Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
OpenHeaven.com Forum : KINGDOM/APOSTOLIC Transformation & Reformation ARTICLES & Discussion
Subject Topic: 21 Discoveries I Made While Breaking Into The Kingdom - Terry Somerville Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10/15/2007 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

terry

Dear Friends
 I'm back from Europe with a few days jet lag and a cold. Ah ... the high cost of air travel. Anyway,  I'm back at my business till Korea in November.

In this issue I'm sharing a number of soul shaking discoveries I've e made as I pressed "violently" into the Kingdom of God.  Yes, violent to me, and anyone who wants to know the Kingdom.

Be Blessed

Terry Somerville
www.totalchange.org

21 Discoveries I Made While

Breaking Into The Kingdom

Part 1 to 7

by Terry Somerville

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

(Matthew 11:12)

Jesus said entering the Kingdom of God takes violence. The Greek words literally mean to "press into the Kingdom by violent force and take hold of it". What is this violent force? What will you experience?  If the Kingdom of God is within us (Luke 17:21), and suffers violence, then the violence is  experienced in our hearts.    If you want to enter the Kingdom of God be willing to damage the way you see and do things. Be prepared for  violence in  your heart.

Here are twenty-one discoveries of the heart  I've made while breaking into the Kingdom.

1. We Don't Know Our Hearts, even if we think we do. 
"Man looks on the outward appearance, God looks on the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7)  You may think you know your heart because you know this scripture, but  our hearts are deceitful ( looking one way, but appearing another)  Only God can show us the state of our heart.  If you really want to enter the Kingdom, God will reveal things about the state of your heart you never knew.

As Christians we are pardoned from all our sins,  but our hearts must be circumcised to serve Him. (Duet.30:6 ; Jer.4:4)  It's always co-operative. We do it with Him.  We are told to "make for yourself a new heart" and "I (God) will give you a new heart." 

.. and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?  Ezekiel 18:31

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26

2. We can have the Holy Spirit's power without repentance.
For many years I deeply pursued the anointing of God. I thought it was the answer for what I was seeking. Graciously, the Lord poured out His anointing and power,  yet I became frustrated because my heart was untouched. I saw many ministries that had been built on the power of God fall into unrighteousness.  This caused me to cry out to Him deeply, until I finally received His love.  God is interested  in our hearts, not our anointing.  He can anoint donkeys and rocks to talk, but only people can have hearts filled by His love.

3. Most western Christians are idol worshipers.

When God confronted me about my idolatry I didn't see how this could be true. He reminded how Israel took  idols into their hearts, and the priests served in their rooms of unclean pictures. (read Ezekiel 14:3-7)  They were not worshiping statues, but pictures or images in their minds and hearts.

The Lord graciously showed me that I had started out serving Him, but was now serving an image of successful ministry instead. I preached about the vision and  prayed for  it. My ministry was about "my vision" not about Jesus.  Much of my vision was straight from our culture: success, size, spiritual power and influence, etc. with a Christian twist.  I was happy or depressed according to the success or failure of the vision.   Like Israel, I was serving an idol along side the Lord. My heart was not pure.

In a similar way, the Lord revealed I had an image of what I wanted my wife Karen to be like. I was happy or bothered depending on how close she was to this picture I had of her. Did I love the picture or her? My heart was divided. 

I needed to repent of idolatry in my heart. I experienced a violent overthrow of whole areas of my life as I entered the Kingdom of God by force!  

What I thought was the Holy Spirit, often was not.  
As the Lord exposed my heart, He revealed a terrible thing about my prophetic ministry. I  had often prophesied by own heart, imagination, or spirit, rather than the Holy Spirit!  I had accepted my "internal inspiration" because it agreed with my agenda.

they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord. Jeremiah 23:16

Thus saith the Lord God; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing! Ezekiel 13:3

I was doing what the prophets of Israel did. They had been "sincerely deceived" because their hearts were not right.  Entering the Kingdom of God requires violence  at the  heart and spirit level.  It's time to test the spirits, they may be our own! Could it be that God wants to say some things to us we don't want to hear?

5. Feeling the anointing doesn't necessarily mean God agrees!
I used to assume that  feeling the anointing meant God was "on" the thing I was doing.  NOT TRUE.  This lesson cost me over $10,000.

I was invited to participate in a "Christian investment" by some solid  friends in ministry.  As soon as they spoke about it I felt the anointing.  I assumed God agreed, but we lost everything in the biggest scam in years. Many "mature prophets", and Christian leaders were taken in. How could we have missed it?  I sought the Lord for an answer.  How could I feel Him close, yet be so wrong?  

The Lord draws near to talk to us, not just anoint our ministry.  We need to wait and hear what He wants to say, and not assume He approves of our agenda. In this case, He wanted to show me the scheme was a snare, but mammon already had my heart.  I didn't stop and listen. Again God was violently dealing with heart  in order to enter the Kingdom.  

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
(John 16:13)

In Greek, this verse is saying "whenever He comes, he will lead you into all truth"  In the Kingdom we follow the king not our own programs.

6. Ministry was more about my  significance than His glory.
Our lack of significance is perhaps the deepest void caused by the fall.  Man lost his  relationship to the Father and his place in creation. The need for significance drives us in achievements, power or wealth.  It is our attempt to say we are somebody!  Also, the lack of significance causes depression.  When we  come to Christ our relationship to the Father is restored,  but our hearts  still seek significance apart from Him, even in ministry. It takes violent force in this area to enter the Kingdom.

After the Lord led us out of pastoral ministry I began a struggle with personal significance. For twenty five years my ministry was my identity.  I felt like I needed to "start something", but the Lord always said "no, wait". After many struggles, He  showed me I was finding my significance in the response to my ministry, not in Him.  I repented because many times I had used people to build my vision and I had not really loved them.  I realized I needed to find my significance in Him alone, and not in what I did for the people.

In Hebrews it says there is a rest waiting for us. Being His people doesn't guarantee rest.  It only comes when we cease from our labor and diligently seek to enter this rest.

To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Hebrews 4:8-10

Last year I was clearly led by the Holy Spirit to have a evangelistic campaign in India.  By any measure it would be considered successful. But as soon as it was completed, my "inner Pharisee" started analyzing my performance.  "Maybe more people would have responded if I had done  this". "Maybe more people could have been healed if I did that." This has been normal heart pattern for me  through the years.  Suddenly the Father interrupted me; "I am very please with what you did." WOW!  I didn't expect that.  Later I started analyzing myself again, and again the Father said; "I am very pleased with what you did. You did exactly what I asked you to."  At that point  my struggle ceased.  Ientered in to rest.

Now I find the performance has been lifted off me. There is a new sense of being an ambassador. The Lord says "just tell them about my love." He is at work, I can rest in who i am in Him.

7. Only God's love opens His Kingdom to us
As a 'spirit filled Christian" I was taught to work hard! Press in! There was much "spiritual effort' learning the principles to live the "spiritual life and ministry". The next book, conference or CD were important, but the doors to the kingdom never seemed to open to me. Like most modern Christians I kept searching for the missing ingredient.

Then I received God's love in a way I never knew was available to me.  I call this "the love anointing." It was  more than receiving the Fathers love and knowing the security of full sonship.  According to Jesus prayer for us, we can receive the very same love the Father put into Jesus. This changes our heart and empowers our life to live like Christ.

And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.
John 17:26

This is amazing. The "God so loved the world" love that was put in Jesus, can be put into our hearts.  We love with His love, not our own love. We abide in this love. Only this love enables participation in the Kingdom. 
  • It is His love in us, not our effort at loving.
  • Our motives are overtaken by His love motives.
  • Our security comes from His love in us, not our ability.
  • Our significance is experienced as His love works in us.
  • Our ministry is His compassion at work through us, not our own efforts.

What's more, this love is given in answer to Jesus prayer. It is not a matter of our effort, only faith to believe and ask Jesus' prayer to be fulfilled in us.  His love "shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit" is truly the way we break into Kingdom life. In fact, it IS Kingdom life.

Parts 8-14 in the next issue.

Terry Somerville
Total Change Ministries
www.totalchange.org
newsletter@totalchange.org

Edited by Moderator on 10/15/2007 at 5:32am
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator
Andre Lefebvre

Posted: 10/15/2007 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Andre Lefebvre

Terry once again hit home with so many of those down-to-earth truthful experiences. How many ways do we need for it to be spelled out to finally open the curtains and let the light come in and illuminate everything that's in the house of God, the good, the bad and the ugly, as well as in our own lives?

I understand that many want to hold on to a sense that they got it right and if we just could stay the course and, etc. Sadly no, staying the course is not the kingdom. Repentance is. And repentance takes willingness and courage, to let go and allow our minds to be changed, even about our own understanding and walking out a kingdom reality.

I pray and hope that we will see a reduction of resistance and self-congratulatory attitudes that are stifling the work of repentance the Holy Spirit and God's goodness are relentlessly pursuing in our collective lives. So that we can come to a unity of the faith in Christ and turn away from the military-type and business-model of  Christianity that so break my heart, as it disfigures the Son of God to our children, our broken, our poor, and the nations.

Blessings to all, and thank you to "moderator" for posting this. I'd love for this person to come out and not be afraid to be known. You rock!

Andre

Edited by Andre Lefebvre on 10/15/2007 at 10:36am

View Andre Lefebvre's Profile Search for other posts by Andre Lefebvre Visit Andre Lefebvre's Homepage
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10/21/2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Parts 8-14

by Terry Somerville

8. Living In The Kingdom Is An Adventure
When I was saved I received an inner sense of adventure. I was heading into great things with God! I knew He called me to preach,  do miracles, and see revival.  Where would He take me? What would we do?  

At first, God took us into pastoral ministry. Over the years that adventure  ground into a secure routine,  and often a painful endurance. Yes, God was there.  We saw awesome things, and had a reliable income. But I became deeply unsatisfied.  I felt like a sick kid looking out the window, longing to play again.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.  Matthew 13:45,46

After twenty-five years I said " If I don't "go for it" now and go through the doors in front of me, I never will.  I don't want to be an old man looking back, wishing I had stepped out."  So Karen and I left security and predictability  and entered  the adventure of the Kingdom.  

Shortly after stepping out of the pastoral ministry Karen had several visions.

In the first one she and the Lord were standing in front of a vast green valley. She had an armload of charts and maps and the Lord said to her "You might as well throw these away. You have no clue where you are going. You will have to rely on me for every step you take." Adventure!

9. Living In The Kingdom Means Abandoning Mans Security
 A year or so after the first vision Karen  saw herself in the valley again, still holding an old fluted map. It was "Total Change Ministries"  This map was  also of no assistance.   When she told me this vision I was upset. I had been holding onto the provision of 'para-church' ministry. It wasn't working and  God kept providing in other surprising ways.  Finally we abandoned all our expectations and every sense of human security.  Now we were  just depending on Jesus. 

Peter, James and John went through this. They saw the miracle of a "boat sinking, net breaking load of fish". They left it all!  Jesus is our source and our security.   

So when they brought the boats to shore, they left everything and followed Jesus.  Luke 5:11

In another early vision, Karen saw people organizing an old west wagon train. The buckboards were loaded high with furniture, pump organs, and chests full of fancy clothing. The wagon master told the people to dump them and said "You can't use those things where we are going".  Then he handed them a strange looking bar. No one could see a use for it, but they dropped the other stuff and took the bars. The vision shifted to a later time on the journey. The wagons were stuck in the mud. Out came the bar and it freed the wagons.

A few years into our journey the Lord told us to incorporate a company.     For over a year we had no idea what it was for, and it just sat there. Eventually it got us out of the mud!   

.  Discovering My Fear and Greed - The Fruit of the "Self Made Man"
A year after we formed our company the Lord led me to take a profitable investment  and start stock trading.  I had visions of a great income for my family and ministry, but God had other plans.  I studied diligently and began to day trade.  But I was was not free. I was controlled by my fear and greed, I found I could not do what I knew I should!

I would buy a good stock and watch the technical indicators. When it came time to sell at a profit, I knew it.  But, in greed I would hold out for more, then lose it!  Or, I would buy a stock, and it would drop. Rather than quickly cutting my loses, I would hang on in fear, expecting a turn around that almost never happened.  I knew exactly what to do, but fear and greed overcame me. I had never seen this in myself before! Why couldn't I do what was obvious?? 

My wife said she used to get up in the morning and find me praying in the living room in the presence of God. Now she would find me stock trading under a darkening cloud!

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. Luke 16:13

Who would have thought stock trading would expose my heart. Fear and greed was a pattern I learned from the world. In my youth I learned to be a "self made man."   and mammon had a grip on me.  I would repent and break it off, but I needed to die to the old man! 

Mammon and the world are enemies of God's Kingdom. We have learned their ways and often find them in the church as well.  Entering the rest of God's grace, goodness and love is the real remedy for fear and greed.  

11. I Needed To Renounce  The Curse of Tithing To Receive Kingdom Blessing

Karen and I desperately needed to know the Kingdom of God lifestyle. We were being pressed into financial dependence on God, and going deeper into debt!  We sought God deeply in a two day retreat in the mountains.  The main struggle was how to walk in Kingdom finances. Tithing wasn't working and like layers on a rotten onion, we discovered several reasons why. 

First, I discovered genuine biblical tithing is impossible.  I'm not jewish. I don't have agricultural produce. I don't live in Israel. Theres no priesthood or temple to take my tithes to.  Instead, I had been serving a spiritualized religious version of the Mosaic law, and was expecting grace as a reward.

Second, and far worse, I had linked myself to the curse of the law in Malachi 3:9  Since I sought to keep this one point of the law,  I had become guilty of the whole law. Our lives, and finances, were under legalism not grace!

For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point is guilty of breaking all of it. James 2:10

Those of you who are trying to be justified by the law have been cut off from Christ. You have fallen away from grace. Galatians 5:4

No wonder I could not receive grace in my finances. I had put myself under "the law of the tithe" and potentially the curse of the whole law.  When we said 'but Lord, we tithed and gave offerings, where are the finances?" we were saying we were justified  by our own works.  I finally saw this truth but  was afraid to renounce tithing.  Fear of the law still ruled me!  Finally I made a violent breakthrough into the Kingdom and repented.  

Another important point. As we were working  through this  issue we found  some Kingdom teachers saying "the tithe is God's tax on citizens of the Kingdom".   But, Jesus was clear when asked about the temple tax.  The foreigners pay, but the citizens or "sons" are free!

What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? 26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. Matthew 17:25,26

If you are a member of a  church organization, go ahead and pay your dues.  BUT  Every Christan must renounce the "law of the tithe" to fully participate in the Kingdom of God.

12. My Righteousness Does Not Release The Kingdom

The truth about tithing exposed my spiritual performance legalism.  Religion says "my performance brings God's blessing" But in the Kingdom, everything comes through  God's grace and love.  I had spiritualized works of the law into a Christian theology for victory in life. I was a "self made man", and this included spiritual things!"  I believed  my ability to do the right thing released  His grace! How wrong I was.  Thats not grace at all! 

Here are some examples:

• I tied God's financial blessing to my works of tithes and offerings.
  • I tied spiritual freedom to my ability to confess the right words,  know the right scripture and do the right program.
  • I  tied Gods victory over the devil to my ability to identify the strongholds, find  and repent of every sin that may bind me. Name the demon, and use my authority.    
  • I tied God's  ministry and power in me, to my ability to know, speak, walk and work rightly.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

Surely my Heavenly Father will provide for me, protect me, and lead me, JUST BECAUSE HE LOVES ME.  I needed to repent of my own works of righteousness and become child like.  In the Kingdom of God there is a higher road than my fallible ability to do it all properly.   Our own righteousness does not release the Kingdom, God's love does.

13. The Kingdom Is About Joyful Receiving and Giving 
As Karen and I continued to press  into the Kingdom we discovered  more and more of God's grace. We are not "paying our dues" hoping God will bless us, but, we live  in His security knowing that He loves us and will take care of us.

The Lord gives salvation, healing, deliverance and provision  out of His great love!  He desires us to do the same.  Joyfully! It's a great blessing!

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Romans 8:32

Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons: freely ye received, freely give. Matthew 10:8

Every man Each of you must give what you have decided in your heart, not with regret or under compulsion, since God loves a cheerful giver.
II Corinthians 9:7

Recently Karen was wrestling over giving $200 to help a needy friend. The Lord said "give $300." Suddenly there was joy! The larger amount now seemed  easy! It was God's gift to us to give. Kingdom living truly is a life of grace!  Grace to us and grace to others.

Even the well used scripture "give and it shall be given to you" is actually about giving to enemies because that is God's gracious character.   Check it out.

But love your enemies, and do them good, and lend, never despairing; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be sons of the Most High: for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil. ..... give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, shall they give into your bosom. For with what measure ye mete it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6:35;38

To fully enter the Kingdom requires a radical rethinking of how we do things.  It requires a radical love of evil men. It is joyful receiving and joyful giving.

14. The Kingdom Of God is Not A System,  It's a Person,

When I began this pursuit of  the Kingdom of God, I was looking for a system.  I was looking for  the proper method to do things. A kingdom program to use in the church. (duhh!) God was drawing, but I thought the answer was reforming the church and adding the five fold ministry.  I looked for system and principles to operate the Kingdom by.  (Thats me in control again.....) The Lord graciously frustrated every effort in this direction. The Kingdom, and the church, are not systems.

I was saved by following a person... Jesus... but I had added all kinds of things to it.  I began a walk of repentance, laying down my ways and means, to live the relationship once again. The Kingdom of God is simple, the King ruling in the hearts of men. All things will be summed up in that King!

That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: Ephesians 1:10

If you want the Kingdom, live with the King.  It's time for His people to leave the outer court behind and enter in.

Parts 15 to 21 in the next issue.

Terry Somerville
Total Change Ministries
www.totalchange.org
mariateresatee

Posted: 10/21/2007 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote mariateresatee

The Kingdom Of God is Not A System,  It's a Person,
I was saved by following a person... Jesus... The Kingdom of God is simple, the King ruling in the hearts of men. All things will be summed up in that King!

"...You have no clue where you are going. You will have to rely on me for every step you take." Adventure!

Exactly what I'm discovering these days! You have no clue where you are going and what you are going to say. All that's there is Jesus leading the way and doing the works. I'm finding out that I have to unlearn everything I've known about "how to do ministry." What rest to just say what He is saying and do what He is doing!

"Then I received God's love in a way I never knew was available to me.  I call this "the love anointing." It was  more than receiving the Fathers love and knowing the security of full sonship.  According to Jesus prayer for us, we can receive the very same love the Father put into Jesus. This changes our heart and empowers our life to live like Christ.

"...His love "shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit" is truly the way we break into Kingdom life. In fact, it IS Kingdom life."

Amen!

Edited by mariateresatee on 10/21/2007 at 11:17pm

View mariateresatee's Profile Search for other posts by mariateresatee Visit mariateresatee's Homepage
Julie Gilbert

Posted: 10/22/2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Julie Gilbert

Maria..

"According to Jesus prayer for us, we can receive the very same love the Father put into Jesus. This changes our heart and empowers our life to live like Christ.

"...His love "shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit" is truly the way we break into Kingdom life. In fact, it IS Kingdom life."

This has been my prayer for many months... the fact remains that EVERYTHING that we have, everything that we possess, everything that we are currently and will become, everything /anything etc. concerning us is FROM GOD originally.

We can't even cry out to God unless His spirit bids us come... We have nothing to give to God from ourselves.. except that we yield ourselves to, again, His bidding call .. "Come unto Me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I shall give you REST"

We are definitely on an adventure led by our Father God by His Spirit... Amen... thank you for sharing..

mariateresatee

Posted: 10/22/2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote mariateresatee

Hello Julie,

You are so right...

"We can't even cry out to God unless His spirit bids us come... We have nothing to give to God from ourselves.. except that we yield ourselves to, again, His bidding call .. "Come unto Me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I shall give you REST""

I cried out to God for three years. I was just so hungry and thirsty for Him sometimes I felt like I could not breath, almost like I was dying. And then, suddenly, in October last year... the "love anointing"! Like Terry Sommervile said, "It was  more than receiving the Fathers love and knowing the security of full sonship." It was an experience of becoming one with our heavenly Father and with our heavenly Bridegroom. Of being loved so fully and so gently and so wonderfully. Of knowing I was made to love Him.

View mariateresatee's Profile Search for other posts by mariateresatee Visit mariateresatee's Homepage
Julie Gilbert

Posted: 10/22/2007 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Julie Gilbert

yes amen my sister...
He is SO awesome! bless you friend..

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10/29/2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

21 Discoveries I Made While Breaking Into The Kingdom

Parts 15-21

terry

Dear Friends

This series on breaking into the kingdom is generating a steady flow of response. I'm glad it's helping so many.

In the first seven discoveries, I talked mainly about the heart. In the next seven I touched  on trust and finances. This time it's about relationship.
This is the essence of the Kingdom.

So here are my last 7 discoveries while breaking into the Kingdom. I'm sure there are more, but I thought 21 was a good sounding number.  If you want to download the earlier newsletters go to the archives here.
Newsletter Archives

Be Blessed

Terry Somerville
www.totalchange.org

Parts 15-21

by Terry Somerville

15. I Had to Stop Living In The Tyranny of The Prophetic Future
Being prophetic, I was always living in the future, not the present. I was looking for the revival to come and preaching it. Hoping for the bigger church, and the success of ministry. ( see part 3 and 4)  Lots of prophecies, mine and others,  point there.  Maybe these prophecies are true, but our hearts are not to live there, and that was the problem.  I was always living in tomorrow, the tyranny of the prophetic future. BUT The Kingdom of God is here and now.

neither shall they say, Lo, here! or, There! for lo, the kingdom of God is within you.  Luke 17:21

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.
Matt. 6:33,34

Eventually,  I suffered "Revival Anticipation Fatigue". I couldn't go on waiting for the prophetic. God's plan is to lead us  day by day and, yes He does reveal His heart and plans (John 16:13)  It's just because we are His family and  share in His love. It edifies us. I needed to violently break through living for the future before  I could walk in the  Kingdom here and now.

16. The Dread Champions of The Kingdom are like "Forest Grump"
What should our heart be like living in the Kingdom of God? Todays church champion is  the first, the biggest, the most talented, the richest and the most knowledgeable.  But that is not the way of the Kingdom.  He who has faith as a little child enters into the Kingdom of God. No experts there! To enter we need to repent of our ways.

...Verily I say unto you, Except ye repent, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 18:3,4

God's ways are not mans ways! When we no longer esteem what man esteems  and the first becomes last, we will see the Kingdom  at work.  Forest Gumps are the dread champions of the Kingdom of God!   It's the  simple faithfulness without guile that does it.  Taking each day and loving whoever crosses your path. Letting God be God and living with Jesus in your heart.   

For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called : but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are: 1 Corinthians 1:26-28

There is a daily Kingdom life that is basic, faithful, simple, easy, and loving others,  Live there.

17. The Kingdom of God Is A Family.
When I began my quest for the Kingdom I was looking for a system. What I discovered was a family.  Every family has a system  that can be described and documented. But trying to figure out the Kingdom by looking for a system is like reading books on marriage rather than being married.  

God gave family descriptions for life in His kingdom:

Our Father - is  "Daddy" "And because ye are sons, God sent forth the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Gal.5:6

We Are Adopted as Sons  For ye received not the spirit of bondage again unto fear; but ye received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.  Romans 8:15

We Live In A Household  So then ye are no more strangers and sojourners, but ye are fellow-citizens with the saints, and of the household of God, Ephesians 2:19

We Have A Home  In my Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.  John 14:2

We Wait For An Inheritance 
and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him , that we may be also glorified with him. Romans 8:17

We Are A Bride   And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. Revelation of John 21:2

We Will Be Blessed At The Marriage Feast
 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they that are bidden to the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are true words of God.  Revelation of John 19:9

Obviously, God's entire Kingdom  is larger than we can comprehend. But our part in it is the family part.  If you want to participate in the Kingdom of God, participate in the family.

18. God's Love Is The DNA Of The Kingdom

Though I began my journey responding to God's love, I soon treasured other features of the Christian life even more. Like most western Christians, I sought great speaking, prophecy, and supernatural mysteries. I coveted miracle working  faith.  I could give, and perhaps make a total sacrifice.  But  I  became totally  frustrated with that life as a Christian. This led to the ineffectiveness Paul spoke of.  

" If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor , and if I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profiteth me nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

I didn't know why I was unfulfilled until I experienced His love. The greatest is love. It radically changed me.   It is the life blood of the Kingdom. It is God's DNA in everything that is His.  

But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

Why is love the greatest?
Because God is love. Love is what makes a house into a home, and relations  into a family.  If you want to abide in the Kingdom, then  abide in His love.  Do you want to know the Father? Find out what's on His heart!  It's love!

And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him. I John 4:16

When I received this love it revolutionized my life. Now I hungered to  let His love flow in me. Many old ways died and many new things have been discovered. God's love is the greatest.

19. He Puts His Love In Our Hearts. This is Kingdom Life
Kingdom life is a gift.  We are born again into the Kingdom of god, and receive God's life.   We now share the family DNA. We are brothers of Christ.

whereby he hath granted unto us his precious and exceeding great promises; that through these ye may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in that world by lust.
II Peter 1:4

The love of God is the family DNA and it is given to us. We are not making ourselves more loving, but  the same love the Father put into Jesus is put into us by the Holy Spirit. Jesus prayed for it, and the Holy Spirit imparts it.

".....that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:26

".... the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. Romans 5:5

The Life of the Kingdom is a gift. We are called to BE WHO WE ARE in Christ. We have the same nature as Jesus and the Father.  I simply live this life of who I am in Christ. I don't make it happen, I abide in it.

20. The Church is About Relationships
In 1990 the Lord led me to think of the church in terms of relationships.  The institution of church ran in my veins. I always wanted to 'create something" and owned it again and again. Ambition,  competition, jealousy and pain were the results.  For a long time I missed  one of the most important statements of Jesus   "I will build my church" (Matt 16:18)  I was trying to build what was His to build.

The church should not be confused with  the Kingdom of God.  The church  is "ecclesia", the saints gathered together. This is  the relationship of God's people within the larger Kingdom.  When we look in the New Testament  the church is not institutional,  it's relational.   It's friends telling friends about Jesus. It's eating together, praying together, traveling together and telling others the good news of Jesus and seeing God work.    It's about joy from house to house and sharing with those in need.  This is relationship.  Theres not an institution found, only an unseen Kingdom working through every man.

I'm asking God to restore the vibrant  simple, organic life of being a Christian  and the church. It is challenging, because in our  culture we have very shallow relationships.   Instead, we fill life with things. Our  thing was  institutional Christianity and ministry. It was only when I moved outside of the institution that I saw how much relationship we were missing.

21. Love In The Church Is the key To The Kingdom In The World

My final point is the most hopeful.  When love is in the church, the Kingdom comes on the scene.  This was true in the first church.  They exhibited the most love of any church, and saw the Kingdom of God shake the city. Why is love in the church the key to the Kingdom today?

a. ) Christian Love causes men to see the King.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.  John 13:35

b.) Christian love moves God to command a blessing  Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity! ....For there Jehovah commanded the blessing, Even life for evermore. Psalm 133

c.)  By Christian love the church is built into a holy temple. God's glory can be manifest there.  in whom each several building, fitly framed together, groweth into a holy temple in the Lord; 22 in whom ye also are builded together for a habitation of God in the Spirit Ephesians 2:21,22

A few years ago I would have said we needed all sorts of things to reach the world. Revival and power. Spiritual mapping and warfare. Miracles and healings. Today I say the love of God working in His people is the hope for the church and the world.  We don't need more power and miracles, more preaching and programs.

We need the Jesus kind of love, the "love anointing",  flowing through the church.  Then we will lay down our selfish ambitions and divisions. We will prefer and help one another.  Religious control will gave way to true service. When the Father sees the same motivation of heart that is in Him, He will come on the scene. He will not wait.

For the eyes of Jehovah run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. ..II Chronicles 16:9

To have a perfect heart is to have His heart.  Father, may your Kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Amen

Terry Somerville
Total Change Ministries
www.totalchange.org

mariateresatee

Posted: 10/29/2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote mariateresatee

"A few years ago I would have said we needed all sorts of things to reach the world. Revival and power. Spiritual mapping and warfare. Miracles and healings. Today I say the love of God working in His people is the hope for the church and the world.  We don't need more power and miracles, more preaching and programs."

I'm dicovering this, too!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version