Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
OpenHeaven.com Forum : The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
Subject Topic: The Convergence of Two Dimensions - Doug Fortune Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05/27/2009 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

The Convergence
  of Two Dimensions

info@dougfortune.org

Doug Fortune

"Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10)

We have prayed that so many times, as most of us learned it when we were young. I wonder if we really understand the impact of these words, which I believe are some of the most potent in all of Scripture.

Join me as I ponder and allow me to muse a bit here. In that prayer, we are dealing with two seemingly diametrically opposed dimensions- heaven and earth. Paul even uses the analogy of heaven and earth to describe two opposite natures- the first man (Adam) and the second Man (Christ). "The first man [was] from out of earth, made of dust (earthly-minded); the second Man [is] the Lord from out of heaven. Now those who are made of the dust are like him who was first made of the dust (earthly-minded); and as is [the Man] from heaven, so also [are those] who are of heaven (heavenly-minded)." (1 Corinthians 15:47-48 Amplified Bible)

Earth speaks of that which is finite, heaven speaks of that which is infinite. The earth speaks of chaos; "And the earth was without form, and void..." (Genesis 1:2) Heaven speaks of order, as it is referred to as a Kingdom; "Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto..." (Matthew 13:24) And yet God created these two seemingly diametrically opposed dimensions- heaven and earth; "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." (Genesis 1:1) Interestingly enough, God looked at this seeming contradiction and considered it was good! "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good..." (Genesis 1:31)

It would seem that heaven provides "spirit", and earth provides "form"... allow me to explain. We know that "God is a Spirit..." (John 4:24) (the "a" is not really in the text) and that He is "Our Father which art in heaven..." (Matthew 6:9). So God, who is spirit and is in heaven, spoke to Himself and said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." (Genesis 1:26) If God, who IS spirit and is IN heaven made a man in His image, then this man would be a heavenly spiritual man, would he not?

Also consider Genesis 1:27, as it says "So God CREATED man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." God CREATED this man in Genesis chapter 1. However when we come to Genesis 2:7 it states that, "...the LORD God FORMED man of the dust of the ground..." The meaning of this word "formed", yatsar in Hebrew, is "through the squeezing into shape", to mould into a form especially as a potter. So the man that was CREATED in Genesis chapter 1 was created from SPIRIT, and the man that was FORMED in Genesis chapter 2 was formed from the EARTH. Father creates in spirit before things manifest in the earth. I believe that Adam had the potential to be the perfect union of the Spirit Man and the earth man, however we find that he, through sin, became the earthly carnal man.

Before Adam ever had an opportunity to transgress, in His sovereignty and perfect timing, Father already had a "convergence" planned to remedy this unfortunate situation. Let us read about it; "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son..." (Galatians 4:4), "...God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:" (Romans 8:3) This is perhaps the epitome of things seemingly diametrically opposed- Father's own Son, yet in the likeness of sinful flesh. Jesus the Christ was the perfect convergence of the Spirit Man and the earth man. His was the Life in which heaven and earth converged, and this "convergence" happened precisely when the fullness of the time was come.

May I submit to you that in His sovereignty and perfect timing Father has another "convergence" planned? We can read about it in Ephesians 1:10, " [He planned] for the maturity of the times and the climax of the ages to unify all things and head them up and consummate them in Christ, [both] things in HEAVEN and things on the EARTH." (Amplified Bible) Just as heaven and earth converged in the Life of His begotten Son, so it shall converge again in the Life of a Corporate Son, as He is "...bringing many sons unto glory..." (Hebrews 2:10) This "convergence" in the Life of a Corporate Son will in turn bring forth a "convergence" of global proportion that will manifest in the natural realm, thus affecting all of creation. And how, you ask, will all this come to pass?....

(To be continued...)

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 05/28/2009 at 6:03pm
View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05/28/2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

The Convergence
  of Two Dimensions

(Part Two)

info@dougfortune.org

Doug Fortune

May I submit to you that in His sovereignty and perfect timing Father has another "convergence" planned? We can read about it in Ephesians 1:10, " [He planned] for the maturity of the times and the climax of the ages to unify all things and head them up and consummate them in Christ, [both] things in HEAVEN and things on the EARTH." (Amplified Bible) Just as heaven and earth converged in the Life of His begotten Son, so it shall converge again in the Life of a Corporate Son, as He is "...bringing many sons unto glory..." (Hebrews 2:10) This "convergence" in the Life of a Corporate Son will in turn bring forth a "convergence" of global proportion that will manifest in the natural realm, thus affecting all of creation.

And how, you ask, will all this come to pass?.... It will be the direct fulfillment of the cry, "Thy kingdom come! Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven!" (Matthew 6:10) Words act as containers, and contained within the words of this potent prophetic decree is the spiritual substance that shall bring it to pass in its' fullness!

So, what does this mean?... "Thy kingdom come." Obviously it speaks of HIS Kingdom, and the Kingdom is simply an extension of the identity of the King. The word translated as "kingdom" is basileia in Greek. Thayer's Greek Lexicon includes this definition: 1) royal power, kingship, dominion, rule; 1a) not to be confused with an actual kingdom but rather the right or authority to rule over a kingdom. It is important to understand the latter part of that definition. Many in Christendom today are looking for a literal Kingdom, the New Jerusalem, to somehow fall from the sky. Perhaps we have seen a few too many science fiction movies? (smile)

The Kingdom of God is the power, the dominion, the right and authority to rule over a kingdom; and the Kingdom is IN the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is IN us! "For the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy IN the Holy Ghost." (Romans 14:17) "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the Kingdom of God is WITHIN you." (Luke 17:21)

So when we pray, "Thy kingdom come!", we must not be looking for some abstract external event. We must understand the the way the Kingdom has entrance into this natural earthly realm is THROUGH US!

The word translated as "come" in the phrase "Thy Kingdom come" is erchomai in Greek. Its' meanings include- to accompany, appear, bring, come, enter. As I looked through the frequent usage of this word in the New Testament, it seemed to be used mostly in the context of "persons" coming, appearing, entering; it is used much less frequently in the context of "things" coming. This confirms the idea of the Kingdom "coming" or "appearing" because the Kingdom is essentially an extension of the identity of the King. The Kingdom is not so much a "thing" as it is a Person... the Person of Christ the King! Perhaps one fulfillment of the prayer, "Thy kingdom come!" might be found in 1 John 4:17, "...as HE (Christ, the Kingdom) IS, so are WE (appearing) in this world."

It is also important to note that erchomai in Greek is used only in the present and imperfect tenses. Bear with me for a quick but relevant grammar lesson. The present tense is INTERNAL, that is, it portrays the action from the inside of the event without regard for beginning or end. It is sometimes called progressive. It basically represents an activity as in PROCESS or in progress. Like the present tense, the imperfect tense displays an internal aspect. This contrasts with the aorist tense, which portrays the action in summary. For the most part, the aorist takes a snapshot of the action while the imperfect (like the present) takes a motion picture, portraying the action as it UNFOLDS.

This speaks volumes as it confirms the INTERNAL and progressive PROCESS of the UNFOLDING revelation of Christ (the Kingdom) within US! Let our urgent cry be, Thy Kingdom COME!

We also have a poignant prophetic picture in Acts 1:11; "Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so COME (erchomai) in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven." In a literal picture, here we find Jesus the Christ RISING UP from the EARTHLY natural realm, ascending into the HEAVENLY realm. Now shift with me into the spiritual significance of this prophetic picture. The promise was that He shall so COME (erchomai) in like manner. I believe that Father is preparing a people in which the character and nature of Christ is RISING UP causing us to ascend from life lived from the EARTHLY natural realm, into a Life that originates from the HEAVENLY realm. "And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to His throne." (Revelation 12:5) The net effect of Jesus ascending to heaven was that His Spirit was released into the realm of the earth. The net effect of our ascending into a Life that originates from the heavenly realm, is that HEAVEN will be released into the realm of the EARTH. "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come (erchomai). And let him that heareth say, Come! (erchomai)..." (Revelation 22:17)

So we have seen that the Kingdom "coming" is not so much an abstract external event, as it is an internal and progressive process of the unfolding revelation of Christ (the Kingdom) within a people. Now let us move to the next part of the verse; "...Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."....

(To be continued...)

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 05/28/2009 at 6:03pm
View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Joshua Hart

Posted: 06/06/2009 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Joshua Hart

AMEN
View Joshua Hart's Profile Search for other posts by Joshua Hart
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06/10/2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

The Convergence
  of Two Dimensions

(Part Three)

Doug Fortune

So we have seen that the Kingdom "coming" is not so much an abstract external event, as it is an internal and progressive process of the unfolding revelation of Christ (the Kingdom) within a people. Now let us move to the next part of the verse; "...Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."

The word translated as "will" in the phrase "Thy will be done" is thelema in Greek. Its' meanings include- a determination, specifically purpose, decree; abstractly volition. Father already has a WILL, a purpose, a DECREE over everything! "Declaring the END from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I WILL DO all my pleasure:" (Isaiah 46:10) Even the things that Father has not yet brought to pass in this natural realm were DECLARED from the beginning, and from ancient times! Ephesians 1:11 explains further, "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated ACCORDING TO the PURPOSE of Him who worketh ALL THINGS after the counsel of His OWN WILL:" Father is indeed working all things, yes ALL things according to His purpose and will!

And what is His purpose, what is His will?... Back up one verse and we will see it, "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things IN Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even IN Him:" (Ephesians 1:10) Let us consider this verse closer.

When most of us read the word "dispensation" we tend to think it is a particular measure of time, i.e. the "dispensation of grace", etc. This is an unfortunate assumption, because that is not really what the word means. The word translated as "dispensation" is oikonomia in Greek. We get our english word economy from oikonomia. Its' meanings include- administration (of a household or estate); specifically a religious economy: - dispensation, stewardship. Thayer's gives it this definition- the management of a household or of household affairs. Rather than a particular measure of time, it is more the idea of management, economy, stewarding of a household. As you read the word "economy" don't think just of money either. Here are a couple more definitions of the word "economy" from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary- the arrangement or mode of operation of something, a SYSTEM especially of INTERACTION and exchange. An economy encompasses all areas of life. Once again, this souds like Father working ALL things according to His purpose and will! Keep this definition of economy in mind as we move to define "the fulness of times."

The word translated as "fulness" is pleroma in Greek, its' meanings include- that which is or has been filled, repletion or COMPLETION. It is from the Greek word pleroo, which means to make replete, that is, literally to CRAM as a net. The word translated as "of times" is kairos in Greek, its' meanings include- set or proper time, the appointed time, a fixed and definite time, the time when things are brought to crisis, the decisive EPOCH waited for.

So, let's put all this together and answer the question, What is His purpose, what is His will?... It is the operation and working of all interaction in every area of life to bring to completion the decisive epoch waited for! So much for living a hum-drum mediocre life! Christianity is not meant to be boring. Father does NOT call us to mediocrity! Don't get me wrong, this does not always mean glitz, glamor, signs, wonders and miracles either. Raising your kids or working at the factory or office may not be very glamorous, but it can be filled and crammed with kairos- appointed times. We must shift from a "chronos" natural time mentality and understand that we are living in "kairos" appointed time, epoch time, and it is pregnant with Father's purpose and will.

This working of all interaction in every area of life to bring to completion the decisive epoch waited for is in order that "He might gather together in one all things IN Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even IN Him:" It is ALL working towards a "convergence" of heaven and earth! Do I live as if ALL things are IN Christ?... or is it only my so-called "spiritual life" that is IN Christ?

With an understanding of what His will is, we can move on in the verse; "...be done in earth, as it is in heaven." The word translated as "be done" is ginomai in Greek, its' meanings include- to cause to be, it is the “gen” in the English word generate, to become or come into being, be brought (to pass), be fulfilled. As we pray, Thy will be done, it is a creative declaration that reaches into the spiritual realm and serves as a catalyst for His will to be “gen” -erated, a spiritual genesis established in earth, thus causing it to be manifested in the natural realm. It is much more than just wishful thinking! It is a creative genesis!

Now we move on to a fascinating paradigm shift in our thinking; "...in earth, as it is in heaven." You would think that in translation where you have two different words in the same sentence you would translate them as different words. Here you have two uses of the English word "in" in the same sentence, however they are two different words in Greek. The word translated as "in" in the phrase "in earth" is epi in Greek. This is not the usual word for "in" that we find in Greek. The word translated as "in" in the phrase "in heaven" is en in Greek. The Greek word epi is a primary preposition properly meaning SUPERIMPOSITION of time, place, order, etc.

So when we decree, Thy will be done IN earth, what we are really declaring is this- Thy will be gen-erated, creating a new genesis in this natural realm and SUPERIMPOSED upon the earth. When I look at it in this light it makes me think of overshadowing; "While He yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him.... And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw NO MAN, save Jesus ONLY." (Matthew 17:5, 8) The result of this overshadowing was this- they saw NO MAN, they saw Jesus ONLY! Father, our prayer is that we might see a complete OVERSHADOWING of heaven in earth, that in ALL things Christ, and Christ alone would be seen!

I have always seen the EARTH in the phrase, "in earth as it is in heaven", to mean the "earth" of these earthen vessels that we are; "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us." (2 Corinthians 4:7) in other words, His will being done in US as earthen vessels. I still believe it can certainly be applied to us as earthen vessels, however it behooves us to look at the the real meaning of the word.

The word translated as "earth" is ge (pronounced ghay) in Greek. It means soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe (including the occupants in each application): - country, ground, land, world. When I pray, "Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.", I am decreeing that His will be superimposed upon the literal earth, that His will be superimposed upon the natural realm! Yes, His will is a spiritual thing but it must ultimately be manifested in this natural realm. The Church has mostly been preoccupied with trying to get people of the earth ready to go to heaven, when Father's will is rather to bring heaven to the people of the earth!

Now on to the next phrase, "...as it is in heaven." First, we must recognize that the words "it is" have been added and are not in the original text. It should read, "...as in heaven." The word translated as "as" is hos in Greek. It means- which how, that is, in that manner, according as, even as, like (as, unto). The word translated as "in" is en in Greek. It is a primary preposition denoting FIXED POSITION (in place, time or state), a relation of REST. Let's put that all together and we come up with this declaration- His will be superimposed upon the natural realm, in the SAME MANNER as His will IS a FIXED POSITION in heaven, a relation of REST because it was FINISHED from the foundation of the world! "For we which have believed do enter into REST... although the works were FINISHED from the foundation of the world." (Hebrews 4:3)

What an all inclusive, all encompassing decree that Jesus Himself has given us, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10) As I said from the outset of this writing, I believe those are some of the most potent words in all of Scripture. May they not be just words, however. May "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" characterize the very essence of our lives! May we BECOME the fulfillment of this prayer, as we continue to press toward the mark of the high calling in Christ!

Doug Fortune
info@dougfortune.org
www.InChristInternational.com

View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator
Mandy Gay

Posted: 06/11/2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Doug wrote:

What an all inclusive, all encompassing decree that Jesus Himself has given us, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10) As I said from the outset of this writing, I believe those are some of the most potent words in all of Scripture.

Amen!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version