remained in the wilderness because of their complaining and disobedience and this is what I see you doing in some of your posts. Jesus did no complaining because He submitted himself completely to God’s will and to the preparation of the Holy Ghost to do the work he was being sent to do. You attacked Jacky’s words and this is often what people do when they don’t understand something, they attack and reject. But this is what the word of God says, “wisdom is the principle thing, therefore get wisdom, but in all thy getting, get understanding.” We have to make sure we have an understanding going forward because there are things happening we've yet to experience and if we're not careful we'll find ourselves in opposition to God, kicking against the prick.

I had an experience a few weeks ago. In a dream, Dad told me to tell a woman to do something so when I woke I went to the woman and told her what Dad said. This woman didn’t respond until the next day and her answer was, “sorry I’ve been busy working”. I said ok and let it be. Then the next week He told me to do the same thing to another young lady. This young lady did what Dad said and responded. And then Dad said to me, “I’m not using anyone who is disobedient.”

So once again I say, I can’t receive anything that you say because according to what God said above, He’s not using anyone who does not obey Him. I will have to say to you go back to where you went out of bound and get back in bound and then proceed forward from that point. To be more clear this is what the word of God say, “Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.” Jeremiah 6:16. I pray your answer is not the same as the children of Israel.

Blessings

Tina Sundstrom

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Sundstrom

Don

Wow good to see you again.

Don Swanger

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

Thank you for the replies, folks.  As you probably figured out, the point of the post was two-fold...

I wanted to encourage you to listen and speak right where you are.  And I wanted to encourage you with the song itself.

I appreciate your sharing of how the post itself spoke to each of you differently and individually.  That's often how a "word" from God works. It's impact is different depending on the hearer.

As for people identifying themselves as "prophet", I don't find that to be prideful or self-promoting in most cases.  Most of the true prophets I know were dragged kicking and screaming into the realization of that call on their lives.  Sure, there are some out there who are after recognition, but most have come into the role through long and intense refining.

Rose, I don't know how much time you've spent digging through old posts on this site.  The questions you raise have been dealt with repeatedly and extensively in past threads. Particularly the idea that many people are gifted and operate prophetically without having an ongoing role or "office" as a prophet.  Prophetic sensitivity and prophetic lifestyle have been restored to the body of Christ  to color and sharpen many in a host of ministry activities and in the details and rhythm of their day to day lives.  And yet there are actual prophets and apostles set in the body as well, along with pastors, teachers, evangelists, and those who move in ways that blend those functions.  I saw nothing offensive or disquieting in anyone's use of the term prophet as a reference to themselves.  It simply helped me to understand some context for a reply from someone I had not "met" before here.

Anyway, blessings to all of you.

PS.  Tina and Steven, good to "see" you again as well.

Tina Sundstrom

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Sundstrom

Hope you stick around as you are a voice that is needed
here......very much so.

Rose Cooper

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rose Cooper

Quo,

Thanks for the chuckle this morning. I found your post too amusing to be offended by it. I am and remain hidden in Christ, so everything you
think you heard is a product of your mind's need to fill in the blanks with something. What really made me smile was the bit about 'needing a
sign' seriously? LOL I am ROFLMAO at that one. If you only knew how not true that is. Be blessed and listen closer next time. FYI 'prophetic'
people making pronouncements about specific signs, within specific time-frames really need to be very sure of what they heard, before
sprouting off. Other people might decide to come back and call them out on the nonsense.

Don,

Thanks for being the only person to answer my question. I realise I didn't explain in great depth and detail about why I object to the need
in people to say "I am ..." but your answer is an illustration of part of my objection. True prophets should not need to say "I am a ..." in
preface to a word, or as an introduction. If your words are truly prophetic they will shine with the truth to those who have the spiritual
insight to see. If the person reading it does not have any spiritual insight then what difference will claiming to be prophetic make? The
reason why people do it, is because it is the way of the world to announce who you are. I am the CEO of XYZ Corporation. I am the President
of the Neighbourhood Watch. I am the .... The world needs a label to categorize your importance, to mark your level of standing. Why do we
have to follow that in the body? I feel quite strongly that if you need to give a mini-CV announcing who you are, then there is a problem.
Where is the discernment to know if the person is speaking from God or not? The Bible specifically commands those who prophesy to speak, and
for those who hear to discern. It does not once ever command people to announce their position as a qualification for veracity or authority.
The responsibility lies with the listener to discern. Replacing discernment with a title leads to deception.
View Rose Cooper's Profile Search for other posts by Rose Cooper
Daniel Thompson

Posted: 12/11/2016 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Daniel Thompson

Hi Rose,

I have been following these threads for a while and have
seen the same trend that Quo is speaking about. This has
been something that many here have seen, but you have
not. I had decided that I had little to offer the
conversation, so I kept my fingers "at ease". That is
until I just read your response. I felt compelled- no,
rather commanded- to respond with what immediately came
to mind. God has been working on me these past 9 months
in ways that are impossible to put into words. Without
words, He has revealed to me the beauty of His plans
through His awe inspiring Word. I have seen themes in
the bible be revealed in my life to convey to me a
message and glimpses of my role within the script which
He has so elegantly written. One of these themes is
based on an act which Jesus warns about. That is the act
of judgement. It was revealed to me that the reason that
we are not fit to be judges is because we lack the
capacity to be objective and impartial. In other words,
we lack the capacity to be fair to those which we find
error in. Even if the very same error is in our own
hearts. The problem is that we are to be judged to the
very same measure that we judge others. In other words,
every time we judge someone we are in reality only
judging and condemning ourselves. This is why God has
warned us repeatedly of this through out the bible.

Matthew 7:1-3

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what
judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And
why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's
eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own
eye?"

This is the lesson that God is showing me now and how
our whole world is judging more and loving less. It is
no wonder that the evil one is called the Accuser. He
stokes the fire of self righteousness and convenes his
jury in our hearts.

We are commanded with two things and the two things will
cover all other sins. Love God with everything you've
got and love your neighbor as yourself.

Let us focus on revealing the light rather than battling
the darkness. Let us embrace love, as opposed to
avoiding pain.

If the extent we judge others, we will be judged and the
extent that which we forgive others, we will be
forgiven, doesn't it logically follow that the extent to
which we love, we will also be loved?

You're Brother in Christ,

Daniel       
View Daniel Thompson's Profile Search for other posts by Daniel Thompson
Don Swanger

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

re further discussion on the "titles and business cards" issues, could I direct the conversation to another thread?  Maybe "Titles on Business Cards (Or Who Here Has Been Called to the Office of Prophet?)"

Dorris Coulson

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Dorris Coulson

Good idea Don, another post, I persoannly am still embracing the song and video which is what I have been dealing with since July, in the past to but more brutal this time.. Many storms but the focus was to be on him even thought some of the storms were very personal. I was not to get involved at the time and didn't, eventually came to supernatural peace, joy and a resurrected hope.

Also he has sung this to me in the past, Bob Marley's voice, sometimes I can get too serious.

Quo Wright

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Quo Wright

Don I would say yes. God is leading you to
redirect the thread that way for a reason.
And I agree that it is good to go back and
review history and learn from it so we can
see where we're going.

Some people see the past as the past and
choose to leave it as such. I see the past
as history and choose to learn from it. In
fact the old testament (history) was written
for our learning. So I've found myself going
back reading and asking the Holy Ghost how
it would look in our time.

On an individual level as I move forward the
Holy Ghost tells me to constantly to review
my journals because my journals contain
years of history for me personally and has
the answer to many things I'm dealing with
today. And this is because I keep hearing
"there's nothing new under the son".

Blessings
Quo

Tina Sundstrom

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Sundstrom

Don

Where can we get your podcast?

Don Swanger

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

Tina, the podcast is called "Marketplace Kingdom", and it is hosted on the Street Faith podcast channel at http://www.onerockstrategix.podomatic.com.  A pastor friend and I started it as just a conference call for a handful of folks who were asking "church beyond the walls" kinds of questions and put it on the web for those who couldn't call in live. Before we really knew what was happening, it became apparent that we had backed into a Kingdom hunger that has taken it into 57 countries...including fifteen islamic and two buddhist nations. We've heard from folks who are downloading and sharing the mp3's through proxy servers to bypass the censors in their own nations. We've been seriously humbled and amazed at how the Lord is spreading His Kingdom!  

Edited by Don Swanger on 12/12/2016 at 4:32pm

Tina Sundstrom

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Tina Sundstrom

Thank You. After reading Ron's message about the new site
being a 'read only' format, I wanted to make sure I ask
before we can no longer post.

Would you also consider doing something through you tube
too? I have a feeling I am not going to be able to access
the site above.

Are you on Facebook too?

Don Swanger

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

Yes, I'm on FB. My profile is at DJSwanger. The podcasts are about an hour each and are audio only. We may look at using another site at some point in the future, but you should be able to access them from podomatic. You can listen online or download them free. You can also use the link on the site to download them via iTunes if you prefer.

Dorris Coulson

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Dorris Coulson

I have a site the Lord wanted me to start but isn't very active. God-Lovers.ning, a social network, similar to FB.
Dorris Coulson

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Dorris Coulson

Tina re-read the message Ron sent cause I thought he said the old site to be read only, that's my understanding.
Don Swanger

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

I'll look, Dorris

Don Swanger

Posted: 12/12/2016 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Don Swanger

re the new site: my impression was that he is looking for a way to archive the old site as read only, and start forums from scratch in a new format. Actually probably a good idea given newer open source platform formats available. I just hope he's got a good code poet on hand to work out the wrinkles.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version