Mormon Temple

PRAYER Initiatives & Requests
OpenHeaven.com Forum : PRAYER Initiatives & Requests
Subject Topic: A specific time to pray Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Timmy Brookland

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08/11/2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Timmy Brookland

I've thought of an idea, could every day at a specific time most appropriate for as many people as possible we all make a prayer regarding a certain topic. For example someone puts the target from pray such as healing a specific person up on this board every morning and at the time described we get all the people we can around the world to combine efforts in that direction. Make sure though that we pray for at least five minutes on that dedicated topic so that all efforts can overlap. Tell me what you guys think of this idea and also what time would be best for everyone if we are trying to include as many people from around the world as we can. I'm thinking maybe 5pm central standard time.
View Timmy Brookland's Profile Search for other posts by Timmy Brookland
Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/12/2010 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Timmy,

I see what you're saying (and I hope I'm not going to offend you) but I haven't found anything in what Jesus taught that suggests that the more people that pray the better the chances of success.  (Although I can see that there may be examples where it could possibly be effective if many people were being called to repentance by God over a certain issue.)

But, take healing a specific person, for example as you have mentioned... their healing is dependant upon coming into tune with what already is in the spiritual realm, not upon the prayer efforts of as many people as possible.  It is a result of trust in what already exists in the eternal, not related to how many pray at a certain time... which smacks of contrived "works" rather than simple child-like trust.  The prayer of one "trusting" person is all it takes.  Consider the words of James:

15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (James 5:15-16 NIV)

... note it says that the prayer of a righteous man (singular) is powerful and effective. 

Successful prayer comes from a place of rest and trust in Christ... the number of people praying and the time of the prayer has no bearing upon this and the suggestion of it can even lead people into looking in the wrong direction.

There have been many well meaning but misleading theories in the past based on principles such as:

"if we do this then God will do that". 

Such thoughts are not based on trust in who He is and the knowledge of His love but on techniques aimed at trying to get Him to do something He is probably unwilling to do and the need to convince Him somehow (using the right technique or formula) to do what we want.

In this season there is a move away from the false teachings and techniques of the past which kept us at a distance from our Lord, toward the new freedom that comes from simple trust and closer and closer relating with Christ.

With love,

Mandy

Edited by Mandy Gay on 08/12/2010 at 5:01am

Timmy Brookland

Posted: 08/12/2010 at 5:01am | IP Logged Quote Timmy Brookland

I was just trying to extend the the teaching about "where two or three are gathered together unto My name, there am I in the midst of them." - Matthew 18:20. Although people might not be physically gathered together that suggests to me that there is something important about people working together in prayer. It makes intuitive sense to me that a 1000 righteous people praying in unison would resonate more within the heavenly realm than just one. I'm not saying an individual won't have impact but there has got to be something to multiple people focusing their loving prayers simultaneously. If one person praying was equal to that of the many why in church does the priest ask everyone to pray for certain things, he could have the same impact alone? Is it not worth a try, this websites following is ever expanding, the more people you have doing anything in life seems to increase it's impact why wouldn't this apply to prayer?
Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/12/2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Timmy,

I'm wanting to tread carefully here so as not to squelch your enthusiasm, but I am eager to press the issue of the quality of our prayer rather than focussing on quantity and timing.

If we are completely honest about it not a lot of the prayer that takes place in church is very effective is it?  Its sad to say but the graveyards are full of people who held vehemently to beliefs about healing prayer that were ineffective. If your thinking about so many praying in unison is effective then we would have got this whole mess all sewn up decades ago.  Your idea is not a new one :) 

The issue at hand is not the quantity of prayer, but the quality... Jesus taught much about that

We are in a season where the quality of our relationship with the Lord is of the essence.  It is through our coming to really "know" Him in the depths of our being that we see our prayers reliably and consistently answered... when we truly abide in Him and become one with Him. 

In the verse of scripture you mentioned Jesus was talking specifically about the quality of our relationship with Him.  I've quoted the Amplified version of it here:

20For wherever two or three are gathered (drawn together as My followers) in (into) My name, there I AM in the midst of them. (Matt 18:20 Amp)

Following Him and being drawn into His name means being drawn into His person and character and becoming as He is.  This is the result of abiding in and having our life in and through Him.  I suggest that this needs to be the focus of our efforts, if we are talking about exerting and directing our efforts.

I say this because if the focus is wrong we can actually be working against the will of God and totally miss the plot, as well as leading others astray with us.

So I will leave you with the suggestion to focus your efforts on the quality of your relationship with the Lord (keep praying to know Him deeper and deeper)... and let the results speak for themselves.

With love,

Mandy

Timmy Brookland

Posted: 08/12/2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Timmy Brookland

Don't worry about squelching enthusiasm I want to hear what people have to say.

I agree with everything you have said, exactly the same principle applies to buddhism where through mediatation you become more in touch with God and are therefore able to apply that to your daily life.

"It is through our coming to really "know" Him in the depths of our being that we see our prayers reliably and consistently answered"--- So here do you mean its only thorough adequately knowing God that you begin to see the results of your prayers or that is when the prayers actually start to come to fruition. If it's the latter then why isn't it possible that combining those "knowing" people together isn't going to be able to provide a more significant response.

If the premise is an individual by prayer can do miraculous things such as healing then surely they could stop a natural disaster. If they could do the former and not the latter then maybe is because thier individual prayer isn't powerful enough alone. If you had one person with the adequate quality/right intentions of prayer and combined them with a similar person would the prayer not have more emphasis? Surley you would not know until you had tried?
Michele Hay

Posted: 08/12/2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Michele Hay

Pray for me Timmy and Mandy!! I need some very much for healing right now!!

(Those of us suffering need for healing...usually wish the debate over the effective ways to pray would happen after we all fall on our faces to pray for the sick to feel better and be healed... as you can imagine. ;)

Share with me if the Lord show you anything for me...

love, michele

Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/13/2010 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi again Timmy,

Further to your wondering about our prayer effectiveness and "knowing" the Lord... as we become one with Him we come to the place of being moved only by Him and our prayers become of Him and no longer of our flesh... this is what makes them reliably effective. 

Its praying in the flesh that makes it ineffective.  I would estimate that most prayer is of the flesh at the moment.  The results speak for this.

Edited by Mandy Gay on 08/13/2010 at 2:06am

Gayle Getz

Posted: 08/13/2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Gayle Getz

In the ALL Powerful Name of Jesus, I bind you spirit of infirmity attacking my Sister Michele's lungs. You bow to the Name of Jesus, turn her body loose, now. Go! Standing on HIS Living Word, keeping my confession of faith strong without wavering because You are faithful Who  promised, "by His stripes, Michele, you were healed." Thank You, Father,

Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/13/2010 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Michele Hay wrote:

Share with me if the Lord show you anything for me...

Michele, you do not need anyone to "fall on their faces" to pray for you.  You need to rest in the beautiful love of the Lord and receive it.

Learn to rest and remain resting in His love. 

In His love, Mandy

Edited by Mandy Gay on 08/13/2010 at 8:51am

Michele Hay

Posted: 08/13/2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Michele Hay

Faith mixed with compassion Mandy...blessings to you. We need both. Without

spending time in prayer...we do not hear from Him...and know the way through. Without

compassion...we do not pray I think. If I am misunderstanding...please forgive me. ((love)).

and...

Agreeing  Gayle with your prayer of faith for me!!

Talit ha cum! Little covenant girl...arise!!

michele

Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/14/2010 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Michele,

His love is all you need.  "Knowing" His love is the way through.  It's His love that heals.  Coming to really know His love in the depths of our being is what is needed.  Seek this!

This is growing up and moving away from dependance upon others to pray for us. 

Love, Mandy

P.S. The anointing comes from being one with Him.  It is available to us all.  You do not need to seek it from others.

Timmy Brookland

Posted: 08/15/2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote Timmy Brookland

Mandy couldn't the people that know his love simultaneously protect it onto others. If love heals surely the more love directed at one person the better. I read a book by Dannion Brinkley who had a near death experience explain how he could literally feel the love of the people who prayed and cared for him come into his hospital room and help him improve. My idea is that we get as many people with the ability to hone that love (there may only be a few) and get them to send it to some one who is sick. If that person can't heal themselves other people need to help them if they can.
Mandy Gay

Posted: 08/16/2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Timmy,

In part, yes... as new and young believers we often need the love of maturer believers to demonstrate the love of Christ to us, especially if we have suffered from the lack of love in our lives and are unable to perceive it rightly from the Lord.  In my own experience though, when this has been most effective has been when it was set up and orchestrated by the Lord in His perfect wisdom and not contrived by man's well meaning efforts.

I am eager though to stress that our purpose isn't to project onto or direct love at people... it is to help them receive what is already with them.  The love of Christ is already with them... they just need to learn to receive it... and the need for others help in this, in any case, should decrease and fade away as we grow.

In anything we do we must be careful to lead people to receive the love of Christ... not human love or compassion.  There is a fine line we must be wary of crossing.  If people are deriving comfort from the number of people praying for them I would walk very cautiously.  Many people become addicted to deriving comfort from human love and get stuck.  Some never move beyond this place, neither do they want to.  Continuing to minister into their neediness may not be doing them any favours in the longrun and can actually hinder the Lord's will for them to take the next step to maturity.  This is why being led by the Spirit in our prayers is so important.

Sometimes, as led by the Spirit, we can find ourselves not praying as is expected (but for a deeper need)... seemingly being cruel to be kind.  But, hard as it may be, we must all ultimately learn to turn to Christ and Him alone.  Our role is to facilitate this. 

Edited by Mandy Gay on 08/16/2010 at 9:12am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version