Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

ARTICLES and Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : ARTICLES and Discussion
Subject Topic: Diotrephes: “Fond of Being First” - Stephen Crosby Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/08/2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Diotrephes: “Fond of Being First”
by Stephen Crosby

Sometimes nuggets are tucked away in the more obscure nooks of Scripture. In this issue, I would like to poke around in one of those corners for a few contemporary applications.

(3Jn 1:9-10 NKJV) I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loves to have the preeminence among them, does not receive us. Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he does, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither does he himself receive the brethren, and forbids them that would, and casts them out of the church.

(3Jn 1:9-10 The Message) Earlier I wrote something along this line to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves being in charge, denigrates my counsel. If I come, you can be sure I'll hold him to account for spreading vicious rumors about us. As if that weren't bad enough, he not only refuses hospitality to traveling Christians but tries to stop others from welcoming them. Worse yet, instead of inviting them in he throws them out.

Romantic Idealism

Opinion varies regarding the precise date of 3John, but it is definitely within a generation of the resurrection. Within one generation, a resurrection-witnessing apostle is in conflict with a leader of a local church! Imagine that! If it happened to John, we don’t need to think our churches are uniquely deficient, or ourselves spiritual failures, if relational difficulties happen from time to time! Sometimes folks with “restorationist[1] inclinations” believe that there was some idyllic time in the Church’s past, when everything was so perfect, and God’s power was so free, etc. Supposedly, if we could only recover the same conditions and methods, things would be just as wonderful today. Ponce deLeon had a better chance of finding the fountain of youth than we do of realizing this mythology.
Human nature is human nature. There never was, and never will be, (until the Lord’s return) an idyllic time to “recover.” There is only one time in God: Today. He is I AM, not I was, or I might be for you if you meet all the conditions. Rear-view mirror Christianity is destined to seriously disappoint those trying to recover the past. Looking over one’s shoulder is no way to go forward.

The Letter

John addressed the letter to the “church,” not to the leadership. This was the custom of the time. I find it interesting

that many churches leaders believe all spiritual interactions within a local congregation must pass through them as the alleged “gate-keepers” of the fellowship. Diotrephes believed he had authority to control all the communications and kingdom relationships of those in “his” church. The notion that the community could be addressed without him “clearing it” first offended Diotrephes. Some leaders are much like Diotrephes in that they will not allow any outside influence in the lives of the congregation. Individual initiation and independent thought is strongly discouraged. Psychological manipulation under the guise of submission to authority is used to keep individuals under control.

Loves Preeminence

The word here occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. It means simply: loves to be first. Diotrephes loved to be at the head of all things, to rule. Barnes says this: It is often in the power of one such man to bring a whole church under his control, and effectually to embarrass all its movements, and to prevent all the good which it would otherwise accomplish. Vincent translates it: fond of being first.
Leadership individuals can, and frequently do, develop a fondness, or a “taste for” honor, preeminence, first consideration, etc., in the worst cases, an addiction for them. What starts out as thankfulness for appreciation, becomes the entitlement of position. When you “have to have” something, it is an addiction. Addiction has a couple of qualities:

· The addict is frequently in denial
· The addiction defines normalcy for the addict: aberration becomes normative.

Diotrephes undoubtedly believed himself to be in the right. He had no compunction cutting off John and those related to John. Those with a fondness for first rarely believe themselves in need of any correction. The syringe of self-vindication is necessary to deliver the serum of intoxicating preeminence.

Every legitimate virtue can be pushed to a corrupt extreme. It is most right to honor leaders: freely from a heart of love, in appreciation for meritorious service, rendered in an atmosphere of mutual reciprocity. It is most wrong, coercive, and abusive when honor flows only in one direction (up the hierarchy); or if it is required from a sense of moral obligation to some spiritual code of ethics because of rank, office, or position. Honor is like love, if it has to be demanded, you don’t have it. It is one thing to gladly receive honor, it is another to view as an entitlement.

There is a common (and erroneous) teaching in the Church that you honor the office, not the man. The NT teaches no such thing within the community of faith. The NT teaches to honor secular offices, with the understanding that it is illogical to expect unbelievers to act in honorable ways! Therefore, the office must be honored. The same passage that tells us to honor the king (the office) tells us to honor everyone! (1 Pet. 2:17) The NT is clear: individuals in the Church are to be honored on merit, not office. (See 1Tim. 5:17, Rom. 2:10, Luke 17:3). Inappropriate behavior in, and “teachings” from church leaders, are to be appropriately[2] confronted, not overlooked because of alleged “honor” requirements.

In the New Covenant, leaders are fellow members of the community first, before they are leaders. It is an illegitimate inference to jump by analogy from the secular world to the community of faith: king and pastor are not the same![3] In the community of faith, leaders may be entitled to double honor, (1Tim. 5:17) but the least honorable body member (because of the merit of Christ within) is supposed to receive “super abundant honor!” (1Cor. 12:23-24). I do not know many churches that take that verse and its implications seriously in theology or practice.

In the Old Covenant, it was appropriate to honor the “office” because in so doing you were honoring the anointing, and it rested on individuals uniquely. The king, or the prophet, or the priest were the “Lord’s anointed,” you were not. That has forever changed in the New Covenant. Every member shares equally in the Christ anointing . . . every member of the Body of Christ is equally “anointed” and is therefore, equal in, and worthy of, honor.

Putting Folks Out of the Church

One of the most unfortunate practices I have observed all over the world, is the practice of “black listing” or “black-balling” individuals who may have left the local fellowship for any number of reasons, some legitimate, some not. This is a classic psychological control mechanism. Diotrephes used it, and insecure controllers use it. Leaders often forbid members of the congregation from all contact with departed members out of fear of contamination or some other alleged spiritual defilement.[4] Other than the “shunning” of those who have been publicly and formally excommunicated (marked), according to the disciplinary procedures of Scripture, there is no legitimate Scriptural basis for leaders to forbid church members from fellowshipping with departed members. It is over-stepping the boundaries of legitimate leadership authority. People must be free to make their own decisions: good and bad ones, and bare their own responsibility in the matter of gossip and defilement.

What About Balance?

If you have been in the Church for any length of time, how many sermons have you heard about the dangers of a “spirit of Jezebel” or a “spirit of Absalom?” How many sermons have you heard about the dangers of a “spirit of Diotrephes?” Uh-huh . . . me too. Honestly, does this not indicate something?

Over the years I have heard innumerable warnings of the subversive dangers of a “Jezebelian” or an “Absalom” spirit. I think there is legitimate application from these stories, but in the charismatic segment of the Church, it is seriously over-played, and hyper-spiritualized to the point of mania. Every independent[5] thought and action is viewed as a manifestation of a Jezebel or Absalom spirit of rebellion, disloyalty, betrayal, and a lack of honor.

Why is there not equal concern for the threat from the spirit of Diotrephes? The reason is simple. Jezebel and Absalom deal with people abusing leaders. Diotrephes deals with leaders abusing people. Since leaders are responsible for the preaching, you can guess where the emphasis is going to be.

Neither is acceptable. However, I have never known an abusive leader to admit they were abusive. Just like Diotrephes, the leader is always right. Leaders whose motivation, and values priority are to avoid pain and hurt, and to secure their position (and salary) will, (consciously or otherwise) in their insecurity, emphasize that which accrues the most personal benefit. The crucified life is always an inconvenient intrusion.

Undoubtedly, there will be some who do not like what I am saying, who think I am being “reactionary” to a “non-existent” problem.

Professor Robertson from generations ago tells the story in his NT commentary about an article he wrote on Diotrephes for his denomination. Twenty-five denominational “deacons” protested and stopped the paper from being published because of resentment against being personally attacked! I wonder if the deacons would have been equally outraged if the article had been about the spirit of Jezebel in the people. Not much has changed.

To paraphrase Shakespeare: Methinks thou and Dr. Robertson’s deacons doth protest too much . . .

[1] A belief system that if great things are going to happen in the “last days,” some secret or overlooked qualities or practices from the past must be restored or recovered. Many variations of the theme exist.

[2] I cannot digress into how appropriate confrontation of a leader is to take place. For the present, I am just arguing for legitimacy of the concept, not the particulars of the method. The Scriptures are specific concerning method.

[3] I know of some pastors and churches who teach that they are! Allegedly, the pastor/leader is owed the same fealty and obedience that a citizen offers a king or president. This is completely unjustifiable from the NT and borders on “another spirit.”

[4] You do not have to cut people off to deal with bitter-root defilement issues. You cut off conversations, not people.

[5] I mean this positively in the sense of healthy, functional human psychology, not in a rebellious sense.

Steve Crosby
www.stevecrosby.com

Edited by Moderator on 10/08/2009 at 7:01pm
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator
Kriston Couchey

Posted: 10/13/2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Kriston Couchey

Moderator wrote:
John addressed the letter to the “church,” not to the leadership. This was the custom of the time. I find it interesting
that many churches leaders believe all spiritual interactions within a local congregation must pass through them as the alleged “gate-keepers” of the fellowship. Diotrephes believed he had authority to control all the communications and kingdom relationships of those in “his” church. The notion that the community could be addressed without him “clearing it” first offended Diotrephes. Some leaders are much like Diotrephes in that they will not allow any outside influence in the lives of the congregation. Individual initiation and independent thought is strongly discouraged. Psychological manipulation under the guise of submission to authority is used to keep individuals under control....
...Leadership individuals can, and frequently do, develop a fondness, or a “taste for” honor, preeminence, first consideration, etc., in the worst cases, an addiction for them. What starts out as thankfulness for appreciation, becomes the entitlement of position. When you “have to have” something, it is an addiction. Addiction has a couple of qualities:

DIOTROPHES = TODAY’S MODEL LEADER

I wrote unto the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to have the preeminence among them, did not receive us. Therefore, if I come, I will cause his deeds to be understood, speaking against us with malicious words, and not content with this, he does not receive the brethren and forbids those that desire to receive them and casts them out of the church… …Everyone gives testimony of Demetrius, even the truth itself; and we also bear witness, and ye have known that our witness is true. ~John~

When reading these verses from 3rd John, we have to ask the question: who is in charge of this congregation? Is Diotrephes? If he is, then John tells Gaius to not follow him by saying: “…do not follow that which is evil, but that which is good.”  But If Diotrephes is not the leader, then who is? Is Demetrius? If so, why is Demetrius not rebuking and casting out Diotrephes with his pastoral authority? The lines of authority are not matching up with today's model of church leadership. Would an apostle today tell a congregation to not follow their leader? Why are leadership roles so ambiguous in this scripture? It’s because the church did not have pastors as head of the church, they had a plurality of eldership (mature believers) under the headship of Jesus Christ.

The problem that John had with Diotrephes he would have with the current model of church leadership. In many ways leadership has usurped the “Preeminent” headship role of Christ in the church. This type of leadership has become systemically entrenched and accepted as God ordained in most sectors of the church. This false leadership structure comes from the hierarchal Roman church. It is the use of fleshly political power that is nothing more than a manifestation of the spirit of antichrist. Antichrist meaning: instead of Christ or in the place of Christ.

It is the antichrist spirit that has set up an abomination in a wing of the temple (the church). While this spirit may one day manifest in the world as one evil world leader; the antichrist spirit seduces the church to give fealty to something “instead of" Christ. The antichrist spirit opposes every manifestation of Christ come in the flesh; that flesh being "Christ in you the hope of glory.”

How better to do it than to "replace" the head of a church (Christ) with a false head. Leaders taking the place as the "Head" disconnect people from Christ and His manifestation through His people. The antichrist spirit has used good men and women to oppose Christ through cutting off the expression of Christ in His people. In this new day it will not be tolerated.

View Kriston Couchey's Profile Search for other posts by Kriston Couchey
Fob James

Posted: 10/15/2009 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote Fob James

Your comment is interesting, "the antichrist spirit seduces the church to
give fealty to something “instead of" Christ. The antichrist spirit opposes
every manifestation of Christ come in the flesh; that flesh being "Christ in
you the hope of glory.”

Also, "... the head of every man is Christ...," a scripture forgotten by those
requiring an expression of "fealty" as a condition even to "join a church."

This has been a 2000 year old fight and I think it is coming to an end.

View Fob James's Profile Search for other posts by Fob James

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version