Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06/23/2007 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Tithes Outlined - By Terry Somerville

terry

Dear Friends
Maybe you are wondering if I'm still around. It's been a few weeks since I sent out the newsletter. Well.... Karen and I were able to celebrate our 29th anniversary in Hawaii! Praise God for the blessings of air miles and time shares! Wow! I haven't snorkled with sea turtles since I lived in Bermuda.

In the process I'm learning more about being a steward of all He gives. I had an experience of the Lord liberating me to enjoy His blessing in our lives. It was a time God wanted us to enjoy and He told me so.  For instance,  I wanted to rent a car on line. I could take the economy job, or a jeep. Usually I'm too cheap for the jeep, but I felt the Lord saying "just enjoy my blessing". This happened a number of times, and again the lesson was that God is my provider, and I need to enjoy and trust Him, even in blessings. This reminds me of the old testament festival tithe.  You may not have heard of this so let me outline things for you.

Tithes Outlined
First, I need to emphasize that in the bible the tithe was always agricultural, not money.  Why? Because the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, but money is a work of man. (whose picture is on it?)  In fact if someone wanted to  use money there was a 20% penalty added to it. Lev. 27:30,31. 

There are three  tithes in the bible:
1. The annual first fruits tithe, that supported the Levites at the temple in Jerusalem. Numbers 18:21
2.The annual festival tithe also brought to Jerusalem.  Duet 14:22-26
3.The local storehouse tithe every third year, that  supported the orphans, poor and sojourner as well as the levites living in the area. Duet.14:28,29  (This is the tithe of Malachi chapter 3)  

The Festival Tithe
The festival tithe is amazing. You probably never heard it preached at church. It was basically  the tithes of produce after the first fruit. The families went to Jerusalem and partied before the Lord!  In fact it says if they could not transport it physically, they could change it to money, buy and enjoy all their heart desired. Listen to this.

Duet 14:22 Thou shalt surely tithe all the increase of thy seed, that which cometh forth from the field year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before Jehovah thy God, in the place which he shall choose, to cause his name to dwell there, the tithe of thy grain, of thy new wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herd and of thy flock; that thou mayest learn to fear Jehovah thy God always. 24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it, because the place is too far from thee, which Jehovah thy God shall choose, to set his name there, when Jehovah thy God shall bless thee; 25 then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thy hand, and shalt go unto the place which Jehovah thy God shall choose: 26 and thou shalt bestow the money for whatsoever thy soul desireth, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul asketh of thee; and thou shalt eat there before Jehovah thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou and thy household.

Imagine, you and your family spending your tithe to party before the Lord. Using God's money to rejoice! Yes, even strong drink! Amazing!   

Did I think I was spending my festival tithe in Hawaii?  No, nothing like that - it's impossible anyway. I didn't tithe agricultural produce, I'm not a Israelite. I don't live on God's promised land,  and I didn't go to Jerusalem.  But God reminded me that, even under the law, he appointed times for His people to eat their fill and enjoy being His children. All from His tithe no less!!  

Part of being a steward and servant in God's kingdom is times blessing and rejoicing from our Lord.  Part of being a son is realizing we get to enjoy the Fathers House. In response to His resentment for the party, the father of the prodigal told his other son  "all that I have is yours."  Jesus and disciples enjoyed how God blessed them and the critics accused Him of being a glutton, and wine bibber. 

It's not religion folks. The Kingdom of God is "righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost." The Kingdom is increasing and we have GOOD NEWS. It's great!

Blessings
Terry Somerville
www.totalchange.org
View Moderator's Profile Search for other posts by Moderator
Pamela Helmick

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06/27/2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote Pamela Helmick

wow, I like your article.

View Pamela Helmick's Profile Search for other posts by Pamela Helmick

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post Reply Post New Topic