Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

TOP NEWS - Worldwide Kingdom/Revival NEWS
OpenHeaven.com Forum : TOP NEWS - Worldwide Kingdom/Revival NEWS
Subject Topic: Robin Williams grew closer to God during rehab Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
News Room
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08/13/2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote News Room

Robin Williams grew closer to God during rehab

August 12, 2014

By Mark Ellis

Robin Williams

Robin Williams

As many were left reeling by the unexpected suicide of comedic genius Robin Williams, a few clues have emerged about a quiet, underlying faith that came to the surface during times of trial – most apparently after one of his stints in rehab.

Raised by an Episcopalian father and Christian Scientist mother, he publicly identified with the Episcopal Church, and offered the quip that being Episcopalian was essentially “Catholic lite: the same religion, half the guilt.”

In 2007, he spoke to journalist Kavita Daswani after emerging from a month in rehab for alcohol addiction. Their revealing interview was published by the South China Morning Post.

Williams had been sober for 20 years, but then found himself drinking again, and decided to take proactive measures to deal with it for his own well-being and the well-being of his family.

Daswani described his mood in the interview as “more somber” than usual, with his mind and heart refocused on rehab, God, religion and alcoholism.

“You get a real strong sense of God when you go through rehab,” he told Daswani. He said he came out of rehab a better man. “Having the idea of a really loving and forgiving God really helps if you’re an alcoholic – someone going, ‘It’s OK. Remember, there was wine at the Last Supper.”

Williams said religion was an integral part of his childhood. But having just gone through rehab, his relationship with God awakened beyond mere formalism.

“It’s become much more personal to me,” he said. “Instead of my mother saying, ‘We’re going to church now’, there’s much more a sense of [religion] coming back to life for me.”

Robin Williams’s father, a senior executive of the Ford Motor Company, moved the family to the San Francisco Bay area after his retirement. “As a child, I was heavily into religion. I was into the ritual of it. I grew up in San Francisco where the gospel music is so beautiful. I’m more religious in the sense of an open, compassionate church that’s there to take care of people with outreach programs and counseling. The idea of really working together, that means something. I’m religious on that level, trying to take care of everyone, and the idea of compassion is powerful to me,” he told Daswani.

He fell away from his faith during his battles with drugs and alcohol, which he compared to “one of the coming attractions of hell.”

“You have an idea there’s a dark force when you’re in that space, and it’s totally the opposite of doing the right thing.”

He told Daswani he believed in the afterlife – but couldn’t resist the urge to make a joke about it. “You talk to people who have had those experiences and it’s always a white tunnel and you realize, ‘What if it’s [New York’s] Holland Tunnel and you’re just going to Brooklyn?’”

On several occasions he described a spiritual battle for his soul, with voices from the demonic realm seeking his destruction.

“You’re standing at a precipice and you look down, there’s a voice and it’s a little quiet voice that goes, ‘Jump!’” he told ABC’s Diane Sawyer.

Sometimes the voices told him to do things that, as an addict, he knew were utterly senseless. “The same voice that goes, ‘Just one.’ … And the idea of just one for someone who has no tolerance for it, that’s not the possibility.”

All his humor about God, the Bible, and fundamentalists emerged from a restless soul, wrestling with his own personal demons, but the mainstream media devoted little attention to this side of his gifted and tumultuous life.

Source: Assist News Service

View News Room's Profile Search for other posts by News Room
News Room
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08/13/2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote News Room

Dr. Ted Baehr says that Robin Williams, who died on Monday, ‘accepted Jesus Christ in one of the recovery programs’
He added, ‘He was always searching and never quite finding’

By Dan Wooding
Founder of ASSIST Ministries

HOLLYWOOD, CA (ANS) -- Oscar winner, Robin Williams, who made America (and the world) both laugh and cry, with a remarkable range of performances, died at his Northern California home Monday.

Robin Williams

Williams, 63, apparently took his own life, law enforcement officials said.

“He has been battling severe depression of late,” his media representative Mara Buxbaum told CNN. “This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Coroner investigators suspect “the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia,” according to a statement from the Marin County, California, Sheriff's Office.

Williams married graphic designer Susan Schneider in Napa Valley, California, ceremony in October 2011.

“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken,” Schneider said.

“On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Dan Wooding interviews Dr. Ted Baehr at a Movieguide® event in Hollywood

Williams had his well-publicized troubles with depression, addiction, alcoholism and heart surgery in 2009, and one person who was able to talk with him on several occasions at press junkets for movies, was Dr. Ted Baehr, Movieguide® Publisher.

According to Dr. Baehr he shared Jesus Christ with Robin because "they both grew up with a few similar parental beliefs.”

Baehr then revealed that “Robin had, at one point, accepted Jesus Christ in one of the recovery programs, but he was always searching and never quite finding.”

He added, “He will be dearly missed by many and Movieguide® prays for his family and anyone else who struggles with drug addiction and depression.”

News Room
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08/13/2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote News Room

Nation Mourns Death of Comedic Actor Robin Williams

Video>

CBN News

America is mourning the death of actor and comedic genius Robin Williams. The Hollywood icon died in an apparent suicide Monday at his California home at the age of 63.

"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken," Williams' wife, Susan Schneider, said.

"On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions," she said.

Williams burst onto the scene in the late 1970s, playing an alien on the sitcom "Mork and Mindy."

He would go on to become an Oscar-winning actor that could make us all smile - and cry.

Licensed family therapist Dr. Linda Mintle shared her expertise about depression and what role it may have played in the death of Robin Williams. Click below for her comments.

< height=195 src="http://www.cbn.com/media/p/p.aspx?bcid=3726876302001&width=320&height=180" Border=0 width=335 scrolling=no>

Through the years Williams starred in countless hit films, like the now classic "Mrs. Doubtfire." Overnight Monday in San Francisco, fans laid flowers at the original home where the movie was shot.

Williams was perhaps known more for his comedic talents, with experts calling him a comic genius.

"Robin was one of the greatest comedians of all time," Jamie Masada, founder of The Laugh Factory, said.

But he was also known for his range and depth on stage and on screen, like in the movie "Good Will Hunting" where he won an Oscar for playing psychologist Sean Maguire.

Fans say he changed their lives.

"When I was 12 years old I saw 'Mrs. Doubtfire' for the first time and that range and his energy was just electric. And I said that's what I have to do for a living," one person said.

Another person said, "He made everyone laugh."

"One of the very best," one woman said.

"He brought so many smiles to so many people," said one fan.

"Everyone in America tonight feels like they just got punched in the stomach," comedian Paul Rodriguez said.

President Barack Obama described Williams as "one of a kind" and someone who "ended up touching every element in the human spirit."

In his personal life, Williams struggled with depression and substance abuse addiction and talked openly about it over the years. Just last month, he announced he was returning to a 12-step treatment program.

"When a person stops an addictive behavior and there are symptoms of traumatic stress, the risk of suicide increases significantly," Regent University counseling professor Sherry Todd told CBN News

Williams leaves behind his wife and three children - and something for the fans: four upcoming movies.

Source: CBN News

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version