Subject Topic: Baptized by Apples or Oranges? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Rabbi Semachiah

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03/13/2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Rabbi Semachiah

Shalom,

Scripture references are from,
The SET (Stone Edition Tanach) or the CJB (Complete Jewish Bible) for the OT
and the PNT (Power New Testament) for the NT unless otherwise specified.

2 Pet 1:16. For we did not make known to you in craftily devised myths, but because we were eye witnesses of that majesty we followed in the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Messiah.    17. For then He took honor and glory from Father God when such a unique voice announced to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My Son, My Beloved, with Whom I take delight,” (Mt 17:5, Mk 9:7, Lk 9:35)    18. and we heard this voice as it was brought out from heaven while we were with Him on the holy mountain.    19. And we have the more certain prophetic word, in which you will do well, if you pay attention, as with a lamp shining in a dark place, until that Day would dawn and the Morning Star would rise in your hearts,     20. if you understand this first, that no prophecy of Scripture happens by the prophet’s own interpretation:    21. for a prophecy was never brought by the will of a person, but people spoke from God, while they were being carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Within CHRISTendom there has been a debate for years over how one is to be baptized. Some have claimed that it is to be "Only in the name of Y'SHUA" while others have preferred that it be, "in the name of The FATHER, The Son and The HOLY GHOST". The latter is based on a doctrine that was added to The Scriptures by the Roman Catholic Church at the Council of Nicea. The we find this addition renderred today in the King James Version (KJV) of The Scriptures reads...
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
That which I have highlighted is that portion which has been added. Once this was added most every subsequent translator, Pastor and denomination then adapted this doctrine as their own as if it were "the truth"; as if it were "The Gospel" and yet it was not. Others have made an enormous deal over their belief that one "Must" be baptized "ONLY" in the actual name of Y'SHUA which they then change to "Jesus".
Let me declare to you that both are Wrong!

The first error is that when they added to Mat 28:19 they corrupted The Word of YHVH. They therefore took authority that had not given unto them. They usurped the authority of YHVH in this and made of themselves a god before the people. They actually made their self into a proverbial Golden Calf; a man-made god for the people to worship (Ex 32:24). Let's be kind however and state that this addition was simply an extension of their already established doctrine based in other portions of The Scriptures. It was essentially a codification of what they already believed that they saw within The Scriptures into one verse.

In their own manner the second group has done the exact same thing. Their first error was to use a name change. The person they refer to as Jesus is really named, "Y'SHUA". No one gave them or anyone else the right to change His name. My name is Eric, for you to change it and refer to me as Hakeem just because that is the transliteration in your native tongue is not proper unless I authorize it to be used. Therefore if there is authority associated with my name of "Eric" but you are calling me "Hakeem" then there exist no right to the authority of my name. Thus if you change the name of Y'SHUA and baptize in the name of Jesus you have no expectation of the authority granted under the name of Y'SHUA. You may as well of baptized under the name of Ferd Ferble or Harriett Howser for both carry the same authority as the name of Jesus; NONE!

Furthermore in John 3 we read of an encounter between Y'SHUA and a man named Nicodemus. Nicodemus was a Jewish leader from amongst the Pharisees. Of this encounter we read...
Jn 3:2. this one came to Him at night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You, a teacher, have come from God: for unless God were with Him no one is able to perform these signs that You do.”    3. Jesus answered and said to him, “Most definitely I say to you, unless someone would have been born from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God.”    4. Nicodemus said to Him, “How is a man able to be born when he is in old age? Is he able to enter his mother’s womb and be born a second time?”    5. Jesus answered, “Most certainly I say to you, unless someone would have been born out of water and Spirit he is not able to enter the kingdom of God.    6. What has been born of the flesh is flesh, and what has been born of the Spirit is spirit.    7. Do not be astonished that I said to you, ‘It is necessary for you to be born from above.’    8. The wind blows where it wishes and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going: thus it is with everyone who has been born of the Spirit.”    9. Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things happen?”    10. Jesus answered and said to him, “You are a teacher of Israel and you do not know these things?
The first thing we NEED to take note of, is that the two men will be discussing "Apples and Oranges". By this I mean that while Nicodemus is talking about things in the natural realm Y'SHUA will be referring to things in the SPIRITual realm. It is HIGHLY important for us to remember this for it is exactly this discussion that causes the vast majority of problems when we discuss the topic of which way to baptize. The question is really not about which "way" but in what SPIRIT is one baptized. This basic problem follows us throughout The Scriptures as we read and discuss them. Often we read and thus see them from the earthly realm when YHVH is attempting to present them to us from a SPIRITual perspective. We know that this dichotomy or what I often refer to as "this dualism" exist but we tend to forget and focus on that which we remember. This focus makes it hard or nigh to impossible for us to see the other possibility even while others painstakingly attempt to lead us into them. It was precisely this which led to the discussion between Nicodemus and Y'SHUA being a discussion of "Apples and Oranges". This is also what places today's Believers at odds as to which way one is to be baptized.
Let me proclaim loudly to you that "It is NOT the way" which matters but the SPIRIT behind the action!
"It is NOT the physical" that is important but again, the SPIRITual.
Y'SHUA attempts to express this view to Nicodemus above starting from what we call verse 5 unto the end. That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the water is physical. What is truly relevant is that which is born of The SPIRIT is SPIRITual; is "Born Again"; is born anew and is therefore a "New Creature".      

The Apostle Paul helps us in this discussion when he writes to the Congregation at Rome...
Rom 8:18. For I consider that the sufferings of the present time are not comparable to the glory about to be revealed in us.    19. For the anxious and persistent expectation of all creation awaits diligently and patiently the revelation of the children of God, which is on Judgment Day.    20. Because creation was subjected to frustration, not voluntarily, but because of the One Who made creation subject, upon hope    21. that also this creation will be set free from the bondage of corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.    22. For we know that all creation groans together and travails together until now:   23. and not only that, but also those of us who have the first fruits of the spirit, then we are sighing in ourselves diligently and patiently awaiting adoption, the redemption of our body.    24. Because we have been delivered by hope: but hope being seen is not hope: for who hopes for what he sees?    25. But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly await through perseverance.
   8:26. And likewise also the Spirit helps together with us in our weakness: for we do not know what we should pray according to what is needed, but the Spirit Himself intercedes in unutterable groanings:     27. and the One Who searches our hearts knows what is in the mind of the Spirit, because He intercedes with God on behalf of the saints.  28. And we know that, for those who love God, He works all things for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.    29. Because whom He knew beforehand, He appointed ahead of time, because they have the same form of the likeness of His Son, for He was Firstborn among many brothers: (Mt 12:50, 13:55, Mk 6:3, et. al.)    30. and whom He appointed beforehand, He also called: and whom He called, He also made righteous: and these whom He made righteous, He also glorified.

It is NOT important as to what was said by someone above you while you were under water because you did not hear what they said! What is important is what was said within your SPIRIT to YHVH.

When we come "in the name" of another, we come as a representative of the other. When we come before YHVH "in the name" of Y'SHUA we come representing Y'SHUA. When we come before the world "in the name" of Y'SHUA we come to them representing Y'SHUA. We are NOT physically Y'SHUA, we are just His ambassadors; we represent Him to them. When Y'SHUA was here He came to us; He came to mankind NOT as YHVH but as YHVH's representative; HIS ambassador which represented YHVH to the world.

2 Pet 1:16. For we did not make known to you in craftily devised myths, but because we were eye witnesses of that majesty we followed in the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Messiah.    17. For then He took honor and glory from Father God when such a unique voice announced to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My Son, My Beloved, with Whom I take delight,” (Mt 17:5, Mk 9:7, Lk 9:35)
Crafty man create craftily devised myths and get us to focus on the physical realm around us. They get us to worry, if you will, about which "formula" you were baptized into or through. They get us to look at our selves rather than who it is that we are here to serve. Understand this clearly, please? We are here to serve YHVH under the authority that YHVH gave to Y'SHUA. We are ordained as Priests of YHVH through the authority of YHVH's High Priest, Y'SHUA. All of this was given to us NOT physically from YHVH but through HIS SPIRIT upon the earth which had first resided within Y'SHUA and which Y'SHUA then gave to us as was promised when Y'SHUA stated...
Jn 14:15. “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments: (Wsd 6:18)    16. and I will ask the Father and, so that He would be with you forever, He will give you another Comforter,   17. the Spirit of Truth, Whom the world is not able to accept, because it does not see and does not know Him: you know Him, because He remains beside you and will be inside you.
Not the physical world!
Not the physical act!
Not the Apples but the Oranges!
It is The SPIRIT of YHVH which brings new life to your dead spirit and your dead body.
It is The SPIRIT of YHVH which will raise you into eternity not the physical act of baptism!
If there is new life within you; if you are Born Again then it is NOT because of something; anything, in the physical world but because of...
Zec 4:6 Then he answered me, "This is the word of ADONAI to Z'rubavel: 'Not by force, and not by power, but by my Spirit,' says ADONAI-Tzva'ot.

After leaving Nicodemus Y'SHUA went on and at Jacob's well talked with a woman where He stated...
Jn 4:22. You worship whom you have not known: we are worshipping Whom we do know, because salvation is by the Jewish people.    23. In fact an appointed time is coming and is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth: for the Father is seeking such as these who worship Him.    24. God is spirit, and it is necessary for those who worship Him to worship in spirit and in truth.”

How do you serve YHVH?
Not by the physical but by The SPIRIT!
Not by Apples but by Oranges!
Have you been baptized by the "crafty" precepts of men or by YHVH?
Have you been baptized by a formula or into a contrived name or did The SPIRIT do the work?
Have you been baptized by Apples or Oranges?

View Rabbi Semachiah's Profile Search for other posts by Rabbi Semachiah Visit Rabbi Semachiah's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version