Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

ARTICLES and Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : ARTICLES and Discussion
Subject Topic: DISCIPLING THE NATIONS, One person at a time - By Don Atkin Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01/08/2009 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

DISCIPLING THE NATIONS

One person at a time

By Don Atkin

“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”   - Jesus

INTRODUCTION

Evangelicalism has, at the same time, done a good and a bad thing. As with all “isms,” it has been taken beyond its intent, resulting in hurtful imbalance. There was a season when God breathed upon the church to burden her for the souls of mankind. The evangelical movement was born.

God never intended for the beginning to become the end. That is, there is more to our story than our initial commitment to Christ! What has been described as salvation is really only the beginning of salvation. New birth, spiritual rebirth, is the beginning of a process that is intended to bring us to maturity as sons of God.

Jesus commanded His disciples to make disciples of the nations, not merely lead people in a “salvation prayer.” The discipling of nations will eventually transform societies and cultures, to the end that our prayers will be answered: Your kingdom come, Your will be done in the earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:110). The prophetic proclamation will be realized:

The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever! – Revelation 11:15.

Through faith, repentance and baptism, the seed of sonship is activated, and the newly committed believer receives the promised Holy Spirit. This is the initial work of evangelism. This is the beginning. Paul, patiently coaching the Corinthians toward maturity, testified:

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things – I Corinthians 13:11.

How much more of Jesus could be seen ~ how much more would the glory of the Father be manifested ~ if more believers were to put away childish things!

“Boys will be boys.” Many boys simply grow into “good old boys.” I’ve heard it said, “You can tell the age of the boys by the price of their toys.” You can also tell a lot about their spiritual progress by the choices people make or fail to make.

Fleeing youthful lusts is much more than learning to rule our sexuality. Immature tastes, habits and bondages can include clothes, cars, sports, music, a myriad of opportunities for wrong choices. Much of America’s culture and economy are driven by boyhood games extending into manhood fame (played by boys in bodies of men). Not so in the culture of the kingdom.

We are called to right choices. Pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart (II Timothy 2:22). There are opportunities to “die to self daily” in the pursuit of godliness. Our bodies automatically grow, like weeds. But our speaking, understanding and thinking grow by design and discipleship. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2). 

Mature sons filling the earth with the glory of God is the eventual objective. The discipling process ~ the fulfilling of the Great Commission ~ connects point “A” with point “Z.” Progressing in our journey from “A” to “Z” is what this manual is all about. Its intention is to assist you in grasping and groping with your response to Jesus’ command to disciple the nations.

The life of mature sons (male and female) is in the seed of new birth. Progress is the result of the process of growth from faith to faith, from strength to strength, from glory to glory. The fruit of that seed in you provides the nurturing of that seed in others. The Great Commandment is fulfilled through obedience to the Great Commission.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. – John 13:34-35.

And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. – I John 3:23-24.

There are no shortcuts. Discipling the nations happens one person at a time!

Chapter One

MY TESTIMONY

Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses. – Psalm 25:12.

It was a Thursday early in 1963. I left work early and headed for the solace of a spot at the wooded riverfront. Wracked with guilt and fear, I was tormented by my self-made crisis. The shallow waters glistened in the sun as they rushed over the rocks on their way downstream. 

I cried aloud, “God, if You are for real, get me out of this mess and I will give You my life.”

He did. And, I did.

I entered into a continuing process of morphing that was immediately crammed with supernatural events. I had always believed Jesus to be the virgin-born Son of God who had died for my sins, was raised from the dead, and was Lord of all. 

But, not of me. Not my Lord!

Not on a practical or practicing level. I was my own man and in control of my life. I had simply lost control of my own circumstances through wrong choices. I found that I was not ten feet tall and bulletproof. I had played right into God’s hand, and placed myself in such vulnerability that God was the only and inevitable choice left to me. There were no other viable options.

I had worn out my keen interest in the world. I was the life of the party, into country club golf and an egocentric career. At the same time, I was immature and irresponsible, and neglecting my beautiful wife and wonderful children. There was no one else, and nowhere else to turn. 

As the warm noonday sun seemed to bring the river to life, the Spirit of the Eternal Son brought me to life. There were no flashing lights, audible voices or even chills ~ no special emotions ~ just a deep knowing in my “knower” that I had entered into a deal with God

How the details of my dilemma played out is not important. I’m sure that you have your own story. Let’s get to the point ~ my discipleship, and my subsequent life of discipling.

That same Thursday evening, a neighbor invited us to attend their church on the following Sunday. What a coincidence! Not! We had been neighbors for more than a year, and just now, he decides to invite us to church. God! (Now I’m getting chills.)

Sunday came with appropriate anticipation, and I was not disappointed. What was said that day made sense. It was contemporary and relevant. I stayed awake and engaged! I finally had found a church that was “with it.” No, I was finally “with it.” Of course, my wife and children were delighted when I suggested that we return that evening.

Monday came, and the flow continued. The minister showed up at our house! You talk about insecurity! Wow! He wasn’t there five minutes before he asked, “Do you play golf?”

What do I say? Do I lie to the minister? Or, do I spill the beans and tell him the truth?

I chose the riskier path of truth. With fear of rebuke and/or rejection, I stammered, “Yes.”

“Great! How ‘bout if we play together Wednesday afternoon?”

The golf course was always busy on Wednesday afternoons. Most offices and businesses closed at noon on Wednesdays in those days. We would hit our shots, and then wait. Hit our shots, and then wait. Hit our shots, and then wait.

For me, the waiting became more valued than the golf, because Ed filled the time with conversation about Christ and His kingdom. Week after week, I was blessed and built up by this godly man. He helped me to pick out a Bible, concordance, and other helpful study aids. He showed me how to use the concordance and guided me in my early studies, feeding my insatiable appetite for my newfound relationship with the Lord of my life.

It was a real blow when, in early 1965, we moved away because of an employment opportunity. The following year was very dry in many ways. The drought was broken when another move took us right into the path of Mac, who totally blew me away the moment I met him.

We were brand new in town, staying in a motel while we waited for our rental house to be ready for occupancy. That first evening found us attending a mission event at a local church. I thought that I would drop to my knees when I shook his vice-grip of a hand. If that were not enough, his eyes met mine and immediately traveled to the core of my being. Tender love carried spiritual authority to every place that I live! (This is a key to effective discipling!)

The very next morning, Mac was at the door of our motel. “Want to go ‘calling’ with me?” I didn’t know what that meant. Were we going to call hogs? Whatever ~ I wanted to go with him. I wanted to be with him. 

I noticed that he was wearing a sport coat and tie, and that his hair was all slicked back. I said, “Give me a couple of minutes.” Rummaging through our luggage, I found a sport coat and tie, slicked my hair back, and was ready to go “calling.” For four months, I followed Mac so closely that, if he had stopped fast, I would have broken my nose! 

You can imagine how devastated we were when Mac and Lou informed us that they were moving away.

God knows.

It was 1966. I was thirty-one-years old, three-years-old in my new life. I was highly motivated and totally committed to Christ and His kingdom. There was a leadership vacuum in our little church, and guess who was asked to fill the vacuum? Right. 

Elder? What is an “elder?” My early studies were confounding, because I found little in the church that resembled what I was seeing in Scripture. Thus began my lifelong search to know and understand church government. I’ve scrapped enough concepts to fill a large dumpster along the way.

By late in the year, I was arguing with God over my destiny. I said, “I have a wife and four children to feed.” He said, “Look at the birds.” I said, “I don’t know what I would say.” He said, “Open your mouth. I will fill it.” I said, “But, I am uneducated and untrained.” He said, “Read Acts 4:13.”

“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.”

The absolutely supernatural significance of that exchange still shakes me to my roots to this day. And, once again, I realize that I am rooted and grounded in the Rock of my salvation. I was genuinely emboldened by (1) knowing His voice, (2) hearing His calling, and (3) experiencing His assurance. 

I have been with Jesus. He continues to put words in my mouth, and give me what to say in that hour. There is no human explanation for the miraculous lives we have lived, the miracles we have seen, or the radical guidance we have walked out.

We have an anointing from the Holy One, and we know all things. The anointing which we have received from Him abides in us, and we do not need that anyone teach us, but as the same anointing teaches us concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught us, we will abide in Him. – I John 2:20, 27.

The Holy Spirit continues to lead us into all truth. He continues to prove that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work (II Timothy 3:16).

The Anointed One continues to speak to us personally, and through Scripture, numerous authors, many speakers, and a variety of people and circumstances. The world is alive with the sound of God’s voice for those who have ears to hear

Chapter Two

THE FINE ART OF OBEDIENCE

Ed and Mac were gone from our lives, but not from our hearts. We will always be grateful for the fathers, models, coaches and teachers whom our Father has given us. There is no substitute for seeing God in the flesh. That’s how God demonstrated His love for us. He still chooses to do so.

Seeing the power, authority, life and love of God operating in people among broken humanity sums up the gospel of the kingdom in undeniable ways. More is caught than taught. We can teach what we know, but we impart what we are.

I don’t know where the pulpit idea came from. I find little evidence to support special days, people and places in the New Testament. But, we are not hard-pressed to build a case for making disciples.

To obey is better than sacrifice. But, in the case of making disciples, to obey is a call to sacrifice, to lay down our lives for others. This call is not unique to only a few. The Great Commission extends to every believer. We are either being discipled by another or discipling others ~ or both at the same time.

We were sent out to carry the gospel of the kingdom in June1968. Souls were saved; churches and ministries were initiated. By 1975, I was under conviction about abandoning spiritual babies. “Get ‘em saved ‘n leave ‘em” is akin to abandoning babies in the delivery room! God was opening my understanding. It never was about adding dollars to the coffers and numbers to the role. It is not about nickels and noses! Like Paul, I needed to labor in childbirth until Christ is formed in men and women.

I had a brief encounter with Richard Halverson (then Chaplain of the U. S. Senate) two years earlier, asking him for any counsel that he might have for a young minister.

“Spend time with men,” four life-changing, direction-setting words. Then, he gave an explanation: “You will do more for women and children by helping men become good husbands and fathers, than by investing time in women and children. Spend time with men!” 

The seed had been germinating for two years. The seed was the “what.” Discipling is the “how.” 

Juan Carlos Ortiz had written a book, “The Disciple.” I read the book. Coincidently, (NOT!) he came to the area, spent some time with our fellowship, and even took a nap on our sofa. I caught what he had!

Since then, Barbara and I have focused upon making disciples of Jesus Christ across the nations and around the globe. Dozens and dozens are being fruitful and multiplying. Thousands of lives are being impacted.

We have taken people into our home for significant periods of time, that they might live the life with us. We had a young man from India, and a young man from Puerto Rico with us for one entire year. They shared a room and lived as our sons. We lived together, traveled together, prayed together, and played together. Both are now husbands and fathers. Surely, they learned something about marriage and family while with us.

They also learned about the ways of the kingdom, how to hear from God, and how to organize and present inspired words. A highlight for me came on a moonlit night in India. The young man from Puerto Rico was preaching in English (which he learned while living with us). And, the young man from India was translating the message into the local language. I just sat back and watched with satisfaction and thanksgiving as these sons in the faith demonstrated that they were equipped for works of service. 

The young man from Puerto Rico is now laying the foundation of Jesus Christ in Nicaragua, along with his Nicaraguan wife. They are bringing up their daughter in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. They are also discipling others, extending the kingdom in obedience to the Holy Spirit. 

We have many similar stories that reflect the fruitfulness of our obedience to the Great Commission. We spent some months in India, averaging ten people at our table, three times a day. We had leased a large home to facilitate live-in disciples. The kingdom is still being demonstrated and preached through sons and daughters with whom we continue to relate.

Samuel said, “Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice.” Obedience often involves sacrifice. To share your home, to share your time, to share your material goods, to share your family ~ can and does bring sacrifice into the substance of obedience.

Sacrifice, however, is no substitute for obedience. Samuel continues: Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Rejecting the word of the Lord cost Saul his throne (I Samuel 15).

The gospel is to be obeyed. Obedience must be learned. As a child, Jesus was subject to Joseph and Mary. He increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men (Luke 2:52). Father made the captain of our salvation perfect through sufferings. Jesus learned obedience by the things which He suffered (Hebrews 2:10; 5:8).

There is normally an element of suffering in the chastening of a father. No chastening seems joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what was lame may not be dislocated, but rather healed (Hebrews 12:11-13).

Perhaps you have heard a father say, “This is going to hurt me more than you.” There is more truth than poetry here. Discipline must be embraced and maintained by the mentor if he/she is to faithfully discharge the responsibility owed the disciple. Suffering is a normal part of the process for both the mentor and the disciple. Frustration and discouragement are frequent companions of progress and maturation. Love covers (I Peter 4:8).

How, then, do we know what to do and when to do it, so that we (as mentors) are not guilty of lording it over God’s heritage?   Let’s consider the example of the potter, the potter’s wheel, and the lump of clay. In this biblical illustration (Jeremiah 18:1-4), the potter is God, the wheel represents life’s experiences, and the lump of clay represents the disciple. Father disciplines His sons whom He loves. He molds them in His image and likeness with great skill and patience. He often involves people in the process. 

As we undertake our obedience to the Great Commission to disciple the nations, we must see ourselves as one of the potter’s hands. The other hand is the Holy Spirit. We are the hand on the outside of the clay; He is the hand on the inside. We work in complete submission and harmony with the Hand on the inside of the disciple. We do not initiate; we follow the direction of the Potter. God does not work on every level at the same time. To do so could bewilder, even overwhelm the disciple. It is vital that we work on what God is working on. It is the coordinated working of both hands that molds God’s people into all that He has for them.

We do not choose or create the circumstances in an individual’s life. We pray and obey, all of the time pointing people to the Father through Jesus Christ. The anointing breaks the yokes of bondage off of people, bringing them into the glorious liberty of the sons of God.

I am very thankful for the two men who were given to me as God’s hands on the outside. I acknowledge that the Hand on the inside, the Holy Spirit, will lead me into all truth. Yet, I wonder sometimes if I might have been spared some hard lessons by learning from the example and counsel of others rather than by my own experience. 

I wonder why I never heard anyone in my early church experience mention this significant Commission. I wonder why there was never any visible strategy to obey in practical ways.

The commandment is quite clear. We are to disciple the nations. Paul went into Ephesus and found some disciples. The men were about twelve in all. We have both the commandment of Jesus and the precedent of Paul’s faithful obedience. 

We also have the Model.

Chapter Three

JESUS’ EXAMPLE

Everything about Jesus’ earthly ministry demonstrates something of value for the many sons whom God is bringing to glory (Hebrews 2:10). 

What He began both to do and teach (Acts 1:1), He continues both to do and teach through His present-day body. It is the “doing” that validates and gives authority to the “teaching.” Actions speak louder than words. The kingdom is to be demonstrated, then proclaimed. Our proclamation, “this is that,” is an explanation of kingdom realities.

Kingdom realities are revealed through interconnected and interrelated lives (His life within us, and our lives with one another), so that others may see and bear witness for themselves. Few are crying out for more preaching. However, there is a great hunger for the manifestation of the glory of God. The anxious longing of creation cries out for the manifestation of the sons of God (Romans 8:19). 

The religion of the unformed is shrouded in mystery. Jesus took away the mystical superstitions about the glory of God, and replaced them with practical revelation: He who has seen Me, has seen the Father (John 14:9). Discipling lifts the glory from the realm of mystery into practical and functional reality. Those who show Him forth, put Him on display before the world, are glorifying Him. We are to be a city set upon a hill. We are to let our lights so shine among men, that they may (also) glorify (show forth) our Father (Matthew 5:14-16).

Jesus prayed to the Father, The glory which You gave Me, I have given them, that they may be one just as we are one. He was praying for those whom the Father had given Him. He had invested His life, time and energy in discipling them, and sent them into the world. He was also praying for those who will believe in Me through their word (John 17)His objective was the multiplication of God’s glory through many sons.

The life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us – that which we have seen and heard (that which was done and taught) we declare unto you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. – I John 1:2-3.

Three years in an intensive and personal discipling relationship equipped these saints for the work of their ministry. David Shirkey explains that there are three unique ingredients in discipling:

Teaching increases knowledge                Teaching focuses on content
Training increases skill                             Training focuses on the job
 Equipping increases capacity                 Equipping focuses on the person

There is much teaching, little training, and practically no equipping going on in today’s church. Thus, the masses have little capacity for things pertaining to the kingdom. The hallmark of Jesus’ discipling example was His personal investment in twelve men whom the Father had given to Him.

He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. Then He appointed twelve, that (1) they might be with Him and that (2) He might send them out to (a) preach, (b) heal, and (c) cast out demons. – Mark 3:13-15.

Remember, when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus (Acts 4:13)No “sheepskins” on the wall, they had been personally and relationally discipled by the man, Jesus.

1.He prayed all night (Luke 6:12-13), because He only did what He saw His Father doing (John 5:19). He didn’t want to independently choose His disciples. Who knows how many names came up that night as He and His Father discussed who should be the benefactors of His immediate life and attention?

2. He called and appointed them, that they might be with Him. There was an immediacy and unreserved commitment in their response. The twelve had their hands in the miracles of multiplying loaves and fishes. The three went up on the Mount of Transfiguration with Him. The one rested his head on the Master’s breast. Preaching, healing and casting out demons were “no brainers” for those who had spent three years observing and participating in His life’s flow and then received His Spirit life, power from on high.

3. He sent them on specific missions to specific people and places for specific purposes (Matthew 10:5-8). They reported back, and He was able to coach and adjust them, connecting their experience with Scripture and correcting their conclusion to the right priorities (Luke 9:2; 10:17-20).

4. He graduated themNo longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you (John 15:15-16).

The personal discipling process had prepared them for works of service which would be born out of intimacy between Father and sons, and which would produce abiding fruit.

Praying, sharing with the Father, He said: “While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept.” After many other words, He asked, “I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one (John 17).”

All discipling relationships are for a season. Sons belong to the Father. Sons are employed by the Father in the process of bringing many sons to glory. “The glory which You gave Me I have given them.” 

As our lives come under Jesus’ lordship through the molding of the hands on the outside and the Hand on the inside, we decrease and He increases. We begin to reveal Christ in us, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). We begin to glorify Him. We are now ready to give away the glory that we have received! 

Meetings and events will never substitute for the clear Commission and example of our Lord Jesus. The avenue to glorifying God in our bodies takes us through “Christianity 101,” basic personal discipling relationships that are arranged by God Himself.

Chapter Four

PERSONAL DISCIPLINES

Ed met a huge need in the earliest days of my walk in Christ. I respected him, and I knew that he loved me. Accountability was sort of automatic. We didn’t talk about it. It just happened as I responded to his attention, affection.

He cared about me, and was personally committed to my life and growth as a believer. He demonstrated what Paul wrote,

We were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children. So affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you had become dear to us. – I Thessalonians 2:7-8.

There was so much that reflected the kind of relationship that Jesus had with the twelve, and that Paul had with Timothy, Titus, the twelve in Ephesus, and others. Ed was the mighty hand of God on the outside of this lump of clay, working in concert with the Holy Spirit within. (See Jeremiah 18:1-4.) Back to Paul:

You know how we exhorted, and comforted, and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children, that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory. – Verses 11-12.

We never talked about him being a father, or I being a son. But, it happened. I became increasingly motivated in my Christian walk through Ed’s exhortations. I grew more and more secure in my newfound identity as Ed continued to comfort me. And, a longing to fulfill my destiny was the result of his charges and challenges.

I wish that he could see me now! But, it doesn’t always work that way. He did his job. Subsequently, it became my job to provide the basics for others ~ motivation, security and vision for destiny, through my exhorting, comforting and charging them.

Personal Spiritual Disciplines
Bible Reading
Bible Study
Bible Meditation
Prayer
Fellowship
Testimony
Cross

Ed taught me the difference between Bible reading, study and meditation, and got me started in these personal disciplines. He encouraged me to pray. More important than any instruction was listening to him as he prayed with me and for me. I was able to grasp how we are to talk with and listen to our Father, that prayer is not something that we say. It is a way of life ~ like breathing. His example was my greatest teacher.

We should not assume that everyone automatically knows how to pray, how to study and meditate, how to use a concordance and other study aids, how to select reading materials. We should not assume that everyone automatically understands the significant role his obedient walk will serve in his growing faith.

Relational fellowship is another significant discipline ~ not forsaking assembling together with others (Hebrews 10:24-25). I stress the word relational because fellowship is often mistaken as attending some event or function. We can be isolated and alone in the midst of a crowd. It happens all the time. Gathering does not necessarily translate into assembling. Disciples of Christ are to be assembled, joined together in commonality, in communion, with one another (Ephesians 4:16). 

There is to be a functional place for every believer. Our individual testimony is a means of leading others to faith in Christ, to encouraging and building up fellow believers, and to personally overcoming the powers of darkness that try to rob, kill and destroy us (Revelation 12:11; John 10:10). Disciples should be regularly encouraged to look for God-given opportunities to testify of their faith and the fruits of their faith.

Mentors can greatly assist disciples to put their experiences into the context of life in Christ. We all can help one another embrace the cross in our daily lives. Repentance and death to self are parts of the way of life prescribed for the followers of Christ. As followers of the Way, we often need reminded. We can be overwhelmed and overcome by our circumstances. Thankfully, Jesus has not left us alone. He has come to us as the Helper. And He manifests to us in the lives of others ~ especially those who are mentoring us.

Disciplines of the Human Spirit

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city. – Proverbs 16:32.

The ambitions of youth tempt us to become mighty and to rule cities and nations. After all, didn’t Jesus say that the violent take the kingdom of heaven by force

Context reveals the timetable of Jesus’ statement: From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence. He had already observed the greatness of John among those born of women, but pointed out that he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he (read Matthew 11:11-12). 

You have heard it said ~~~ But I say to you ~~~

Jesus’ entire Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) is intended to reveal His higher thoughts and ways (Isaiah 55:8-10) to us. Yes, ruling cities and nations ~ extending His kingdom to include and bless every geo-political sphere in the earth ~ is in the Plan. All of creation groans in its subjection to corruption, crying out for the manifestation of the sons of God (Romans 8:19-22). We must learn and embrace heaven’s form of government.

The church is yet hidden, obscured by our own humanity. Uncontrolled anger can conceal the kingdom that is emerging within us and among us. Human might leans against the release of the Spirit. Old ways contradict our new testimony.

The government of God begins within the human spirit through marriage with the Holy Spirit. We are to submit to our Husband with all due respect, and allow His love to so permeate our beings that others may see His authority. Cities and nations will bow to Him as people behold His love, grace, patience and mercy manifested in His sons.

Many years ago, I participated in a weekly meeting of shepherds. I always had something to say. I always had an answer. The Husbandman, wanting to prune me of arrogance so that I could bear more fruit (John 15:1-8) through graceful humility (James 4:5-6). He lovingly told me to remain silent throughout four weekly meetings.

Several minutes into the first meeting, I spontaneously responded to a question about where to find a Scripture. I missed it by one chapter. “Humble pie.”   Unknown to anyone else, I was dying inside. (This is good!) I asked Father for forgiveness. “No problem! Your four weeks can begin next week!” It took about nine weeks to finally complete that heavenly assignment. This was my introduction to ruling my own spirit.

Disciplines of the Soul

It is impossible to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (II Corinthians 10:5) until Jesus becomes Head of our human spirits (in practical reality). We are likely to be tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine (Ephesians 4:14). That’s what the carnal do until they mature into the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:14 – 3:3).

The lack of practical disciplines often makes room for mystical heresies. Desire for experiential spirituality can open the door for deceiving spirits. Unbiblical doctrines and practices that subtly appeal to our sensitivities can cause us to violate boundaries that are yet to be discovered.

Not only do we have this treasure in earthen vessels (II Corinthians 4:7), but also we have this new life in an old soul! Our mind, emotions and will have been trained at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:9). We may try to choose the “good” fruit, not the evil fruit. But, there are many who have never eaten from the tree of life, who are better at “good” than most of us. Being “good” just doesn’t cut it, doesn’t get the job done.

We are not changed by behavior modification; we are transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2)! Christ in us is the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). We are to learn Christ (not just learn about Him). Disciples are learners. Mentors help us to find Him within, and align our conduct with Him. Those who have learned Christ,

If indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus; that you put off concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. – Ephesians 4:21-24.

How do we proceed? Where do we begin? 

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God – Romans 12:1-2.

Disciplines of the Body of Flesh

I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. – I Corinthians 9:27.

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. – I Corinthians 6:12.

I am minus forty pounds from a few years ago! This is not the fruit of diet, fasting, or will power. It is the fruit of faith, relinquishment and grace. No bragging rights. Testimony! God gave me two words. I heard them in my spirit, and they produced faith (Romans 10:17). The two words: choices and portions. He has given me the grace to make right choices and limit my portions.

Sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God (verse 11), we are empowered to glorify God in our body (verse 20).

Lust of the flesh was provoked in Eve’s Garden temptation. She saw that the tree (the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) was good for food (Genesis 3:6). John wrote, the lust of the flesh – is not of the Father but is of the world (I John 2:16).

Jesus, after forty days of fasting, was hungry. (That’s an understatement!) The devil subtly suggested that he command this stone to become bread (Luke 4:3). Jesus responded, It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God (verse 4).”

Many of us have only experienced “habit hunger,” normally at 8 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. We don’t know true hunger, the kind that hits after 21-40 days of water-only fasting. But, there are other “hungers” that are common to man. Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. (I Corinthians 6:18).

The anecdotes for the lust of the flesh in any form are the mercy and grace of God

Jesus overcame the devil. He abides in us, and is a High Priest who can sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need (Hebrews 4:15-16).

(1)   Our spirits filled with and under the discipline of the Holy Spirit,
(2)   our minds renewed in spirit, and
(3)   our bodies brought into subjection,
(4)   help to prepare us to glorify God in the earth in ever increasing ways.

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. – I Thessalonians 5:23-24.

Chapter Five

FAMILY DISCIPLINES

God established the priority of “family” in the Garden of Eden. “Family” is foundational to understanding and functioning in the family of God, the church of Jesus Christ. There are two metaphors that reference family relationships, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives.

The first prepares us to be sons of our Father who is in heaven. Scripture prescribes high priorities for both children and fathers:

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with a promise: “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”

And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord. – Ephesians 6:1-4.

Furthermore, Scripture defines a significant, family-related principle in recognizing overseers in our midst:

(A bishop must be) one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?) – I Timothy 3:4-5.

We can see an important parallel between fathers in families and elders in the church. Both are to train and admonish in ways that glorify the Lord, and do not provoke children to wrath. Angry adults are usually the products of either abusive or absentee fathers in either or both home and church experiences. Righteous fathering develops motivated and secure children who have a sense of their own destiny in the kingdom.

Jesus taught us to pray, “Our Father,” not “Our General.”

Those who disciple others should be such fathers and overseers. These are functions, not merely positions of appointment. Form follows function. Authority is in the function, not the form. Reverence and respect are earned by function, not because of form.

I stated in my testimony that Mac radiated tender love that carried spiritual authority to every place that I live! He became a spiritual father to me. He did not order me around or lord it over me like the Gentiles. But, what he said, I did. I trusted and wanted to obey him. I was ready and willing to be a disciple of Jesus. And, this was the man through whom Jesus was living for me in those days. I am sure that we both recognized this, though we didn’t talk about methodology or position. We just lived life together – much like Jesus did with His disciples.

Isaiah caught a glimpse of the significance of Jesus’ fatherhood. He wrote:

For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. – Isaiah 9:6-7.

The Lord of hosts continues to be zealous toward us, and continues to father us through others until we have seen the Father for ourselves. We grow in peace as we embrace His government in increasing dimensions. This is the outworking of grace that comes by the outpouring of His disciplining love through His sons.

Our daughters had been trained to come directly home from school unless permission had been granted for them to go somewhere else. One was late ~ ten, fifteen, twenty minutes. We were increasingly alarmed by this unusual development. I drove the few blocks between home and school, and did not find her. Anxiety gripped me. I prayed. A still small voice spoke to my heart as I returned home. “Check Johnson Street” which parallels the normal route to and from the middle school. There she was, talking with a boy!

He saw me, and took off. My daughter came to the car, explaining that she was telling him about Jesus, that this might be his day of salvation. I said, “Get in the car!” She pleaded her case, explaining her “mission,” all the way back to the house.

As we got out of the car, I said, “Go to your room!” ( I have now said a total of eight words ~ “Get in the car!” and “Go to your room!”) She hurried off to her room, and I walked off my anger. I had learned to not discipline in anger.

I grabbed the paddle from atop the refrigerator. We had written on it, “I need thee every hour.” Slipping it into my back pocket, I went to her room. She was no longer pleading her case, but was agreeing that she had broken the rules. She had options. She could have brought the boy to our home. 

She asked me to forgive her. I did. We knelt together by the bed as she asked God to forgive her. He did. Then, I had her lie face down on the bed, and I administrated the rod of correction (Proverbs 13:24), the “board of education,” in paddle form.

She turned over, pulled me down on top of her, and we hugged and cried together. Sometime later, a Sunday school teacher asked the young people if there was a special time in their memory when they knew for sure that their dad loved them. She shared this experience!

Children grow up as sons to become fathers, to raise other children to be His sons! Thus, the Great Commission will be fulfilled and the nations discipled. God is bringing many sons to glory, and will fill the earth with His government and glory through us.

The second divine metaphor is “husband and wife,” providing a picture of the corporate body. We, together, are the bride of Christ. Husbands represent Christ and wives represent the church in very practical, demonstrative ways. 

Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the church, and wives are to respect their husbands. Neither of these roles comes automatically. Many failed marriages could have been redeemed with proper coaching and nourishing through God-ordained relationships.

We do not automatically know how to fulfill these functions within the marital relationship. Our society lacks role models. There is a great need for proactive and strategic discipling in both marriage and family.

How do husbands love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church (Ephesians 5:25)? How do we dwell with them with understanding (I Peter 3:7)? How do we do that?

How do wives be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives (I Peter 3:1)? How do they do that?

There are lots of good books that are worth reading. God can speak to us through books. Of course, Scripture is at the top of the list. But, if books could get it done, then Jesus would have commanded us to pass out books rather than disciple the nations!

There is no substitute for godly men and women sharing their lives with others, coaching them out of their own experience, and praying for them with the authority that comes only from living. Learning to connect with the wisdom of God through the power of the Holy Spirit is greatly aided by able mentors. (Men disciple men; women disciple women; couples disciple couples.)

Even as the Spirit of God sets the stage and creates the atmosphere for Father God to be rightly honored in His house (of living stones), so the wives establish the atmosphere of our earthly homes. The disintegration of family values has diminished the role of homemaker in today’s culture. But, the emergence of kingdom culture includes the reestablishing of this very special anointing.

The woman is the glory of the man (I Corinthians 11:7). Wives can make their husbands look good or look bad. A man can undergird or undermine the authority of his woman. When leaving our home, I would instruct our children: “Your mother is in charge. I will ask her for a report when I return, and you will be dealing with me.” 

Jesus establishes, appoints, delegates, oversees and undergirds His authority in His bride, the church. Nevertheless, the church is at best our mother (Galatians 4:26; Revelation 21:2) and can never take the place of our Father (Matthew 6:9).

The final word that we have on Jesus’ childhood was when He was twelve years old, and highlights family disciplines. We are told that He was subject to them (Joseph and Mary). And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men (Luke 2:51-52). The very next verse sets the stage for John the Baptist and Jesus’ baptism at age thirty, eighteen years later.

Chapter Six

SOCIAL DISCIPLINES

The purpose of discipling the nations is to extend the kingdom of God through the testimony and teaching of one person to another, until all of the earth is filled with the glory of God. It is the glory of God that will produce His divine order in every place.

Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation. We are ambassadors for Christ. – II Corinthians 5:18, 20a.

For many, the theological truths are easier to grasp than the practical applications are to deliver. Historically, ministry has focused upon the theology, but neglected the social implications. We need to become students of sociology, not only students of theology.

We must know and understand people as well as we know and understand God. That may sound strange to some. But, I have met so many people who truly know and love the Father through the Son by the Spirit, but are bumbling failures at relating to people and communicating their faith.

Fear of rejection paralyzes many. Discipling can help them to learn how to overcome this fear through faith, and learning to embrace the cross as a practical manner of dying to self every day. Like so many other issues, this requires the constant and patient love of a more mature person who is willing to walk at the side of the disciple.

Lack of love keeps some from sharing their faith. The wellspring of unconditional agape is released by brotherly kindness, affection and caring, in such a way that it connects a believer to another person and facilitates witness and/or fellowship. 

Christ in us, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27), is the theological basis for the release of love. God is love (I John 4:8). The fruit of the Spirit is love (Galatians 5:22). Nothing to do, just let Him have His way in us ~ through us ~ because we let Him have His way with us. We are branches. Jesus is the Vine (John 15). Life flows through our connectedness with Him and others. We are the conduits.

We cannot always blame the rejection we experience upon our prophetic gifts. Perhaps we are lacking in social graces. Socially inept Christians are very likely to put their spiritual foot in their mouths!

Jesus was prophetic. He increased in favor with God and men (Luke 2:52). The early church was prophetic. They were praising God (theological) and having favor with all the people (sociological). And the Lord added to the church daily (Acts 2:47). 

Speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15) does not always involve a warm, fuzzy feeling. It often does not. Speaking the truth in love is a fruit of maturation. It is a learned ability, a developed skill, and a result of the discipling process. Even mature believers must seek wisdom in each situation:

Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. – Colossians 4:5-6.

There are times when we will indeed be rejected. Jesus said, “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you (John 15:18). We are in good company. Surely this kind of reaction may also at times be experienced from the uncrucified flesh of believers.

However, Jesus prefaced this prophetic warning about the world’s hatred of Him:

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. These things I command you, that you love one another. – John 15:16-17.

We should always, in all circumstances and situations, ask for wisdom, so that our testimony and teaching have the best chance of being received. After all, we are to be judged by our fruit. 

The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. – James 3:17-18.

A man cannot effectively share the word of God until he knows the heart of God. He is also to be conformed to the image of God, and be disciplined to rightly communicate without distracting personal habits and hang-ups.

Social disciplines are basic and foundational to all of life as it is lived among others. Faithful mentors can help disciples in areas of

Personal hygiene
Personal grooming
Manners
Posture
Body English.

Allowing personal appearance, habits and/or behavior to communicate ignorance, insecurity or sloth, can greatly diminish the potential of God’s servant-son. We have this treasure in earthen vessels (II Corinthians 4:7), and should make every effort to not distract from glorifying Him.

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. – I John 3:2-3.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation (anxious longing) of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing (manifestation) of the sons of God. – Romans 8:18-19.

No issue is too small to address (in cooperation with the Holy Spirit, of course). Our effectual service as ambassadors for Christ is on the line. Why allow the lack of social graces to diminish our potential? These graces are most often released through discipline. Mentors can help us to see what we otherwise might not see about ourselves.

I remember Mac instructing me to stand up on both feet, explaining that rocking from one foot to the other caused the shoulders to dip. This is a distraction. Clothing that draws attention is also to be avoided. Attire should be in keeping with local custom and honor the situation. 

Mac said, “Don’t put your hands in your pocket! Don’t wring your hands in front of you! Don’t lock them behind your back!” I responded, “What shall I do with them?” “Let them hang where God put them, on the ends of your arms,” he said.

People should not remember us for how we appear or conduct ourselves. They should remember the Lover of their souls who is eager to be seen within us.

I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate (disciplined) in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.

Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. – I Corinthians 9:22b, 24-27.

Chapter 7

FISCAL DISCIPLINES

Faith is the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8). Faithfulness can be a learned discipline.

He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. Therefore if you have not been faithful in unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own? – Luke 16:10-12.

Many genuinely born again believers disqualify themselves from spiritual advancement by how they handle money and material goods. Neither flagrant materialism nor greedy stinginess aligns us for faithfully stewarding spiritual riches. Paul made this clear in his exhortation to Timothy:

And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. – II Timothy 2:2.

Paul did not say, educated men, rich men, gifted men, or experienced men. He said, faithful men. God can educate us, make us rich, give us gifts, and guide us toward experience. But, faithfulness is a choice ~ and a discipline.

Unfaithful men and women (even though born again) are unable to teach others. They are yet consumers, not yet stewards. They eat all of the “seed.”

He who supplies (1) seed to the sower, and (2) bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness, while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God. – II Corinthians 9:10-11.

Most believers in the West continue to live as consumers, either preserving their present standard of living or climbing the social ladder with the help of consumer credit. Others have discovered “the eighth wonder of the world” ~ compound interest ~ and continue to amass targets for moths, rust and thieves (Matthew 6:19-21).

The first century followers of Jesus apparently did not try to mix materialistic consumerism with their newfound faith. The record would indicate that they laid up treasure above as stewards by investing in one another.

Great grace was upon them all. Nor was there anyone among them who lacked. – Acts 4:33b-34a.

So-called “full time ministers” (all Christians are in the ministry full time) are among those who lack the most in our day. This is usually the result of religious concepts that have infiltrated our world of faith. On the one extreme, we have those who rid themselves of all material possessions and vow to not work a job, believing that they are to live by faith. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who believe that they are worthy of double honor, holding forth that they are kings who deserve the tithing tax, plus love offerings, honorariums, etc. Among this group is a new excessive doctrine that, through the transfer and distribution of wealth, apostles are to be millionaires. 

All of these have selected proof texts to support their claims. Neither rightly expresses the heart of God as demonstrated in the lifestyle of Jesus and the early apostles. 

Paul was a tentmaker (Acts 18:3). Paul was very careful to not abuse His authority in the gospel, choosing to present the gospel of Christ without charge (I Corinthians 9:18). He understood the preaching of the gospel of Christ to be a significant part of his life as a steward.

For you remember, brethren, our labor and toil, for laboring night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, we preached to you the gospel of God. You are our witnesses, and God also, how devoutly and justly and blamelessly we behaved ourselves among you who believe; as you know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father does his own children, that you should walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory. – I Thessalonians 2:9-12.

Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. – I Corinthians 4:1-2.

For a bishop (overseer; elder) must be blameless, as a steward of God. – Titus 1:7a.

Peter exhorts: As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. – I Peter 4:10-11.

In His parable about a certain rich man’s steward, Jesus said: Give an account of your stewardship (Luke 16:1-13) summarizing,

No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. – Verse 13.

Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. – I Timothy 6:6-11.

There is much more to stewardship than money. However, if this issue is not settled in one’s heart, he will not be totally free to steward anything. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Matthew 6:21).

Do not love the world, or the things of the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. – I John 2:15.

Luke outlined categorical principles of stewardship in chapter 16, verses 10-12:

1.     He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.
2.     Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
3.     And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

There is no other evil taskmaster quite so powerful; no other area where developing faithfulness is a greater challenge. The lust of the flesh (passions), the lust of the eye (possessions), and the boastful pride of life (position) are the regions of mammon’s influence and power. Consumers are disciples of mammon.

Breaking the consumer cycle, and embracing the responsibilities of stewardship require learning that is most effectual under the guiding hand of equipping ministries. Fiscal disciplines are best developed under the watchful and caring oversight of one who is walking in victory as a steward. Accountability is required of stewards. 

A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. – Matthew 10:24-25a.

Moving from materialistic consumerism to obedient stewardship begins with a decision and commitment, followed by an attitude that accompanies faith. Only God can deliver us from the weaknesses of our own flesh. It is a process that will take time before fruit is enjoyed. Paul learned in whatever state, to be content:

I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound . . . to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:11-13.

Conclusion

MINISTRY DISCIPLINES

Ministry is the privilege and responsibility of all disciples of Jesus Christ. The elevation of a “special class” called “clergy” is a throw back to Old Covenant days and an entrenched doctrine of demons that prevents the church from fulfilling her purpose in the earth. 

While well-meaning and dedicated people administrate many good things, the life of Christ is stunted and the Spirit of Christ is quenched by religious systems that do not give priority to the Great Commission. This is about bringing every believer to increasing levels of spiritual maturity, personal victory, and corporate involvement in the body of Christ.

Mundane tasks that serve religious programs are not to be confused with the ministry of Christ operating through individuals. We are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10). These are not works of institutional maintenance, but are individually unique and are to fit into the corporate expression of Christ within the community.

The manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all. – I Corinthians 12:7.

Speaking the truth in love, (we) may grow up in all things into Him who is the head – Christ – from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. – Ephesians 4:15-16.

The process that is illustrated in the letter to the church in Ephesus began when Paul arrived and found some disciples – about twelve (Acts 19:1, 7). The fruit of the process encompassed:

1. Every part supplying
  2. Every part effectively working
  3. Every part doing its share

What a bittersweet experience it must have been for Paul when he met with the elders from Ephesus some years later. We can ponder the depth of their relationships as we observe them together:

He knelt down and prayed with them all. Then they all wept freely, and fell on Paul’s neck and kissed him, sorrowing most of all for the words which he spoke, that they would see his face no more. – Acts 20:37-38.

He had carried them in his heart all the way from their baptism through the process of maturation. Patiently working alongside the Holy Spirit in their lives, he helped them discover their gifts, learn how to be led by the Spirit, and to move in their anointing. Those with whom he met in Miletus had become elders. They had progressed in service (ministry) through the discipling process. 

They, along with others, quickly became fruitful through Paul’s personal, hands-on ministry, the same method that Jesus both exemplified and commissioned throughout His earthly ministry.
Over the period of two years, all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus (Acts 19:10). The exponential multiplication of ministry came as a result of personal discipleship, not through years of study or through humanly devised programs.

In Paul’s first letter to the church in Corinth, he acknowledged both the carnality and the giftedness of the believers. He did not try to control or hold back what God was releasing in and through the people. His role was to bring order to what God was doing.

The boldness of Peter and John (uneducated and untrained men – see Acts 4:13) did not come from books, but came from the life of Christ within them. He is everyone’s hope of glory (Colossians 1:27).

Newborn Christians receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon them (Acts 1:8). The promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call (Acts 2:39).

Our heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13). I asked on a Thursday evening. I led a family of four to Christ the next day, baptizing them within the hour. I didn’t yet know if Acts was in the Old or New Testament. I did believe that the Holy Spirit would teach me what to say at any moment, in any given situation.

Passionate for the souls of men, women and children, I poured out my life in evangelism. More than one thousand people were baptized (at all hours of the day and night) during the next five years. Then I began to understand and embrace the deeper significance of discipling the nations, and moved from additions to multiplication.

We have been in the ministry from the beginning of our walk. So it is to be. So it must be for the church to fulfill her mandate (Genesis 1:28):

Then God blessed them, and God said to them,
  1. Be fruitful
  2. Multiply
  3. Fill the earth
  4. Subdue it
  5. Have dominion

Ministry was never intended to be the work of a select few. Ministry is to be the lifestyle of all believers. Ministry is the releasing of endowed grace at the direction of the abiding Spirit..

Ministry is our response to His prompting while trusting in His enabling

Learning how to hear, trust and obey has its best chance at the feet of others who have been there, done that. Here is an example of the heart’s cry for people to embrace the process from a friend who focuses upon discipling young people:

“I long for new beginnings in the lives of others. Not every life gets transformed.  I have witnessed far too many casualties; people with the promise of renovation, the means of renovation, even a couple of attempts at it, but in the end they adopted the behavior and customs of the culture and there were no spectacular results to celebrate.”

I ask the Father to multiply father (and mother) hearts throughout the earth.

This writing is meant to shed light on a process. The Holy Spirit must guide the process. May He guide you into relationships that will facilitate obedience to the Great Commission. You may need to be discipled. Or, you may need to be discipling others. Perhaps both are in order.

Hear, trust and obey.

"You can be confident of Father's leading when your love is as big as your truth."

Don Atkin
DonAtkin@Kingdomquest.Net
www.DonAtkin.com
www.Kingdomquest.Net

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 01/08/2009 at 12:04pm
View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version