Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
OpenHeaven.com Forum : The Changing Church - ORGANIC CHURCH Discussion & Articles
Subject Topic: Global Initiatives: What is God Up To? - House2House Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
News Room
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/21/2009 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote News Room

< content=BJMIKPALFG name=SKYPE_ID>

Global Initiatives: What is God Up To?

I have never been comfortable with the type of language that says that we (or anyone else for that matter) are on the "cutting edge" of something that God is doing. It seems so presumptuous to me! It is a huge blessing to be allowed to be involved with the Lord, to cooperate with the Holy Spirit, and to learn to listen to "His voice" (John 5:19 and John 10:3). But to jump from the fact that the Lord does speak to us, to the presumption that what he is saying to us is somehow more important than what He may be saying to many others around the world is to my mind a huge and unhelpful leap.

With those thoughts in mind, I want to report on some unusual opportunities that Felicity and I have found ourselves involved in over the past couple of weeks, and ask your prayer for a time coming up shortly in India.

Most of you reading this newsletter know of Wolfgang Simson, and the impact he has had around the world through his book, Houses That Change The World. Wolfgang felt led of the Lord a little over a year ago to call together some folk involved in house church planting movements from around the world to gather in Antioch (in the Hatay region of modern Turkey) to wait on the Lord together to try to understand what it was that happened in the first missionary sending movement of the church as described in Acts 13. Over the past week Felicity and I have been privileged to be a part of that "listening gathering," trying to understand at a deeper level what happened in Acts 13 as the "prophets and teachers" waited on the Lord together.

Well, I don't think anyone would claim that this group in Antioch was only made up of prophets and teachers, but we did try our best to use the week to listen to the Lord together. And the Lord definitely underlined to us both the importance of the prophetic (i.e. hearing from God) and of the apostolic (being sent out by God into a task or sphere of influence where God is wanting to initiate change) calling to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness". This is just the start of a journey, but it is fun being allowed to be along for the ride.

In two weeks time we travel on to India. I have been very involved in a rural health project there over the past two years. The period of evaluation of that project is now over and so now those of us who initiated the project (see reachvision.org if you want to know a bit more about this) are gathering with our Indian counterparts to discuss the next steps. But while there we meet with another group, this time called together by some of those most involved in the rapidly exploding house church movements across India. It may not be prudent to use names here, but the scale on which God is moving across India just staggers the imagination. We all know about the 3,000 who were baptized on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). But have you heard about the 300,000 who were baptized on the day of Pentecost 2009 in India as the result of one large network of house churches!

People are gathering from around 40 nations to explore together what is happening, and how we can help each other as these movements gather momentum around the world. Rapid growth is exciting, challenging, and potentially problematic. We are getting together to ask the Lord what is being done right, what is being done wrong, and how we can distinguish the difference! Please pray for us and the rest of the 200 coming together for this time.

Since Wolfgang's role in these movements was mentioned above, let me end this week's e-letter by linking you to a Barna Group article describing his new book, "The Housechurch Book."

Remember to pray for us,

Tony and Felicity and the H2H team.

Recent Stories:

Each week H2H publishes a story/article about simple church and/or living out our life in the Kingdom.  Recent stories include:

House2House Bookstore

The House2House bookstore is now using a fulfillment company - this means faster shipments, no down time during conferences, and the availability of UPS!

The Rabbit and The Elephant We match Amazon's Price!
By Tony & Felicity Dale and George Barna

Today’s Western culture is indifferent to church and Christians. Yet the early church existed in far harsher conditions—and it thrived. Much like a new litter of rabbits, the infant faith quickly grew and spread. And the result was a world transformed.

In The Rabbit and the Elephant, Tony and Felicity Dale (Simply Church) and George Barna (Revolution) say that the same thing is happening today. As Christians, we are the church - whether we meet in office buildings, college dorm rooms, coffee shops, factories, or homes - and the Holy Spirit uses us to expand that church to the far reaches of the globe. By practicing "simple church," we'll find that a small gathering of friends loving Jesus together and reaching out to the community around them can help us to be the church, the way God intended.

The rabbit and the elephant. Something small and something big. Find out what lessons they hold for you, for the body of Christ, and for the future of church as we know it.

From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God  
By Frank Viola

Deep within God's Word lies a wondrous story like no other. A drama that originated before time began. An epic saga that resonates with the heartbeat of God. A story that reveals nothing less than the meaning of life and God's great mission in the earth. From Eternity to Here presents three remarkable stories spanning Genesis to Revelation. Each story traces a divine theme that is woven throughout Scripture. Seen together, they offer an extraordinary glimpse into God’s highest passion and grand mission. What you discover will forever change your view of life, the church, and our magnificent God.

Organic Leadership
by Neil Cole

What are the weeds that hinder the natural growth of godly leadership? Are programs, people, and money truly the signs of a successful church? Where can you find an unlimited source of leaders? How do you mentor others so that they multiply? In Organic Leadership, Neil Cole asks these questions and more, boldly challenging many of the ideas about leadership and church life that we all take for granted.

View News Room's Profile Search for other posts by News Room

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version