Author
Ron McGatlin
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 10/08/2014 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Ron McGatlin

I Want To Be Left Behind

By JD King

For five years I've seriously contemplated writing this. Yet, the reason I never did is because of my innate aversion to controversy. It's shocking, but each time I write about things like this, angry comments and unsubscribes start showing up in my inbox. I enjoy weighing in on relevant biblical topics but hate to get into arguments with beloved brothers and sisters in Christ.

This may turn out to be a mistake, but I felt it was time to disentangle some associations people have with the "rapture." I typically stay out of these things, but this is getting quite difficult to ignore.

Every time I open up my social media feeds there are hundreds of updates about the "emerging apocalypse." Noted Christian magazines have cataclysmic, end-time stories gracing their covers. One can't even get away from it in the frivolous realm of entertainment. They currently have a rapture themed television series and just released a reboot of the "Left Behind" movie franchise. It seems that multitudes are convinced that Christians are awaiting the ultimate earthly evacuation.

Many declare they don’t want to be left behind, but I think that I do.

Before you get upset with this "bleak" declaration, please hear me out. I probably mean something slightly different than what you're thinking. Walk with me through this.

Considering Matthew 24:37-41

Most Christians haven't seriously examined Matthew 24:40-41; the passage that specifically references those who are "left behind." Don't you think it's relevant to take a closer look at these verses before we start having a disagreement? In these verses Jesus declares the following:

Two men will be working together in the field; one will be taken, the other left. Two women will be grinding flour at the mill; one will be taken, the other left (Matthew 24:40-41).

I admit that rapture allusions appear quite abundant with a surface reading of this text. In fact, as I engage it right now, I can hear my childhood Sunday School teacher saying, “Be careful what you do, J.D., you might get left behind in the tribulation.
In my mind's eye I can almost imagine Larry Normans "Wish We’d All Been Ready" playing in the background.

"A man and wife asleep in bed
She hears a noise and turns her head he's gone
I wish we'd all been ready
Two men walking up a hill
One disappears and one's left standing still
I wish we'd all been ready

There's no time to change your mind The Son has come and you've been left behind
"

Yet, is this what Jesus was really speaking to?

In all honesty I've found the context is considerably different from the way that Americans typically read it. Yet, to comprehend this, readers need to go back a few verses and begin at 37:

When the Son of Man appears, it will be like it was in Noah’s day. In those days before the flood, the people were enjoying banquets and parties and weddings right up to the time Noah entered his boat. People didn’t realize what was going to happen until the flood came and swept them all away. That is the way it will be when the Son of Man appears. “Two men will be working together in the field; one will be taken, the other left. Two women will be grinding flour at the mill; one will be taken, the other left (Matthew 24:37-41).

In his warning to Jerusalem of a swift judgment taking place within forty years, Jesus likens things to the "days of Noah." At that earlier season, the unbelieving masses were oblivious to the fact that a flood was coming. They continued to live godless lives and disaster came crashing upon them suddenly.

As the flood water erupted, the wicked were "seized" in a watery judgment. However, Noah and his family were left behind. The unrighteous died, but those who remained were able to hold on to the goodness and love of God.

This is where modern readers need to pick up on Jesus' analogy. When He was talking about those who will be "taken" in Matthew 24:40-41, He wasn't talking about people being "raptured" up to heaven. No, He was talking about "unbelievers" removed from the earth through acts of judgment. In the end, it is the "meek" who are left behind to enjoy their families and "inherit the earth" (Matthew 5:5).

I repeat my earlier declaration - I want to be left behind.

On Earth As Is In Heaven

Did God place man on earth with a mandate for cultural engagement (Genesis 1:26-28) only to later pull us out? Was Jesus joking when He declared, My prayer is not that you take them out of the world (John 17:15)? Is the Bible's emphasis on community and victorious living overblown? Should the goal of the gospel really be a great escape?

In this season of great anxiety and fear, we need to remember what God has repeatedly said to His people, "I will be your God. You will be my people. And I will dwell with you." The good news is not that we go up, but that God comes down.

I have been learning a lot over the last season and I must declare that in the midst of difficulty and challenge, I want my whole family preserved. Though I've often failed, I desire to grasp what it means to become a good husband and father. I also want my friends and those that I love to be "left behind" to glorify Jesus in the communities that we have built our homes in.

I'm honestly not looking for an evacuation, but a heavenly invasion. I desperately want the Word to take on flesh in our troubled generation. Even in the midst of disease and political turmoil may we all continue to pray the way that Jesus taught us so long ago: "God, may your Kingdom come and Your will be done here on earth as it is in Heaven."

JD King

World Revival Network

Kansas City
Blog with comments 

Edited by Ron McGatlin on 10/08/2014 at 2:14pm
View Ron McGatlin's Profile Search for other posts by Ron McGatlin Visit Ron McGatlin's Homepage
Gary Preble

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/09/2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Gary Preble

Beautiful! Amen!!!
View Gary Preble's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Preble
Ron Warne

Posted: 10/09/2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Ron Warne

I believe if we change 1 word of the Apostle Paul's
that he wrote to the church at Phillipi toward the end
of his life, that it reflects what the church's
attitude should be at the end of the age as we await
the coming of our Lord.
"For me, to live is Christ and to be raptured is gain.
If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean
fruitful labor for me.
Yet, what shall I choose? I do not know. I am torn
between the 2: I desire to be raptured and be with
Christ, which is better by far, but it is more
necessary for you that I remain in the body.
Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and
continue with all of you for your joy and progress in
the faith."
If we are effective for the Kingdom, the church should
desire to remain.

Kimberly Fowler

Posted: 10/09/2014 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Kimberly Fowler

That was beautifully put, Ron, your nuance of that
scripture. How sweet and so appropriate. We do so
hunger for such presence and face to face communion
and worship with God that it is sometimes such a desire
to go "home" and be forever with the Lord. But there is
also the knowledge that we may cut short the plan of God
for our life and all He wants to do through us if we allow.
So it is back to, "Not my will, but thine be done."
View Kimberly Fowler's Profile Search for other posts by Kimberly Fowler
Margaret Jacob

Posted: 10/10/2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote Margaret Jacob

Ron,talk about a walk down memory lane. Not too many years ago I played the part of an Angel in a play called "Hell's flames and Heaven's gates." People were literally scared to bits that they would miss the rapture if they didn't rush forward to be saved. God is so good to bring us through "religious teachings" and open our eyes to HIS LOVE. For months now He has been leading me to pray the LORD'S prayer when I am not sure how to pray. I began to notice that prayers were being answered on a more frequent basis! He also has been encouraging me to pray more in the Spirit. The song which keeps coming to me is "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the LIGHT of HIS GLORY AND GRACE."
I am eternally grateful for this web-site. I have been visiting for years but just got the nerve to come out of my shell and open my mouth!
BLESS ALL OF YOU.
BECAUSE HE LIVES:    Margaret (Maggie)
View Margaret Jacob's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret Jacob

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version