Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

From Around GOD'S NETWORK - Reports & Missions
OpenHeaven.com Forum : From Around GOD'S NETWORK - Reports & Missions
Subject Topic: Doing the Work of an Evangelist - Larry R Taylor Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04/10/2009 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Doing the Work of an Evangelist

Larry R Taylor

The Work of an Evangelist

“Be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry”  2 Timothy 4:5  NKJV

Methodology and technique are not the Biblical emphasis in doing the work of an evangelist.  Or maybe I should say, current methodology and techniques don’t seem to follow the New Testament pattern.  There was, as a matter of fact, a methodology to how the early Church spread the gospel of the KIngdom, it is just radically different from the approach employed by most of the Church today.

The most obvious difference is that the early Church seemed to understand the command to “go”.  They didn’t wait for the multitudes to come to them, they went because they were sent (sorry about the rhyme).  The apostles took an aggressive approach the the task.  Philip, the first recorded evangelist, took the initiative and moved into what should have been hostile territory, Samaria.  The result was an outpouring of the Holy Spirit that brought rejoicing to the whole region.

The sharpest contrast between the early believers approach and many today is that they not only went with a message, they went with power.  Paul clearly said to the Corinthians that the demonstration of the power of the Holy Spirit that they experienced personally was to the be foundation of their faith.  

“And I brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God.  For II determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and HIm crucified.  I was with you in weakness and fear, and in much trembling.  And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.” 
1 Cor. 2:1-5 NKJV

There is a growing army of believers in the earth today who recognize that the “insurance sales” model of evangelism is ineffective.  It produces “converts” with a head knowledge or an emotional touch, but no true transformation.  As a matter of fact, I believe that the concern that many have for a lack of true “discipleship” is misplaced.  I don’t believe it is a lack of formal disciplship programs that account for the lack of maturity and growth in the Church.  I believe the real problem is that many converts are brought into church life without any personal encounter with Holy Spirit.  That encounter is where the hunger is imparted that compels the new believer to pursue Jesus with all their heart, with all their soul and with all their mind.  

Last week I received a greeting from my good friend Barry Manuel, Pastor of Morphett Vale Baptist Church in Adelaide.  Barry shared with me that the Church continues to see signs and wonders, specifically the appearance of the “glory dust”, as a tool for evangelism.  The Church sets up a tent at the annual New Age fair in the community and asks God to send the sign of the glory dust on unbelievers.  When the tangible manifestation of the glory of God appears,  Commonly, the result is  an instant openness to hear and receive the Gospel message. 

This week I am in Virginia with my buddy, Landon Spradlin.  Landon’s ministry includes both an established Church as well as his personal outreach to the blues community as a singer/songwriter/guitarist.  On Saturday night we were in a trendy downtown deli that features live music.  Landon and his band did two awesome sets of first rate blues.  Then for the last set he transitioned into several songs that overtly carried the gospel message.  As the anointing of the Holy Spirit fell on the place people were visibly moved. Landon and his daughters filled the room with the message of Jesus Christ.  The sound went out the open windows to the street below where a large vintage car rally was being held.  As they finished each song, the applause grew louder with shouts and raised hands in affirmation---not from Church people, but from the folks who just came in for the music, a beer and deli sandwich!

The work of an evangelist is a Holy Ghost enterprise from start to finish.  His anointing validates the message we bring.  The Spirit draws men to Christ.  As they are born of the Spirit, the transformational power of God is released that starts the new believer on the journey to maturity and fruitfulness and continues until the work is completed.

We are in the midst of a global harvest move of God.  God is pouring out signs, wonders and miracles.  Those who go in power are seeing results.  Some touch one or two, some hundreds and some thousands.  But without exception, those that are carrying this vision are going and they are going in power.  Not every encounter produces what we call a miracle, but the new birth, the greatest miracle, is the result of the anointed people of God proclaiming the gospel with boldness.

LARRY R TAYLOR"
Goinmin@sbcglobal.net
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version