RaisingThe
Dead

Billy Graham's
Message to
America - Video

How I Escaped
the
Mormon Temple

Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
OpenHeaven.com Forum : Encountering Life's Issues - Is there a God? Is God real?
Subject Topic: hypothetical situation Post Reply Post New Topic
Author
Jess Cousineau

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01/24/2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

This is my hypothetical situation:

Imagine if you're whole life you dreamt of eating candy. And even though other people had candy, for some reason in your life, you could never, ever, have any. It just never worked out that way. Then one day you get soooo depressed and then, God takes you to a candy store (!!!) but asks you  not to eat any candy. (possibly forever). What do you do? I keep getting upset and crying to God that I don't understand but ok even though it is a struggle, and He says I'm being like a yo-yo going back and forth. And He called me a piglet. (God! ) I keep repenting of that but I don't know to overcome it. Any advice for me?
View Jess Cousineau's Profile Search for other posts by Jess Cousineau
Jess Cousineau

Posted: 01/25/2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jess Cousineau

you can delete this... it was kind of dumb of me to post it.
View Jess Cousineau's Profile Search for other posts by Jess Cousineau
Mandy Gay

Posted: 01/26/2009 at 2:23am | IP Logged Quote Mandy Gay

Hi Jess,

It's not dumb at all to try and express your struggles and try to get help.  That is wise not dumb!  It'd be dumb to not seek help with something you're struggling with.

In your hypothetical situation, it seems that candy has become an addiction, the thought of not having it causing distress.  As we grow up we resort to using coping mechanisms for dealing with the stresses in our lives.  Food or candy addiction is one such coping mechanism.  It's a way of providing comfort when stressed or anxious.  You can probably think of many more that people use.  They give the illusion of working, but in reality they don't do a very good job, and they cause other problems such as overweight.  It's the enemy's cunning, to get us to do something that's not good for us then to make us feel ashamed for doing it.

At the end of your writing you say you keep repenting but don't know how to overcome it.  I've been there too and it is very depressing, I know.  That's because there is a deep seated reason why we turn to candy, or whatever else it may be, and it's this that needs fixing.

Repentance is coming to Jesus, confessing the mess we're in, taking responsibility for it and acknowledging that we can't fix it ourselves.  When we come to the end of ourselves and admit that we can't do it, that's a good place to be in.  The next part is to invite Jesus to do it for us.  We give the whole mess to him and trust him to fix it.  It may take a bit of time, but we can be sure he's working on it.

So I reckon you're in a good place Jess!  You just need to make the next step, which is surrendering all to Jesus for him to sort out.  This is the best bit.  It's his job, not yours.  It's the same as needing healing.  We can't do it ourselves, only Jesus can.  It's good when we realize we can't do it and stop beating ourselves up because we can't.  You're not a failure because you can't overcome it, you're no different to the rest of us.

Love Mandy

View Mandy Gay's Profile Search for other posts by Mandy Gay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version